NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Service & Support Animals (https://www.neurotalk.org/service-and-support-animals/)
-   -   Service Dog/Partner Graduation (https://www.neurotalk.org/service-and-support-animals/60095-service-dog-partner-graduation.html)

azoyizes 11-19-2008 07:58 AM

Service Dog/Partner Graduation

I have a wonderful service dog named Montana. He's a black Lab who has been with me now for almost one year. Next month, St. Francis Service Dogs is having graduation for all the partners who were given dogs this year.

I am excited and nervous. This summer, each of us was filmed working with our dogs. We also had to fill out ten essay questions, which were things like how my service dog has changed my life, what were my expectations, and what does my dog do for me. Each video will be shown while an announcer reads the questions and answers each person submitted. Then, each partner will say a few words and that is what scares me, I get nauseous when I think about talking in front of a large group of people.

There is a reception afterwards. I've invited some close friends who know and love Montana, and who have seen how he has improved my life. Graduation is less than three weeks away, so wish me luck! :)

Doody 11-19-2008 10:37 AM

((azoyizes)) That's wonderful! I'm sure you love Montana very much. When you speak, maybe you can focus on that love you have for him and just speak from your heart. He is gorgeous! :hug:

I would say good luck, but I know you'll do great. :)

SandyC 11-19-2008 12:16 PM

You'll do just fine. Speak from the heart and let it flow. :hug:

ali12 11-19-2008 04:21 PM

That's great!! I'm sure you will do just fine - I know what you mean about being nervous about talking in front of large groups of people, I get so nervous just thinking about it and start going really clammy!! Just do some deep breathing and i'm sure it will all go fine!

Montana is beautiful - I love the pic of him in your avatar!

Let us know how it goes when you can.

Take care
Alison

azoyizes 11-19-2008 08:57 PM

Thanks. Someone told me to just imagine everyone sitting there in their underwear. :D I'm going to be reading most of what I want to say, because my mind goes blank so much of the time anyway. :Speechless: Also I get emotional, then I cry. I don't want to sit up on stage with tears running down my face. :Sob: I'll post pictures, and let you all know how it goes. :)

Doody 11-20-2008 07:30 PM

I can hardly wait to hear about it and YES please post some pictures of Montana!

You'll be great! :hug:

tovaxin_lab_rat 11-22-2008 11:30 AM

Good luck....

Did you see my post asking questions about service dogs?

Question about training adult dogs for service dogs.

Do you have some information about the organization who is helping you with the training? Do they have a website?

I would love to get some information about them.

Thanks and that's good advice about imagining everyone in their underwear!!! Just take deep breaths and talk from your heart! You will do fine!!!

:hug:

azoyizes 11-22-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8rgirl (Post 412646)
Good luck....

Did you see my post asking questions about service dogs?

Question about training adult dogs for service dogs.

Do you have some information about the organization who is helping you with the training? Do they have a website?

I would love to get some information about them.

Thanks and that's good advice about imagining everyone in their underwear!!! Just take deep breaths and talk from your heart! You will do fine!!!

:hug:

I don't think I saw your post. Montana was fully trained when I got him. St. Francis Service Dogs will accept only Virginia residents as candidates. I was lucky, because I live about 15 minutes from the training center. :) Their website is:

http://www.saintfrancisdogs.org/