NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Movement Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/movement-disorders/)
-   -   Aspartame & myoclonus (https://www.neurotalk.org/movement-disorders/58203-aspartame-myoclonus.html)

Buttons 10-29-2008 05:29 PM

Aspartame & myoclonus

Long time since I've posted here. I finally gave up my last diet soda earlier this year & guess what? I no longer have severe myoclonic jerks!

Just thought I'd share this with you.

ali12 10-31-2008 07:51 AM

That is great news ... thank you so much for sharing this exciting news with us!! I am so glad you got some relief, just by changing your diet!!
I have the Myoclonic Jerks and Dystonia has a result of a chronic neurological condition and know how horrible they can be. Your post has given me hope that things can improve!!
Thanks!!

dllfo 11-10-2008 11:24 AM

Around 1998 I called my Orthopedic Surgeon's office, requesting surgery ASAP. When the Dr. called me back I told him it felt like metal jaws were tearing the flesh off my thigh bones, I was ready for the surgery in 15 minutes if he was ready. He told me next Tuesday was the fastest time he could get me into surgery, then proceeded to quiz me about my diet and my diet drinks. I was a little angry that he wanted to discuss my dietary habits until he told me about Aspartame. My Son-In-Law runs a medical lab at a large hospital in the midwestern USA, and he also asked me how many diet sodas I consumed in a day. I told him quite a few.

Both told me to stop all diet drinks until further notice. Within a couple of days I had NO pain in my thigh areas. Aspartame was the culprit.

My Son-In-Law faxed me some articles about Aspartame and I started avoiding it.

Diet Rite Soda is the only diet drink that uses Splenda for sweetener. It tastes a little different, but I am used to it now.

I did not have the surgery and don't appear to need it. That all happened around ten years ago, so ..... good luck with your problems, and watch out for Aspartame in the diet drinks. As I said, Diet Rite is the only one I can drink.

deadlysauce 11-10-2008 06:01 PM

Yes, there is much evidence pointing to toxic build up of aspartame in the system that can cause neurological symptoms! One woman apparently was diagnosed with MS because of it and lost the ability to walk on her own, and was still drinking loads of Diet Coke and when she stopped, she was so much better after a week or so, up and walking and feeling fine!

The best thing for your body, if you do not want to drink calories, is just water. Or water down juice, or mix seltzer and juice to make "soda." I find that I have more headaches when I ingest artificial sweeteners, and it is a known migraine trigger.