NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) and Health: (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/6092-essential-fatty-acids-efas-health.html)

mrsD 11-11-2006 02:35 PM

Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) and Health:

I am hoping to continue this topic on this forum. This first post is going to be a bit of history (nostalgia for me) as an introduction.

Just over 10 years ago we bought our first computer. This opened the internet to me through my son. At that time I was struggling with some health problems, which I found were related to nutrition and diet. A friend was told by her physican to read "Enter the Zone" a nutrition book by Barry Sears, PhD.
In it were 2 chapters on the chemistry of fatty acids and how they work in the body. Well, a lightbulb went off in head, and I started reading other authors. My friend asked me to read this and explain it to her.

Another one I found was Dr. Donald Rudin, MD--"Omega 3 Oils, a Practical Guide". At that time, the older version of his work was the only one available.

So fortified with this knowledge I started in earnest to provide these oils for myself, son, and husband. Within 3 mos, my GERD was gone, my asthma in remission, my stress symptoms gone, energy up. My son who wanted help with acne issues, tried them and no longer needed his ADHD medication (which he had been on for 5 yrs). His acne also improved dramatically. So I used the internet to search for more information. And what I found, turned my private life and professional attitude completely around. I was just ahead of the herbal "revolution", the complementary movement in medicine. I attended seminars, continuing ed courses and some programs given by one of my employers.

I found OBT forums, and began to look for ways to help others. The data were there, but not commonly in forms readily available to the public. It was still pretty complex, ivory tower stuff. I was attacked, and flamed regularly, for my enthusiasm. Those days, however, have passed.

Today this information has made it to psychiatrists, and medical doctors.
We have RX version of fish oil called Lovasa (previously called Omacor).

We have 2 prenatals now to help new mothers and the developing baby.
PrimaCare
Duet DHA
http://www.primacareefa.com/

We finally have DHA and AA added to infant formulas in USA. (we were just about the last industrialized nation to do so).

We have OTC DHA supplements easy to find:
Neuromins (the original) and
Expecta http://www.meadjohnson.com/professio...ectalipil.html

We have common easily available Omega foods now.
Omega-3 eggs
Smart Balance Peanut butter
Smart Balance spreads (2 types)
Smart Balance mayo
Nutrition bars with Omega-3 (eg: ZonePerfect)
Flax oil cereals
to name but a few

More physicians understand this concept today than before. The family of anti-inflammatories called NSAIDs block the formation of molecules derived from ALA (from flax)--cox-1 and LA (from most other vegetable sources) cox-2. The introduction of cox-2 inhibitors on RX like Vioxx and Celebrex (which are now considered not totally safe for long term use), have also opened the educational doors. The reasons for their negative impact are directly associated with fatty acid chemistry. In fact there are now warnings for all NSAIDs RX and OTC about long term use and possible harm to the cardiovascular system (they suppress an important Cox-2 cytokine that dilates blood vessels).

People still do not understand Omega-3 importance because of this complexity of the chemistry.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/71/1/343S

edit: 1-29-14--removed one dead link, but here is another new
one from Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essenti...d_interactions

Suffice it to say, you don't have to UNDERSTAND it all, but just be aware that documentation that is trustworthy does exist, and therefore we need to take advantage of this knowledge to improve our health, and futures.

So the journey for us/me this past 10 years has been very very exciting.

I am going to be adding to this thread, some of the data from my old EFA threads from the other forum. And new information as it becomes available.
I hope to see others here post on this thread, their experiences, as well.

wendy s 11-11-2006 06:17 PM

Is there a difference between EPA and DHA? Is one more important than the other?

rose 11-11-2006 07:40 PM

Thank you, mrsd.

Because of you I long ago became very aware of the need for Omega 3. I have taken fish oil sporadically, and when I eat meat, chicken, eggs, it is most often grass fed, free range, etc. So my Omega 3 intake is quite good.

I just last week received some results I think I can attribute to those things, along with the fact that I avoid almost all transfats.

My "bad" cholesterol has become slightly high (probably not a surprise at my age), but, my "good cholesterol" is high too. And the ratio causes my cholesterol results to be great. Risk of cardio problem is actually well bellow average because of the ratio.

Love,

rose

mrsD 11-11-2006 08:23 PM

Hi Wendy....

All the the fatty acids have a function.

We can make our own (from the first essential ones-- ALA and LA).

Eventually thru many complex steps we do make EPA and DHA. Females moreso than males. I found a factoid a while back that females convert up to 20% efficiency (because they have to provide DHA for the developing baby), and males only around 4-5% from the essential precursors.

Fish have EPA and DHA in them because they eat smaller fish, who eat
smaller ones, who eat algae that live in the ocean. EPA is considered
more anti-inflammatory, as it inhibits the formation of Cox-2 cytokines (prostaglandins which are microhormones that signal cells) DHA is an integral part of cell membranes, and very important in the nervous system.
Here is what Dr. Sears says:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T040900.asp

EPA has a more global effect in the body, on many systems:
http://pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdru...eic_0104.shtml

They are both important, and they occur together as well.

Humans have extremely high concentrations of DHA in the brain. And this fact has led anthropologists to the theory that humans actually evolved on a fish diet, enabling brain development.

This article is very readable and even has pictures !! something often missing in the subject matter. LOL It explains alot in easy to understand terms.
http://www.fi.edu/brain/fats.htm

I am not a very good writer, and this subject is really hard to convey, so check out that last link. It is very good!

mrsD 11-11-2006 08:39 PM

That is great Rose....

HDLs are where its at now anyway. My hubby's are very high, 73 at last reading!

It is also very important to remove transfats from the diet. The article quoted in the last post has transfat data near the end.

We are slowly getting them out of our food chain, but it is very slowly.
Wendy's has done some removal, and Kentucky Fried Chicken has announce intentions to remove them completely. They are very very common in
restaurant food and are very very bad for us.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._transfat.html

Denmark has completely banned them in that country.

NYCity is discussing a ban for them in restaurants, so you may see more stories in the press about this subject.

With all of these changes, based on the fatty acid chemistries, we should see a significant improvement in cardiovascular health, and neuro syndromes in the future.

mrsD 11-13-2006 04:37 PM

Supplements...

At one time supplements of EFAs were basically the only way to improve
EFA status easily.

Flax oil
Evening primrose/borage/black currant oils
Fish oils

When we started this in our home, I was taking and having my son take,
one cap of each. This was a long time ago.

Now we have many food choices available to us, to make this easier.
I get my ALA Omega-3 from food now. But I do use fish oil now and then,
for my arthritis flares. But not everyday, anymore.

Flax oil is very unstable and oxidizes easily/quickly. Caps should be stored in the frig like the liquid oil itself. Flax oil is the basic essential fatty acid that we need to have every day. The ratio between Omega-3 and Omega 6 should be as close to 1:1 up to 1:5 as possible. In USA the Omega-6 consumption is quite high, so people typically do not need to supplement it. In fact they need to cut back on it some so the ratio becomes closer. The advantage to using flax oil, is that it is the FIRST ingredient in a long chemical sequence for the synthesis of compounds useful to the body. Some is eventually converted to EPA and DHA, but the intermediate uses are also important. People with poor skin/acne, dry skin, mouth sores, etc do well on flax oil supplements.
Flax liquid oil itself tastes better than other oils, and mixes well into food.
You can mix it with cottage cheese, equal parts with butter melted and resolidified makes a good spread, mix into drinks/smoothies, mix with salad dressing ingredients like Good Season's for salads. Now we have several food choices that do this for you. Smart Balance peanut butter has 1000mg of flax oil in each tablespoon. Smart Balance spread also has this done for you.

Evening Primrose oil provides the GLA that is necessary for conversion to long chain fatty acids.

Evening primrose oil has been the most commonly used, and sometimes in high doses. I found however, that only a little of this goes a long way. Really high doses can cause diarrhea. Also there is concern for those with seizure disorders that it MAY (rarely) increase seizure frequency. But the only really documented cases came from those taking antipsychotic drugs and high dose primrose. And these were not many.

At one time very high doses of primrose (or the others supplying GLA) were
used for PMS control, or other female menstrual problems. One can search the net and find many older articles about its various uses.

If you are really aggressive about this subject you can have a fatty acid
blood profile done. Some parents on OBT on the Tourette's board did that years ago. I recall two posts from parents where GLA was found very low or lacking. People vary genetically in the expression and metabolism of fatty acids. There are so many steps and enzymes to go thru, that errors can occur. So testing may be a very good tool if you can have it done.
For example in folate chemistry (a B-vitamin) there have been 25 genetic errors found in folate methylation, so far. So it is very possible that subtle errors in EFA chemistry also lead to disease states as well.

The EPA and DHA definitions are well explained on the post before this.

I contacted EFAMOL corporation years ago and asked about the AA content in their Efalex product. This was the only fish oil product that listed on the label the AA content (arachidonic acid). They answered me that ALL fish oils contain trace amounts of this long chain fatty acid, and it is not removed by distillation/purification processes.
AA is a fatty acid that is very important to developing nervous systems..the fetus, infants and small children. It is included in baby formulas now in this country. However, in huge amounts, it is a precursor to vasoconstriction and
platelet clumping...ie. heart attacks. There are no AA supplements for adults.
However it is common in some foods. Meats, chicken, turkey, eggs are the prime sources. The higher the fat content the higher the AA content. AA levels are lower in Omega-3 eggs.

Here is another complex article on AA..:
http://www.acnp.org/G4/GN401000059/CH059.html

So while supplements do exist, and we use some of them still in our home,
our culture has changed, and provides now food sources to enable people to enrich their diet and not need to swallow capsules of most of the EFAs.

If you want significant anti-inflammatory actions, high dose fish oil may be the only way to go. Eating fish will not provide enough for some conditions. Really high dose use however, should be supervised by a doctor. Fish oil has some anti-clotting effects, and
can interfere with some drug therapies and other treatments. The highest physican supervised patient I have seen was a 12gram/day dose. This was to treat an autoimmune kidney disease/failure (which it succeeded in preventing kidney failure).

edit: 1-29-14....
many links I used to have in this thread have been removed from the internet. They may be still there with new addresses, but that is difficult to find today.

This link to Linus Pauling Institute in Oregon is quite good:
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...nuts/omega3fa/

and
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss11/fats.html

http://www.biologicnr.com/fatty-acids-101/

http://drbenkim.com/articles-omega-3-fatty-acids.htm

This is a link to Thorne about GLA specifically:
http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/9/1/70.pdf

Sydney 11-14-2006 09:04 AM

More questions re: EFA's MRSD

Gosh - I am really trying to understand this. I read all the articles you posted. Since I have FM and RSD I understand that EFA
Omega 3 and 6 are good for inflammation. My diet is very poor for various reasons thus I need the supplements. Now - I am also deficient in Vitamin D (1(18). I have read where a protocal for low D is synthetic 50,000 pils once per week for 4 -6 weeks Or maybe 8. Anyway that does work as I know someone who did it. Her level jumped from 8 to 60 (25-)H) However, my naturopathic dr. says to take the natural D (which contains A also) . I was taking 4,000 natural D a day and then realized I was taking 10,000 A a day. I read where this was the max per day.

Now for the EFA part. The naturopathic dr. also recommended Blue Ice Cod Liver Oil - 1 T a day. The directions on the bottle say one half teaspoon. The ingredients in one half teaspoon are 5,750 A, 575 D , 145-375 EPA and 150-360 DHA. Wow! If I take 1T - I thought I'd really be overdosing on the A. Also, I am taking the D. which contains 1,000 A in every 400 D capsule.
I called to be sure these were the correct directions. He said "yes" I can take 1 T of this CLO because it is natural A not synthetic. I am not overdosing. However, he did say to cut back on some of the natural D and switch to synthetic. Yet , I'm still getting about 36,00 A a day with the CLO.

Questions? Should I just be taking a regular fish liver oil instead of the one with all the A to get the maximum EFA's?
What do you think of the dosage of A in 1T - too high?
I read about the one in the article you posted. which is supposedly recommended. However, it was originated from plants not fish oil. I'm confused. Sorry I can't remember the name now. I read it earlier. Is A important for my condition. Should I take some CLO and some regular fish oil?

So - in light of all this info - can someone - mrsd help me out with this. I Also, because of the FM and RSD and Mer. Per. what would an appropriate dose of these EPA's be? The Blue Ice doesn't have that much in just one half teaspoon. I had previously been taking Icelandic at Icelandic.com and that had a lot more /EPA and less A.
Hope I am not confusing you. Just trying to do this correctly to try to get out of this chronic pain. I figured this is worth a try. The Dr. also said I should try to get my D level up to 80 and I would get some pain relief. He is big on D. Thanks, Sydney

mrsD 11-14-2006 10:39 AM

The A in cod liver oil

Is retinol, not betacarotene. Your doses are still not that high, unless you are planning on getting pregnant or are pregnant already.
Here is what Dr. Mercola has to say about it:
http://www.mercola.com/forms/carlsons.htm

Vit A retinol has been implicated in birth defects..so it is low or not present
in most prenatals.

Betacarotene is the type of A present in vegetables, and it has to be converted to real A in the body. If someone is hypothyroid, this often fails, and the skin
turns an orange color as the betacarotene builds up there. (this happened to me).

If you want to increase your fatty acids only--it is best to use fish BODY oils, in addition to the cod liver oil you are currently using. The fish oils I have been discussing are fish BODY oils, not CLO. As long as you are being supervised by a doctor, I would defer to him/her.

Extremely high Vit A intake has been linked to pseudotumor cerebri.. but that is very high doses, which you are not yet at.

The doses typically used to treat acne by dermatologists are in the 25,000 IU to 50,000 IU range. You are far below that.
Most prenatals today have had Vit A removed, or drastically lowered, and betacarotene substituted.

Sydney 11-14-2006 08:28 PM

Thanks Mrs D

Thanks for the clarfication of synthetic vs. natural Vit D. Looks like I am OK with the Cod Liver Oil. However, I think I will also get some regular fish oil. Unfortuantely, I also have high choleserol (388). triglycerides((207) and worst of all my CRP is 5.3. I am afraid to take the statins because of my FM condition. Don't want to risk additional muscle problems.
Due to numerous meds over the past 2 - 3 years and lack of activity I have gained about 70 pounds. It seems no matter what I eat I just gain the weight. It is very frustrating. I went from a petite size to a woman's. Not very good for my conditions or my body.
Thanks for all the links to various web sites. I wish I had your talent. You amaze me. I love research and am determined to find something to get rid of this pain and be able to walkk again. I just keep researching and trying.
Thanks
Sydney

mrsD 11-15-2006 06:12 PM

you are welcome, Sidney...

I think you have a typo in that last post... D instead of A?;)

mrsD 11-15-2006 06:13 PM

DHA and lower Alzheimer's risk:

Here is an article from PsychCentral:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2006/11...zheimers-risk/

Sydney 11-15-2006 09:58 PM

you are correct -mrsd

Sorry about the typo. I did mean to say Vit A - not Vit D. I am so involved with this Vit. D issue as well i just got confused in the post. You certainly pick up on everything Good Job! I appreciate your attention to detail and efficency as well as your knowledge base.
Thanks, Sydney

mrsD 11-28-2006 04:26 PM

jcc has found some nice nutrition papers...

I found this one linked to the others she just posted here on another thread:
Quote:

J Nutr Health Aging. 2004;8(3):163-74. Links
Roles of unsaturated fatty acids (especially omega-3 fatty acids) in the brain at various ages and during ageing.

* Bourre JM.

INSERM Research Director. Unit U26 Neuro-pharmaco-nutrition. Hopital Fernand Widal, 200 rue du Faubourg Saint Denis. 75745 Paris cedex 10. jean-marie.bourre@fwidal.inserm.fr

Among various organs, in the brain, the fatty acids most extensively studied are omega-3 fatty acids. Alpha-linolenic acid (18:3omega3) deficiency alters the structure and function of membranes and induces minor cerebral dysfunctions, as demonstrated in animal models and subsequently in human infants. Even though the brain is materially an organ like any other, that is to say elaborated from substances present in the diet (sometimes exclusively), for long it was not accepted that food can have an influence on brain structure, and thus on its function.

Lipids, and especially omega-3 fatty acids, provided the first coherent experimental demonstration of the effect of diet (nutrients) on the structure and function of the brain. In fact the brain, after adipose tissue, is the organ richest in lipids, whose only role is to participate in membrane structure. First it was shown that the differentiation and functioning of cultured brain cells requires not only alpha-linolenic acid (the major component of the omega-3, omega3 family), but also the very long omega-3 and omega-6 carbon chains (1). It was then demonstrated that alpha-linolenic acid deficiency alters the course of brain development, perturbs the composition and physicochemical properties of brain cell membranes, neurones, oligodendrocytes, and astrocytes (2).This leads to physicochemical modifications, induces biochemical and physiological perturbations, and results in neurosensory and behavioural upset (3).

