NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Internet Vent (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/60889-internet-vent.html)

yeahbut 11-26-2008 09:26 AM

Internet Vent

WOW, I just can't believe this!

Ok, back track - last weekend we had trouble with our Satelite Internet not working. Come to find out it is just a really loose power cord in the back plus the wireless modem is shot! After calling Tech Support to get someone to come out and fix the power cord because the cord is worn and we need a new one.

They called this morning to let me know it will be $100 for the service call, $.47 a mile to drive out here (we are a good 100 miles from where the service people are) plus $68.49 for a new cord & $149 for a new wireless box!

I can get all new service for that price! :eek: Needless to say I told them to cancel the service call - DBF can fix it for a lot less than that!

The internet is working as long as no one comes close to the cord and we don't use the wireless.

Ok, I feel better!

Riverwild 11-26-2008 02:21 PM

OMG! Call them and tell them you are a long time customer and you want it free and you want a 6 month discount for your time and trouble or you are going to switch to another service! if you get shut down, ask for customer retention and tell them the same thing! If they shut you down, ask for a supervisor. People are calling and canceling service to save money and it's in their best interest to keep you!

(i don't know who your provider is but this works with that "direct" company!)

SandyC 11-26-2008 02:30 PM

Sounds like a new service is needed or a big huge long call to the managers. I agree, you casn probably fix it yourself.

Kitty 11-26-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverwild (Post 414862)
OMG! Call them and tell them you are a long time customer and you want it free and you want a 6 month discount for your time and trouble or you are going to switch to another service! if you get shut down, ask for customer retention and tell them the same thing! If they shut you down, ask for a supervisor. People are calling and canceling service to save money and it's in their best interest to keep you!

She's right, Char. I got tired of my service constantly not working.....and we're with Charter and I have cable, phone and Internet all on the same bill. So when one went they all went.

I complained that the service was too "iffy" and I could get the same services from AT&T for $99 a month. They switched me to the Retention Dept. and suddenly they could meet that price. I told them to beat that price or I was switching providers. They brought my bill down to $95 a month for all three. I have about $12 in taxes and surcharges added to that. Can't beat that for all three services!

I wasn't going to switch services....it's too much of a hassle....but they didn't have to know that. There alot of competition out there and nobody wants to lose a customer to a competitor.

Good luck..make them earn your business!!

XISLED 11-28-2008 02:05 AM

if i lived near you id be right over but california is a bit of a strech.

roger.

dmplaura 11-28-2008 04:49 PM

When you said "Internet Vent", I got a mental image of this huge vent that would filter all the garbage on the net :p

yeahbut 11-28-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverwild (Post 414862)
People are calling and canceling service to save money and it's in their best interest to keep you!

I have a Wild Blue company who are out of NH - she gave me a name of another company and said they have good service up here! She is giving me her compitions name telling me I should switch!

I called this morning again and asked to talk with a manager - I got the same lady! :eek: She said there was nothing that could be done. After one year the service contract is not covered any longer. There was nothing I could do except pay the cost or change providers. I was so shocked.

DBF is going to try to fix it - it works if you don't move anything! Lose wires that just need to be tightened which he can do. Plus we need to buy a new wireless box - that one got fried during the last wind / rain storm with power surges even though it was hooked to the surge protector.

It is working tonight so that is a good thing!

tovaxin_lab_rat 11-29-2008 10:55 AM

Sounds to me like they don't want your business! :eek:

yeahbut 11-29-2008 11:02 AM

They don't, they are pulling out of Maine - they are a NH company and don't want to deal with out of state any longer. Plus we are locked into a lower rate - I did that when I signed up. I hate to change cause I can't come close to the $39.99 that I pay monthly.

Dejibo 11-30-2008 09:46 AM

COMCAST STINKS!

I just opened my bill, and my service went up ALOT! I got a letter explaining the cost of gas (have they been to the pump? gas is down?) and healthcare costs for employees (they have a crappy plan, how much can it cost?) and the cost of remaining competitive (they are the ONLY provider in this area! wth) that the cost of service would rise as well. The only choice I have is to get satelitte TV, and go back to a land line, which would dramatically raise the cost of my internet service. I am cornered!

I wish I had a choice of providers. When I call to complain, I am told that since no other providers are currently in my area, they have no rates to compare to. ArGH! :mad: