NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Article I found: The Truth Behind Night Owls and Morning People (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/60000-article-found-truth-night-owls-morning-people.html)

Mari 11-18-2008 01:24 AM

Article I found: The Truth Behind Night Owls and Morning People

http://www.divinecaroline.com/articl...t-owls-morning

Quote:

A few studies show that character traits may differ between the diurnal and the nocturnal.

A Spanish researcher found that the time of day we prefer to be most active corresponds to certain personality traits. Early risers were more likely to be logical and analytical, and likely to use concrete information as sources of knowledge, whereas those that stayed up late were more imaginative and intuitive.

Another study published in the February 2007 issue of Personality and Individual Differences determined that night owls scored better on creativity tests than did intermediary and morning people.

Quote:

The circadian rhythm, a 24.1-hour period that dictates the sleep-wake cycle, differs among people and can influence whether we are a night owl or a morning lark.

Studies have indicated that self-described morning people have shorter circadian rhythms than self-identified night owls. This means that morning people sleep through their peak hour of sleepiness, so they wake up feeling refreshed.

Evening types usually wake up right around their peak hour of sleepiness, so they may have high levels of melatonin and feel groggy. No wonder it’s tough to rouse them.
The article lists
+body temperature
+hormones: melatonin and cortisol
+genes: they have narrowed down at least one gene
+behavior

Quote:

Researchers estimate that extremes comprise about 10 to 20 percent of the population, with the rest of us falling somewhere on the intermediate spectrum.
And in fact, the majority of us prefer a common point in the 24-hour continuum: daytime

Mari

befuddled2 11-18-2008 02:09 AM

I read something very similar minutes ago.

befuddled2

Mari 11-18-2008 02:43 AM

Hi,
Yes, it was on Yahoo or somewhere.
Mari

Brokenfriend 11-18-2008 04:36 AM

Mari

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting. BF:hug::hug:

waves 11-18-2008 07:08 PM

forgiving and judging

Dear Mari

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 410155)
Waves,
Sleep is good.
You can forgive yourself for sleeping in the day.
At some point, you will switch back to night.

Mari

Thanks Mari. Yes, sleep is good regardless when it happens. :)

Forgive myself... yes, i'll try. or perhaps try not to judge myself for it in the first place. Then i wouldn't even have to forgive myself. But it is hard. Either one.

I am having.... "mental health issues" ;) (as Bizi put it - love it!) and environmental triggers. I am still more depressed than i thought... it is not secondary to anxiety, and have become more anxious again (reactive anxiety). It seems it only takes a kick from someone when i'm starting to feel better to knock me out for the count and KO for several days or weeks, depending.

this is not good. i too want to be well, desperately. there is no one here (physically) who understands what i am up against except my t-pdoc.

i live in a noisy environment and i cannot wear earplugs 24/7 (i wear them often). i hate noise. i am so sensitive to everything. all of that is absent in the night. true, i have to be quiet too, i couldn't sing or anything, but oh well, in the day i don't dare.

and apart from always having been a night owl, the night feels somewhat "safer" for me when i am like this. also more private. i still fought sleep the pattern - with some success, but yesterday was a bad day, so i did not fight sleeping in the day... hence the "set back." sleep is an escape, and i don't need one in the night.

~ waves ~