Consequently, the nature of polyunsaturated fatty acids (in particular omega-3) present in formula milks for infants (premature and term) conditions the visual and cerebral abilities, including intellectual. Moreover, dietary omega-3 fatty acids are certainly involved in the prevention of some aspects of cardiovascular disease (including at the level of cerebral vascularization), and in some neuropsychiatric disorders, particularly depression, as well as in dementia, notably Alzheimer's disease. Recent results have shown that dietary alpha-linolenic acid deficiency induces more marked abnormalities in certain cerebral structures than in others, as the frontal cortex and pituitary gland are more severely affected. These selective lesions are accompanied by behavioural disorders more particularly affecting certain tests (habituation, adaptation to new situations). Biochemical and behavioural abnormalities are partially reversed by a dietary phospholipid supplement, especially omega-3-rich egg yolk extracts or pig brain. A dose-effect study showed that animal phospholipids are more effective than plant phospholipids to reverse the consequences of alpha-linolenic acid deficiency, partly because they provide very long preformed chains.

Alpha-linolenic acid deficiency decreases the perception of pleasure, by slightly altering the efficacy of sensory organs and by affecting certain cerebral structures. Age-related impairment of hearing, vision and smell is due to both decreased efficacy of the parts of the brain concerned and disorders of sensory receptors, particularly of the inner ear or retina. For example, a given level of perception of a sweet taste requires a larger quantity of sugar in subjects with alpha-linolenic acid deficiency. In view of occidental eating habits, as omega-6 fatty acid deficiency has never been observed, its impact on the brain has not been studied.

In contrast, omega-9 fatty acid deficiency, specifically oleic acid deficiency, induces a reduction of this fatty acid in many tissues, except the brain (but the sciatic nerve is affected). This fatty acid is therefore not synthesized in sufficient quantities, at least during pregnancy-lactation, implying a need for dietary intake. It must be remembered that organization of the neurons is almost complete several weeks before birth, and that these neurons remain for the subject's life time. Consequently, any disturbance of these neurons, an alteration of their connections, and impaired turnover of their constituents at any stage of life, will tend to accelerate ageing. The enzymatic activities of sytivities of synthesis of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids from linoleic and alpha-linolenic acids are very limited in the brain: this organ therefore depends on an exogenous supply. Consequently, fatty acids that are essential for the brain are arachidonic acid and cervonic acid, derived from the diet, unless they are synthesized by the liver from linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid. The age-related reduction of hepatic desaturase activities (which participate in the synthesis of long chains, together with elongases) can impair turnover of cerebral membranes. In many structures, especially in the frontal cortex, a reduction of cervonic and arachidonic acids is observed during ageing, predominantly associated with a reduction of phosphatidylethanolamines (mainly in the form of plasmalogens). Peroxisomal oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids decreases in the brain during ageing, participating in decreased turnover of membrane fatty acids, which are also less effectively protected against peroxidation by free radicals.

PMID: 15129302 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Related Links
ALA= alpha linolenic acid as found in flax oil, walnuts and canola oil.
Long chain fatty acids = DHA and EPA

from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=15129302

mrsD 11-28-2006 05:38 PM

Here is another...

from the same author. It discusses enriching foods/meat for better health.
Quote:

J Nutr Health Aging. 2005 Jul-Aug;9(4):232-42. Links
Where to find omega-3 fatty acids and how feeding animals with diet enriched in omega-3 fatty acids to increase nutritional value of derived products for human: what is actually useful ?

* Bourre JM.

Membre de l'Academie de Medecine, INSERM Neuro-pharmaco-nutrition, Hopital Fernand Widal, 200 rue du Faubourg Saint Denis, 75745 Paris cedex 10. jean-marie.bourre@fwidal.inserm.fr 43 40.

Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids have two major field of interest. The first lies in their quantitative abundance and their role in the development and maintenance of the brain. The second is their role in the prevention of different pathologies, mainly the cardiovascular diseases, and more lately some psychiatric disorders, from stress to depression and dementia. Thus, dietary omega-3 fatty acids are very important to ensure brain structure and function, more specifically during development and aging. However, concerning essential alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), most occidental diets contain about 50 % of the recommended dietary allowances.

