NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Burning/tingling pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/56941-burning-tingling-pain.html)

barb02 10-17-2008 03:54 PM

Burning/tingling pain

I have dealt with this pain since being diagnosed, and gabpentin (generic neurontin) has helped to control it. I essentially experience this in my left forearm and on the top/left side of my head. For the past four weeks, it has become increasingly worse. The burning in my arm is merely anoying, and most of the time I can ignore it. But my head is driving me crazy, and it gets worse throughout the day although it is not constant. I has also been experiencing sharp pains in the same area of my head although that seems to have lessened over the past 2 days.

My neuro has increased my dosage of gabpentin (about 8 days ago) but it is not helping. I now take 900 mg in the morning, 600 mg in the mid afternoon, and anther 900 mg at night. I was taking 600 mg each time. Does anyone else experience this on their heads? Has anyone found anything else to help? I am feeling desperate. I am supposed to call my neuro toward the end of next week if I am still having a problem.

weegot5kiz 10-17-2008 06:48 PM

Barb wish I had an answer for you, sorry i dont though just a :hug: i would think the increased dose would of helped, any chance of building up tolerances to this med? again :hug:

Erin524 10-17-2008 08:54 PM

I have a weird cold/extremely sensitive spot on my right elbow, it's been there for maybe two or three weeks. Sometimes it'll run up the back of my arm to my shoulder and neck. (I'm guessing my lesion at C-4 must be awake)

It doesnt really burn tho, more of a big cold spot.

CayoKay 10-17-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb02 (Post 390287)
But my head is driving me crazy, and it gets worse throughout the day although it is not constant. I has also been experiencing sharp pains in the same area of my head although that seems to have lessened over the past 2 days.

it sounds like you may be describing Trigeminal Neuralgia...

it's my least favorite symptom of MS.

Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN), also known as tic douloureux, is an acute, piercing, electric shock-like pain in the those regions of the face served by the Trigeminal (5th) Cranial Nerve (CN V).

In MS, TN is often accompanied by feelings of numbness or paraesthesia. In multiple sclerosis, the most likely cause of Trigeminal Neuralgia is lesion damage to the Pons region of the Brainstem where the 5th cranial nerve arises.

Trigeminal Neuralgia is one of the more painful conditions to have to live with and can eat into the fibre of your soul.

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/trigeminalneuralgia.html

more here:

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/news/A...Neuralgia.html

hope you learn something of value there... Neurontin (Gabapentin) never worked for me.

the only thing that helped is Butalbital (Fioricet)

:hug:

hang in there honey...

:grouphug:

fouf 06-25-2009 02:54 PM

I think I get it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb02 (Post 390287)
I have dealt with this pain since being diagnosed, and gabpentin (generic neurontin) has helped to control it. I essentially experience this in my left forearm and on the top/left side of my head. For the past four weeks, it has become increasingly worse. The burning in my arm is merely anoying, and most of the time I can ignore it. But my head is driving me crazy, and it gets worse throughout the day although it is not constant. I has also been experiencing sharp pains in the same area of my head although that seems to have lessened over the past 2 days.

My neuro has increased my dosage of gabpentin (about 8 days ago) but it is not helping. I now take 900 mg in the morning, 600 mg in the mid afternoon, and anther 900 mg at night. I was taking 600 mg each time. Does anyone else experience this on their heads? Has anyone found anything else to help? I am feeling desperate. I am supposed to call my neuro toward the end of next week if I am still having a problem.

Hi there!
I've had two attacks since first Dx a bit over a year ago and I too have severe pain but only during an attack. I don't know if you are experiencing the same thing.

I have pain that shoots down my legs and arms, it is horrible! I just feel like shaking it off but obviously, that doesn't work. As for my head, I get very very sharp shooting pain in a specific spot for 10 seconds to a few minutes and then it goes away. Then the same pain will come back in another specific spot and do the same thing. Now when I'm talking sharp pain, I mean stop moving and wait 'till it passes and I feel some sort of pressure behind my eyes at the same time (hard to explain).

I talked to my neuro about the pain and he dismissed it pretty quickly considering the amount of it I was experiencing. I'll take note of what you are taking so that maybe next time (hopefully in 30 years... hahaha) I will have a way out. He wanted to prescribe some sort of Codeine or something.

Hope you can relate a bit. As for this being Trigeminal Neuralgia.. I don't think that's what it is since I don't have it in my face... it's really my head!!

watsonsh 06-25-2009 03:52 PM

Having the exact same symptoms. I dont have MS though.

Mine is coming from some nerves that were recently damaged by a herpes zoster virus. My trigeminal nerve was affected as is my occipital nerves. It affects my arm becasue the c3 nerve innervates the trap muscle and when the nerves are overfiring they cause all these muscle spasms.

The neurontin helps but I am growing tired of the weight gain from it. I go back to the pain doc to talk about other alternatives.

barb02 06-25-2009 04:35 PM

Well, I eventually increased my neurontin up to 900 mg, three times per day and it did help. But about a week ago, the pain returned. I can handle it in my arm, but the burning on the top of my head can really be irritating. I have gained quite a bit since being on neurontin. I have tried to cut back a few times, but the burning then returns again:( Weirdly, it gets worse as the day progresses. I am going to try to ride this out and see if it gradually lessens as I do not want to increase the neurontin again.

Fouf -- I would not describe my sensations as a sharp pain. Rather, it is a burning, tingling pain that lasts for hours in the same spot.

april1848 06-25-2009 06:56 PM

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I don't have the symptoms you describe, but I can empathize, because most of my symptoms are sensory/pain. Today it hit 91 degrees. I've been feeling pretty well for a week or so, but today I dealt with L'Hermittes, phantom itching on my calves, a strange (but funny) twitching in a small area on my left butt cheek, and my left foot has felt soaking wet all day. Also, the symptom that sent me to the doctor in the first place when I didn't know I had MS returned today. It's a very sharp, burning pain in a small area on my back, as if a hot poker is stabbing me. I re-started gabapentin a month ago, but so far it hasn't done a thing. I'm hoping it will "kick in" soon. It gives me hope to hear it's working for you.

My symptoms always get worse as the day progresses too. I think it's because we get so tired, and the fatigue just makes everything feel worse. I hope you feel better soon!!