NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Colloid Cyst (https://www.neurotalk.org/colloid-cyst/)
-   -   Newly diagnosed with smaller cyst (https://www.neurotalk.org/colloid-cyst/58814-newly-diagnosed-cyst.html)

abloy 11-04-2008 03:31 PM

Newly diagnosed with smaller cyst

So, I've just been diagnosed with an area of hyperintensity on both a CT and a MRI that is most likely a 5mm colloid cyst, with no hydrocephalus.. The problem is that I most likely have a cold right now, with sinus pressure, so I'm having a nasty time telling whether I have symptoms from the cyst or not. I see a neurologist tomorrow, but in the meantime:

1. Am I correct that 5mm is relatively small cyst, and fairly unlikely to be causing symptoms?

2. There seems to be sort of a conflict in the literature I can see on the internet between articles that promote a wait and see approach for small asymptomatic cysts and patients/doctors that advocate removing all cysts immediately.

Thomas Kaup 12-12-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abloy (Post 402253)
So, I've just been diagnosed with an area of hyperintensity on both a CT and a MRI that is most likely a 5mm colloid cyst, with no hydrocephalus.. The problem is that I most likely have a cold right now, with sinus pressure, so I'm having a nasty time telling whether I have symptoms from the cyst or not. I see a neurologist tomorrow, but in the meantime:

1. Am I correct that 5mm is relatively small cyst, and fairly unlikely to be causing symptoms?

2. There seems to be sort of a conflict in the literature I can see on the internet between articles that promote a wait and see approach for small asymptomatic cysts and patients/doctors that advocate removing all cysts immediately.

I think you have to rely on your doctors advice but as for me I think that the danger of this tumor is so great it should not be ignored for long. I had such a tumor diagnosed on 6/6/005 and in the time period of 70 days I started to go critical. The jmportant part of the equation is that yur health may be good now but what will it be like in 2-3 year down the road? The surgery is in my own experience xtreme and it has taken me a lot of time to recover(3-years). I don't want to scare you but if you have a good neurosurgeon it will help immensley. Need to talk more my e-mail is

Myranda Whitfield 08-09-2009 10:06 PM

:confused: 2 weeks ago i was told i have a small colloid cyst. i live in houston texas and due to such bad migraines its hard for me to keep a job long enough to get any insurance. i have a five year old and im really freaking out. Any suggestions

Weaphie 10-05-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myranda Whitfield (Post 549735)
:confused: 2 weeks ago i was told i have a small colloid cyst. i live in houston texas and due to such bad migraines its hard for me to keep a job long enough to get any insurance. i have a five year old and im really freaking out. Any suggestions

The fact that you are having bad migraines makes me concerned. Is that how they found out about your cyst? Did your Dr. suggest removing it or watching it for 6 mnths? Are you on any insurance right now?
Sorry for all the questions, I am just wondering in order to give you the best suggestion for your situation.
Keep Breathing,
-alicia

rabmckean 01-04-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

these are the same symptoms as my wife.It turned out she had a cyst of the 3rd ventricle:eek:...so my advice is to get it operated on!

Isotope 10-29-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Get insurance as soon as possible. Do you know where the cyst is located? Could we get some more information?

I had similar symptoms in the weeks leading up to my first of 5 brain surgeries. The headaches got worse until one day I had trouble walking to my car. When I went to the hospital, they discovered a 12mm colloid cyst in my third ventricle that was obstructing CSF drainage. The hydrocephalus was so severe at that point that the shunt my surgeon placed registered an intracranial pressure of 60 mmHg. I nearly died.

Don't freak out, but do take this seriously. I was reckless, in retrospect.