The problem is to know which foods are naturally rich in this fatty acid, and to determine the true impact of the formulations (enriched in omega-3 fatty acids, either ALA or EPA and DHA) in chows used on farms and breeding centres on the nutritional value of the products (meat, butter, milk and dairy products, cheese, and eggs, etc), and thus their effect on the health of consumers, especially to ensure adequate quantities in the diet of the aging people. The consequences (qualitative and quantitative) of modifications in the composition of animal foods on the value of derived products consumed by humans are more marked when single-stomach animals are concerned than multi-stomach animals. Because, for example, hydrogenating intestinal bacteria of the latter group transform a large proportion of polyunsaturated fatty acids in their food into saturated fatty acids, among others, thus depriving them of any biological interest.

Under the best conditions, by feeding animals with extracts of linseed and rapeseed grains for example, the level of ALA acid is increased approximately two-fold in beef and six-fold in pork, ten-fold in chicken, and forty-fold in eggs. By feeding animals with fish extracts or algae (oils) the level of DHA is increased about 2-fold in beef, 7-fold in chicken, 6-fold in eggs, and 20-fold in fish (salmon). To obtain such results, it is sufficient to respect only the physiological needs of the animal, which was generally the case with traditional methods. It is important to stress the role of fish, whose nutritional value for humans in terms of lipids (determined by omega-3 fatty acid levels) can vary considerably according to the type of fats the animals have been fed. The aim of preventing some aspects of cardiovascular disease (and other pathologies) can be achieved, or on the contrary frustrated, depending on the nature of fatty acids present in fish flesh, the direct consequence of the nature of fats with which they have been fed. It is the same for eggs, "omega- 3 eggs" being in fact similar to natural eggs, were used in the formulation of certain formula milks for infants, whose composition was closest to that of breast milk. In fact, the additional cost on the price paid by the consumer is modest compared to the considerable gain in nutritional value in terms of omega-3 fatty acids content. Interestingly, in aged people, ALA recommendations in France are increased (0.8% daily energy intake in adult, 0.9 % in aged) and DHA is multiplied by 2 (0.05 % daily energy intake in adult, 0.1 % in aged; as well as in pregnant and lactating women).

PMID: 15980924 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=15980924

mrsD 12-05-2006 04:41 PM

NYC bans transfats...

Finally... a move in the right direction for all of us...
Quote:

NY bans most transfats from restaurants
Tue Dec 5, 2006 5:42 PM GMT160
Email This Article | Print This Article | RSS
[-] Text [+]

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City's board of health on Tuesday voted to phase out most artificial transfats from restaurants, forcing doughnut shops and fast-food stands to remove artery-clogging oils from their cooking.

The law will require McDonald's and other fast-food chains that have not already eliminated transfats to do so by July 2007. They will be given a six-month grace period before facing fines.

Makers of doughnuts and other baked goods will be given until July 2008 to phase out transfats.

"We know that transfats increase the chance of heart attack, stroke and death, and they don't have to be there," New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden told a news conference.

Transfats increase those health risks by increasing bad cholesterol and reducing good cholesterol.

Frieden said that New York City expects to withstand any lawsuits challenging the ban, and said the action was well within the jurisdiction of the board of health.

"People are no longer dying of typhoid fever. They are dying of heart disease," Frieden said.

In a separate vote, the board of health also ordered restaurants to standardise how they display the number of calories in dishes on their menus in an effort to combat obesity.

That law, to take effect July 1, applies to restaurants that already report the calorie counts and requires them to display the numbers on menus and menu boards. It is expected to affect about 10 percent of New York City restaurants, including many fast-food establishments.
from http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...orld-C3-More-8

This is important also for other neuro issues... but the media still targets cardiovascular ones. So we just ride that wave! ;)

mrsD 12-21-2006 10:49 PM

A new press release on children:

Here in USA there are two prenatals now for pregnant women
that have Omega-3 technology in them. It is really a very good idea
to take advantage of them. I have posted them earlier in this thread.

lookingup58 04-10-2007 11:36 PM

mrsd
Can I be getting to much flax oil? I take a capsul of 1000mg per day , grind 3 heaping tablespoons of flax seed for cereal each morning and on occasion eat Smart Balance Peanut butter?

