NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Double Whammy? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/56453-double-whammy.html)

GI6607 10-14-2008 01:53 PM

Double Whammy?

I was diagnosed with MG almost two years ago after verifying tests came back from Mayo's. I have attempted to maintain a normal lifestyle, working as a Defense Contractor after recent military retirement, attending all my high school kid's sporting events and taking care of our eight acres. I take CellCept and Mestinon daily. The only problems I can't ignore are the weak eyes, fatigue and muscle weakness to the point that for the past few days I have not been able to lift my left arm more than a few inches.

The question I have is how much of the muscle weakness can be attributed to MG and how much is residual from polio I contracted as a 12-year old in 1959? Many of the symptoms of post-polio syndrome and MG seem the same.

In 1959 I was hospitalized for a couple of months, undergoing the Sister Kenny treatments, spinal taps and water therapy, muscle stretching and learning how to walk again. I had a year and a half of physical therapy afterwards. After returning home from the hospital, being a farm kid, I continued with normal activities and even played football for a year in high school before enlisting in the Army after convincing the medical folks at the military entrance exam that I could serve successfully after they told me they were rejecting me. I ended up with 41 years of military experience.

Since both MG and polio are neurologically related, I wonder if both have a hand in the muscle weakness and neurological sleep apnea I was diagnosed with a few months ago.

Does anyone know of people who have had both diseases?

erinhermes 10-18-2008 06:49 PM

Welcome to neurotalk!

First off, let me say a big "howdy" and welcome! You will love this site! Everyone here is so wonderful and friendly!:D

Secondly, your question is intriguing, but probably a neuro would be your best source for info. Since I am only 34, I know very little about Polio - other than it is scary - :eek:

I have also recently been diagnosed, and know how hard this disease can be emotionally. I hope you hve a good support system. You have already takn a big step and that is finding this site! It has been great for newbies like me:D!

If you want to talk, please respond!

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Take care!
ERin:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by GI6607 (Post 388217)
I was diagnosed with MG almost two years ago after verifying tests came back from Mayo's. I have attempted to maintain a normal lifestyle, working as a Defense Contractor after recent military retirement, attending all my high school kid's sporting events and taking care of our eight acres. I take CellCept and Mestinon daily. The only problems I can't ignore are the weak eyes, fatigue and muscle weakness to the point that for the past few days I have not been able to lift my left arm more than a few inches.

The question I have is how much of the muscle weakness can be attributed to MG and how much is residual from polio I contracted as a 12-year old in 1959? Many of the symptoms of post-polio syndrome and MG seem the same.

In 1959 I was hospitalized for a couple of months, undergoing the Sister Kenny treatments, spinal taps and water therapy, muscle stretching and learning how to walk again. I had a year and a half of physical therapy afterwards. After returning home from the hospital, being a farm kid, I continued with normal activities and even played football for a year in high school before enlisting in the Army after convincing the medical folks at the military entrance exam that I could serve successfully after they told me they were rejecting me. I ended up with 41 years of military experience.

Since both MG and polio are neurologically related, I wonder if both have a hand in the muscle weakness and neurological sleep apnea I was diagnosed with a few months ago.

Does anyone know of people who have had both diseases?