NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   Fish Oil (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/59133-fish-oil.html)

Kitty 11-07-2008 02:15 PM

Fish Oil

Does anyone know how much fish oil is considered the optimal dosage? I just bought 1,000 mg fish oil capsules and the directions say 1 or 2 three times a day.

I'd like to just take three per day (versus 6) as they are expensive and I don't want to take extras if they won't provide any additional benefits.

mrsD 11-07-2008 03:29 PM

there are many kinds...

and they shouldn't be expensive.

If they are double strength? Only two a day is needed for most people.

If they are regular type with about 150mg EPA and DHA in them, then 3 a day is more like it.

I always suggest you start at one a day for a week, then increase.

I do know that people with SEVERE autoimmune issues are using 13-15gms a day... of the regular oil. I had a patient with a serious kidney failure that did that with his doctor's supervision and he recovered without a transplant!

Fish oils today are very diverse. There are ones with more EPA (anti-inflammatory= OmegaBrite), or higher in DHA (like my son used for his ADHD= Carlson's super DHA). There is even a vegan EPA now, but it is not high dose.

The RX Lovaza is similar in strength to a double strength OTC type now. We buy that type that is enteric coated and very reasonably priced at both SAM's club and CostCo.

Kitty 11-07-2008 03:58 PM

Thank you! I've tried to do some research on the Internet but there are so many different recommendations it gets confusing!

Here are the Supplement Facts:

Fish Oil 1,000 mg (1 g)
EPA
DHA
Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids 300 mg

That's exactly as it's printed on the bottle. It doesn't break down how many mg's of EPA and DHA are included....just the total.

mrsD 11-07-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herekitty (Post 403905)
Thank you! I've tried to do some research on the Internet but there are so many different recommendations it gets confusing!

Here are the Supplement Facts:

Fish Oil 1,000 mg (1 g)
EPA
DHA
Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids 300 mg

That's exactly as it's printed on the bottle. It doesn't break down how many mg's of EPA and DHA are included....just the total.

That is a typical regular strength fish oil...It should not be expensive...and most others do break them down for each.
They are typically EPA: DHA 1:1... but poor labeling is one thing I look for in a poor product.

MooseasaurusRex 11-07-2008 07:59 PM

Tuna fish sandwiches!

Yeah, I know you didn't ask me. But I take the fish oil pill thingies too. And it made me fall in love with a cheaper alternative/addition.

Some celery seed... mayo... my hand is still goood enough to dice an onion... a slice of tomato and a few strips of bacon and sliced jalepenos.

That's a fish oil plus supplement for me.

mrsD 11-08-2008 03:03 AM

tuna

is not very high in Omega-3s. It is also very poisoned with heavy metals. There are warnings out there now on tuna.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in588142.shtml

I use the pink Salmon in pouches by Chicken of the Sea now.

Smart Balance spreads have Omega-3s in them too.

But basically if one needs to take care of an ILLNESS supplements are needed. Food sources provide enough for daily intake requirements, but are not high enough for therapeutic interventions.

vini 11-08-2008 04:31 AM

thanks all

thanks all

smoked mackerel is very high in the in the brain lube a bit salty though and quite nice with a salad and crusty bread :D
I am taking 1000 mg caps twice a day the label says take one per day with food do not exceed dose but I feel double dosing is ok for me

this is being

vitamin E 10mg
omega 3 fish oil 1000 mg
EPA = 180mg
DHA =120mg

I get them for £ 1 for 45 from www.aldi.com in the uk

dose that sound good for that concentration

I can say I have improved 10% in the month I have been taking it but seems to have leveled off but hey 10% is ok for me

thanks for the info

vini

Kitty 11-08-2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseasaurusRex (Post 404014)
Tuna fish sandwiches!

Yeah, I know you didn't ask me. But I take the fish oil pill thingies too. And it made me fall in love with a cheaper alternative/addition.

Some celery seed... mayo... my hand is still goood enough to dice an onion... a slice of tomato and a few strips of bacon and sliced jalepenos.

That's a fish oil plus supplement for me.

I love tunafish sandwiches! I've just not made them recently cos I like lots of mayo and that's something I'm trying to avoid right now. :(

I didn't know that tuna was dangerously high in heavy metal. Hey, Moose, maybe that's why you like it so much!! Get it....heavy metal....okay it's a lame joke but I had to say it! :p

Now, about the jalepenos peppers....I'd have to leave those off. Can't tolerate hot stuff!

bruegger84 08-14-2010 05:48 PM

i think they higher EPA ones are better overall, because the DHA high ones, make me feel really weird. higher EPA is most likely better for alzheimers, some types of depression, some types of inflammatroy induced cognitive impairment etc etc.

there is one out there now, called omega MOOD, and it seems like a keeper. but lately i just bought the life extensions one-so far so good on this one. seems like a fresh batch