NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Picture Perfect Landing!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/60778-picture-perfect-landing.html)

tovaxin_lab_rat 11-25-2008 07:55 PM

Picture Perfect Landing!!

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/35076034.html#

They say any landing you walk away from is a good one...

So Vic, think we can pick up this plane for a good project???

:D

Two very lucky guys and one very very experienced pilot!!!

SandyC 11-25-2008 09:20 PM

Wow, that was amazing. I thought the plane was going to flip over when the nose went down. If I am on a plane those are the guys I want flying.

Quick question. Why were the front propellers moving? Were they being forced by the wind or were they turning them off? Just curious as I don't know much about flying an airplane. lol

tovaxin_lab_rat 11-25-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 414403)
Wow, that was amazing. I thought the plane was going to flip over when the nose went down. If I am on a plane those are the guys I want flying.

Quick question. Why were the front propellers moving? Were they being forced by the wind or were they turning them off? Just curious as I don't know much about flying an airplane. lol

They shut the engines off just before touchdown and then hand cranked (using the starters) the props so they were parallel with the ground. That prevents any further engine damage with the engine cells/props hit the ground. These guys are professionals!!!

ewizabeth 11-25-2008 09:56 PM

That would have scared me if I'd been a passenger! :eek:

tovaxin_lab_rat 11-25-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewizabeth (Post 414415)
That would have scared me if I'd been a passenger! :eek:

Me, too! :eek:

Victor H 11-25-2008 10:13 PM

I watched it "live" on TV, and the pilot did a great job.

My worry was the amount of AvGas in the tanks, but they resolved that before they landed I think....

-Vic

tovaxin_lab_rat 11-25-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor H (Post 414420)
I watched it "live" on TV, and the pilot did a great job.

My worry was the amount of AvGas in the tanks, but they resolved that before they landed I think....

-Vic

Yes they did Vic. They flew around for about an hour or so to drain down the fuel.

I was at lunch in a restaurant when it was happening and it caught my eye on the TV in the bar. I got up from the table and stood in front of the TV and just stared at the TV watching the whole thing unfold. The bartender came over and stood by me asking me questions. Pretty soon I had a whole bunch of people there by me asking me what was going on. I didn't know what the outcome was at the time but sure was glad everyone was safe.

I have to find out from my friends in Reno and Carson City if they know these guys! They did a great job is right!!!

It pays to know your aircraft and the emergency procedures. Cessna 310s are very difficult because of the critical engine issue. You have to be sure to shut off the right engine first otherwise you can " torque" the airplane.

weegot5kiz 11-25-2008 10:56 PM

well done, he really worked that nose when he landed, hey FG how did he do that with the flaps? he had no power, that was really a good landing

tovaxin_lab_rat 11-25-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weegot5kiz (Post 414440)
well done, he really worked that nose when he landed, hey FG how did he do that with the flaps? he had no power, that was really a good landing

flaps are mechanical, not powered by anything electrical.

Kitty 11-26-2008 05:49 AM

Wow....not sure I could have been that level-headed during an experience like that. So many things to consider and think about and not a lot of time for any mistakes. I think I may have freaked just a little! Guess that's why I don't fly planes, huh?! :rolleyes:

That pilots will have some good stories to share with their grandkids! :)