NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Gunna be needing your help again! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/59711-gunna-help.html)

Koala77 11-13-2008 08:13 PM

Gunna be needing your help again!

Many of you may remember that I had half my bowel removed last year in a big cancer operation. I go into hospital next week for my first check up to see if the cancer has returned or not, and DH goes in a few days later to have both his knees fully replaced .... in the one operation. :eek:

It's a very big scary operation, and DH is more than a little frightened by the prospect. He badly needs something done with his knees as it's becoming too painful for him to walk anywhere at all. He has arthritis so badly that when he walks, he has bone grating on bone with every step. :(

The ortho surgeon was the one to suggest having them both done together. He thinks that because DH is fit that he'll do well, and it would be only half the recovery time in the long run than if he had one done and then went back 3-6 months later to have the other knee operated on. It makes sense, and that's the way DH has decided to go. Thank goodness he's kept himself fit.

However............

When his father was just a little older than DH is now, he had a similar operation. His dad had a big stroke under the anesthetic and died the next day. Needless to say, my DH is rather apprehensive about having any type of bone surgery..... especially as he's already had one mini stroke! I'm not real happy about it myself, but it's a chance that DH has decided to take. It's either operate or not walk again I guess!

With him going into hospital I've had to ask for support services for the first time in my life, as my DH usually helps me at home, but he won't be able to help me for some time! I've made phone calls but everyone has been rather slow in getting back to me. There are things I'll need help with like when I have a shower, as I've had falls in the bathroom, and I'm unsafe by myself. Also, I need rails or a seat with handles so I can get off the toilet by myself. Things like that! There's supposed to be an urgent home assessment in the pipeline, but I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.

I know I can count on everyone here, as I'm going to be needing all of your prayers and support when he has this operation, and at least until I have him healthy and back home again with me!

Just thought I'd let you know now so you can add us both to your prayer list. Every little one has to be a help! :)

TwoKidsTwoCats 11-13-2008 08:28 PM

:hug: Koala, I will put you and your DH on my prayer list right now. I can only imagine how worried and scared you are.

A dear friend, who also has MS, recently had one knee joint replaced. She's almost 60 and I was amazed at her recovery. In just under 100 days she was back to walking without her walker. She said it was all because she followed the physical therapist directions exactly.

I will pray for good news for you and excellent outcome for your DH.:hug:

tk

karousel 11-13-2008 08:42 PM

You and your DH will be on my prayer list! :hug::hug:

ewizabeth 11-13-2008 09:07 PM

Koala,
I'll keep you and your DH in my prayers.... :hug:

Gazelle 11-13-2008 09:24 PM

Anne, bravo to your DH for making such a decision. He's scared about it, but he really has to think positively about it. Try to get him to think positively about not having the same thing happen to him as happened to his dad. I know that's probably a tough road to hoe in the mind. But it'll get him in the best place to be mentally for the surgery.

Good for YOU for asking for help. Hopefully whatever is stuck in the system will get unstuck and you get the assistance you need. I don't know if you can manage it financially, but you may be able to temporarily rent some assistive devices from a home medical supply company if the other help doesn't come forward in time.

Knees are tough. I spent 9 mos in physical therapy after a car accident and shoulder surgery in 1994 and saw a lot of patients come through with knee surgeries. Those who did what their therapist told them to do got better quicker. Encourage him. He's going to have it tough with both of them at once, but he knows that in advance. Little advances are good ones. Perspective is going to help.

:hug: to you both. And my prayers will be covering you two as well. :)

SallyC 11-13-2008 09:25 PM

I never took you off my prayer list, and I am adding DH as we speak...er...type.:hug:

NurseNancy 11-13-2008 09:30 PM

here's my thoughts and prayers ahead of time for both you and your dh.
i hope there will be NO cancer and that the help you seek comes quickly.

and i will pray that your dh's surgery goes well and his recovery will also be quick.

lady_express_44 11-13-2008 09:55 PM

Wow, lots going on, eh Koala? :(

Firstly, good luck on your follow-up. I hope and pray you get a clean bill of health on your bowel check-up. :)

Your hubby is very brave. I have two bunions, and even though they said it would be a "quicker" recovery to have both done at once, I couldn't imagine doing that. Of course I can put it off anyway, so that's what I've opted to do for now. :)

So is it a 3 - 6 month recovery for him then, with having both done? How long before he will be able to get around?

I hope you get the assistance you need organized before he goes in. :hug:

I will keep you both in my prayers.

Cherie

FinLady 11-13-2008 09:58 PM

Prayers being sent. :hug:

SandyC 11-13-2008 10:11 PM

Prayers going up. :hug: