NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/)
-   -   Rheumatoid arthritis (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/569-rheumatoid-arthritis.html)

jccgf 09-08-2006 08:07 AM

Rheumatoid arthritis

A gut feeling for joint inflammation - using coeliac disease to understand rheumatoid arthritis. PMID: 16530013 April 2006
Quote:

Major advances have been made in the molecular understanding of coeliac disease, initiated by the identification of intestinal gluten-reactive T cells. It is now clear that this common intestinal disorder, which is precipitated by the ingestion of wheat gluten, is mediated by DQ2-restricted T cells specific for gluten peptides modified by transglutaminase 2, the same enzyme that is targeted by disease-specific autoantibodies. Interestingly, many of the important features identified in coeliac disease, including HLA association, target organ T-cell infiltration, disease-specific autoantibodies and the distinct targeting of in vivo modified antigens, are also present in rheumatoid arthritis. The experiences from coeliac disease should therefore help identify disease-relevant T-cell epitopes in rheumatoid arthritis.
PMID: 16530013

graceperson 09-11-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jccglutenfree (Post 3998)

Great find Cara! My cousin was falling apart at the same time as my twin and I only she was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. It took her a bit of convincing, but she finally went gluten free and is in total control of her RA now.

Grace

jccgf 09-11-2006 03:53 PM

This is why we need the history retianed on these forums (will old BT ever be back?)...for all the excellent case histories we present :).

NancyM 09-11-2006 05:44 PM

I wonder if this is also applicable to other autoimmune arthristises?

Cara, how do you find the complete article? All I ever see are the abstracts and clicking on the journal link usually doesn't take you directly to the article?

jccgf 09-11-2006 07:54 PM

Most articles aren't available for free in full text, at least not for a period of time...ranging from months to years, depending on the journal. So, without a subscription, most of the time we have to settle for the abstract.

I think you can usually find and read the articles at medical libraries, or if you are lucky and somebody you know has a subscription for online access.

Cara

Buttons 07-21-2007 05:40 PM

Anyone trying gluten free diet here?

I'm bringing this back up (have not been active here for awhile). The first of June I was forced to go on a strict low-carb diet because my diabetes was making my eyes at risk for blindness. I realized I was also pretty much gluten free on the diet.

I just posted about my new bone pain symptom,now it's making me wonder if reduction in gluten could be causing my bones to hurt? Don't laugh-I'm serious!

I also suffer from a movement disorder called essential myoclonus. Four days into this diet I had one of the worse episodes in the past 8 years! I was afraid I'd literally fall off my bed from the uncontrollable jerking ( I have full body jerks). When I mentioned this on a gluten forum I was told it might be from my body adjusting to getting gluten out of my diet. This makes sense.

If anyone has tried going gluten free I hope you will post your experience.
Thanks,Buttons

SnooZQ 07-23-2007 12:42 PM

Will they link it to Seroneg celiac????

I can't help wonder whether they'll ever make a connection between seronegative RA & seroneg celiac?

I have the seroneg RA (not uncommon when symptoms start in early childhood), and I have severe gluten intolerance, discovered 3 yrs. ago, -- but likely a lifelong issue. Both my kids have wheat allergy, one also w/tTg & IgG Gliadin positive. The other kid's celiac AB status is not known, would have to do a gluten challenge & for health reasons, can't.

I was a poster child for celiac, complete with the slow growth rate, anemia, enamel defic., hospitalized 3X for mysterious gut pain.

Best wishes.

SnooZQ 07-23-2007 12:46 PM

Buttons

If you have increasing pain as a result of low carb diet, a few ideas come to mind.

1. Are you checking ketones along w/blood sugars. *very important*

2. Low carb diet if combined w/ thyroid disorder is sometimes can increase pain.

3. Is it possible that you're sensitive/intolerant to *some food* that was increased in your diet as the carbs disappeared.

4. If you love spices, tomato, eggplant, or are using a lot of nonorganic soy, ck. out possible nightshade intolerance. Potato is also on the nightshade list, however it's off of most low-carb diets.

Best wishes.