NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Dry mouth (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/60765-dry-mouth.html)

dmplaura 11-25-2008 04:41 PM

Dry mouth

Perhaps this is due in part to Clonazepam, or the various other medications in the last several months I've been subject to (anti depressants come to mind).

In any event, let's talk salivation.

I've been a mouth breather FOREVER. I suffered with terrible sinus troubles as a child, and got into this habit then. It never much caused me a thought, until recently when I quit my excessive smoking habit and my poor mouth was trying to heal from that, and couldn't because at night it would dry out and be raw when I woke up.

Electric heat during the winter... doesn't help matters! Lining up little cups of water on the registers can to a degree.

I've resorted to taping my mouth shut to sleep. Frank before you say anything, Tabasco sauce is not harmed in the making of this mouth! LOL. Tape is the only thing to ensure that I don't wake up with raw and tender tongue and dry cheeks inside.

I do find however that my throat now suffers! It's the dry when I wake up from the nose breathing. Also I find I wake up quite a bit, I would assume in part due to the discomfort factor of the tape, but I also believe that I am not breathing 100% capacity through my nose still.

Now go figure, I would contact my ENT about this (who I love because, he basically found my MS), but long story short there was a fire in their building, so they're out of commission there for a couple weeks.

I know about the breathe right strips... are they worth the investment? Could that alone stop the mouth breathing? Or would I still likely be prone to breathe through the mouth?

Other than drugs, I wonder if anything else contributes to this...although in waking I don't seem to have a problem with saliva. Only when I sleep!

Gazelle 11-25-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmplaura (Post 414276)
Other than drugs, I wonder if anything else contributes to this...although in waking I don't seem to have a problem with saliva.

Yes. In a word: living.

Have you considered becoming a member of the "undead"? Mayhaps you would not experience this condition if you did.

Gazelle 11-25-2008 04:58 PM

(Dimpled One, I'm so sorry..... I really wish that I could take this disease and all other things that we get that go along with it less seriously.)

:D

dmplaura 11-25-2008 06:31 PM

LOL Gaz hahahahaha.

Honestly though. Are breathe rights worth the money? I figure if I had some type of easily identifiable nose issue going on, they'd have found it at the ENT or via the millions of xrays/CTs/MRIs I had done :(

Erin524 11-25-2008 06:43 PM

How about putting a humidifier in your bedroom near where you sleep?

I have problems with dry mouth, which is why I'm trying to not take any other medications other than the Copaxone.

What's not helping is the apparent flare that keeps trying to knock me to the floor the past few weeks.

Gazelle 11-25-2008 08:23 PM

I've never tried the Breathe Right strips, so I can't answer your question. Sorry about that. But I do like Erin's suggestion about the humidifier. Might help.

dmplaura 11-25-2008 08:24 PM

Hrm, can dry mouth be attributed to MS as well? :confused:

I didn't think so... but hey, anything's possible huh?

Yeah, humidifier may be something to consider for definite ;)

legzzalot 11-25-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmplaura (Post 414380)
Hrm, can dry mouth be attributed to MS as well? :confused:

I didn't think so... but hey, anything's possible huh?

Yeah, humidifier may be something to consider for definite ;)

Yes breathe right strips are great...once you train your mouth to stop breathing. When I am actually breathing through my nose hte strips work great the problem is, I breathe through my mouth too.

dmplaura 11-25-2008 11:12 PM

Duct tape it is! But I'll try the strips as well ;)

legzzalot 11-25-2008 11:22 PM

LOL duct tape! Silence may be golden but duct tape is silver!

I can't tell you the number of times I have threatened the man with duct tape because of his snoring!