NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Alzheimer's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/alzheimer-s-disease/)
-   -   When the Caregiver Becomes the Patient (https://www.neurotalk.org/alzheimer-s-disease/59547-caregiver-patient.html)

NewsBot 11-11-2008 12:40 PM

When the Caregiver Becomes the Patient

(Psych Central News) According to a new study, one quarter of all family caregivers of Alzheimer’s disease patients succumb to the stress of providing care to a loved one and become hospital patients themselves. Specifically, Indiana University researchers discovered that a quarter of family caregivers of Alzheimer’s dementia patients had at least one emergency room visit or [...]

Read the full article...

From Psych Central News.

jeanb 12-26-2008 01:44 AM

my dad...

We are taking steps to put my Dad in an alzheimer's facility. it is not something we do lightly - but he is increasingly incontinent and his memory and cognition are failing rapidly.

Mother is 81 and two days ago when she said she wished she would die to get away from the burden of caring for him, I knew it was past time to take this step.

He's covered by medicaid - we did that paperwork and all of the government requirement steps all last year to get that set up - thank goodness. So they will take his social security to pay for the care and the rest is left for Mother. Dad's gov't case manager agrees with this step and is helping a lot.

There are 2 alzheimer's facilities in our area and i'll visit them both next week.

Chemar 12-27-2008 09:06 PM

((((((((((((Jean & family)))))))))))))

I pray that you will find a caring facility and that your mom will be able to rest and recover knowing he is in good hands

jeanb 12-27-2008 10:13 PM

thanks

Thank you Chemar,

I hope it all works out. My dad will be angry about this. But it needs to be done. My mother needs rest rest rest.

And I think my dad will be better off in a place where the staff are trained to care for alzheimer's patients.

Jean

DM 01-14-2009 10:43 AM

My thoughts and prayers go out to you too, Jean! We are going through the same thing w/my MIL. She requires 24 hr ''watching'' and it's just impossible to try and care for her by ourselves. She will be going to a Nursing Home this Thurs and it's actually a sigh of relief knowing that she will get her meds on time and have the attn she deserves.

My heart goes out to anyone who is suffering from AD or who has a loved one/friend etc afflicted w/this ailment. It's just so very hard for everyone involved. Good luck Jean and you are doing the right thing. I know it's hard...

jeanb 01-17-2009 08:49 PM

on a list

Thanks for all your good wishes. I found a very nice place near my home -- and Dad is #1 on the list. So when a "male bed" becomes available, we'll move him in. No telling how long it will take, though.

jeanb 02-15-2009 10:58 PM

soon soon

Dad has been accepted by an alzheimer's facility. So we hope to move him there by the end of the month. He'll be only 6 miles away from me (vs 25 miles now). So I'll get to visit him often. good news.

jean