NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Excruciating nerve pain??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/59012-excruciating-nerve-pain.html)

karilann 11-06-2008 10:29 AM

Excruciating nerve pain???

Okay, I'm getting more and more confused. Yes, I have MS, but is that what is causing my pain?

I've complained of joint pain....then it goes away....and the same with all over achiness (comes and goes).

Now I'm getting really bad pain in my lower back (some relief with stretching) and REALLY bad pain in my neck/shoulder area. If I didn't have MS I would call it a pinched nerve and if I move just right...:eek: nearly brings tears to my eyes. I try everything I can...heat/ice/whirlpool baths....anything to get some relief. I don't know if spasticity is causing this or I have slept wrong and 5 days later it has still not corrected itself.
Yesterday I laid on the floor and couldn't even get up. The pain was excruciating just to put any pressure on my shoulder or neck muscles when trying to get up.

I have seen a chiropractor for different things, but I would actually be scared for him to touch me!!
I'm taking baclofen (10mg) 3 x per day and haven't noticed a difference.

Anyone think this is MS related? Should I try a higher dose of Baclofen? Its like having Sciatica of the neck!!

lady_express_44 11-06-2008 11:25 AM

Well it might be due to the MS directly, or indirectly. Many times we sit or sleep in weird positions to compensate for other aches and pains, and we cause worse ones somewhere else.

Try getting a rx for Naproxen, 500mg (2 times daily), if you can tolerate it. Basically it is Aleve at twice the dosage, but you should get it rx'd at that strength and be monitored by a doc.

I have "lived" on Naproxen, daily for some months, then other times I used it only a few times a year. Often one or two is all I need to bring the 'inflammation' down though.

Cherie

SallyC 11-06-2008 12:00 PM

So sorry or you pain, Karilann....I hope you find relief soon..:hug::hug:

Debbie D 11-06-2008 02:09 PM

Sorry to hear you're so uncomfortable. Docs have several classes of prescription antiinflammatories that they can give you...you really should call for help...
take care:hug:

Judy2 11-06-2008 07:20 PM

I'm so sorry for your pain, Karilann. Truly, I can empathize with you since it's been my constant companion for at least 11 years. Personally the muscle, tendon and ligament pain is from fibromyalgia while the nerve pain is from years of nerve damage due to MS. The naproxin Cherie mentioned is a good thing -- I take two Aleve every morning just to take the edge off. I've tried all the NSAIDS, narcotics, etc., without success. Recently my neuro prescribed the generic for Tegretol which is actually an anti-convulsant drug. First I took 1/2 pill two times a day and it was like a miracle!!!! But after a few days I became so weak, I could barely stand up. Now I save it for extra bad nerve pain days and just take 1/2. Never can remember the name....carbameclasine????...or something like that.

Good luck to you......I know it really affects your quality of life just hurting all the time.

Gentle hugs.........:)

Twinkletoes 11-06-2008 11:46 PM

I don't have pain anywhere near the intensity of yours, but I really noticed a nice improvement after a 75 min. massage therapy session last week.

I hope you are able to find some relief very soon. :hug:

Desinie 11-07-2008 12:48 AM

Feel better soon, Karilann. I know from experience nerve pain is the worst.