Lookingup58

lookingup58 04-16-2007 11:38 PM

Flax

MRSD

Thanks for the info and reading material source on flax. It is very complete detail. It will give me the info I was looking for to undersatand the correct amounts of flax.

Thanks for having the forum. It is very good and helpful.

:)

mrsD 05-02-2007 05:36 PM

new information for new Moms and Omega-3s....

DocJohn just posted this in the Health News forum... It is very interesting:

http://www.emaxhealth.com/25/11654.html

This is the full article and quite technical. But very interesting none the less.

http://www.internationalbreastfeedin.../content/2/1/6

mrsD 07-06-2007 07:16 AM

I am bumping this up with a new discovery:

At the doctor's office yesterday I found an article about trans fat intake,
and infertility.

Here is an article.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16695792/
I will quote it all, since links often die:
Quote:

Eating trans fats may increase infertility risk
Hydrogenated oils hinder cell receptor tied to fertility, study finds

NEW YORK - Women who want to get pregnant may want to stay away from fast food french fries not just to avoid putting on some extra pounds, a new study shows.

The more trans fats a woman eats, the more likely she is to be infertile, Dr. Jorge E. Chavarro of the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston and colleagues found.

Trans fats are found in fried foods, packaged snacks, commercial baked goods and other sources, and are known to increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes. "Even for somebody who's not trying to get pregnant, it is a very good idea to stay away from them," Chavarro told Reuters Health.

Trans fats can interfere with the activity of a cell receptor involved in inflammation, glucose metabolism and insulin sensitivity, Chavarro and his team note in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Drugs that activate the receptor have been shown to improve fertility in women with a condition known as polycystic ovary syndrome.

To investigate how trans fat consumption might affect fertility, the researchers analyzed data from 18,555 healthy women participating in the Nurses' Health Study. All were married and trying to get pregnant between 1991 and 1999.

For every 2 percent increase in the amount of calories a woman got from trans fats instead of carbohydrates, the researchers found, her risk of infertility increased by 73 percent. The risk rose by 79 percent for every 2 percent of energy in trans fats if they replaced omega-6 polyunsaturated fats. And for every 2 percent of calories derived from trans fats instead of monounsaturated fats, the risk of infertility more than doubled.

For a woman eating 1,800 calories a day, 2 percent of energy intake in trans fats equals 4 grams, Chavarro noted. "It's not very hard to get 4 grams of trans fatty acids every day," he said. "It's really a small amount of trans fatty acids that we observe having a significant effect on infertility."

The Food and Drug Administration now requires manufacturers to state on their label if a food contains a half gram of trans fat per serving or more, Chavarro noted, but foods with less than a half gram are allowed to claim that they have zero grams of trans fat. To cut trans fats out of the diet completely, he added, people should avoid all foods that list hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils in their ingredients.
I have seen studies on PubMed and trans fat consumption having negative effects on the developing fetus. So this new data is not surprising either.
Now that trans fats are being advertised people are getting the message.
It is really imperative to get them out of your diet.

mrsD 10-07-2007 11:21 AM

a new warning on a new fat:

I went to a medical seminar on Friday, and some new data was brought up
on the new substitute fats that some food manufacturers are using instead of transfats.

These newer fats are called interesterfied fats, and are now in cookies,cakes, donuts, some peanut butters.

Here is an article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0116131545.htm

These fats were shown in humans to raise blood sugar by 20%.

So read labels carefully. Also the recommended adult amount of transfat now is 2 grams a day. Labels that say Zero Transfats can do that if the transfat content of the product is below .5gm /serving. They are allowed to round down.

So if labels say partially hydrogenated oils are in the product, and the label itself says 0 transfats, you may be getting some. This is esp important for kids, who are smaller and who will be affected more by the transfat.

another link:
http://www.stop-trans-fat.com/interesterified-fat.html

mrsD 10-21-2007 12:40 PM

new food source for Omega-3-- yogurt

Just found this in my grocery store:

http://www.bluebunny.com/ProductDeta...&productId=625

Gluten free, has 4 probiotic organisms in it, and 300mg of alpha linolenic acid from flax oil!

A neat way to get EFAs into kids too!

Tessa 11-12-2007 10:00 AM

Study: Fish Oil and Diabetes prevention in Children

I came across a brief description of this article and searched down the abstract (below). I thought it was fascinating and maybe some are interested.

Vol. 298 No. 12, September 26, 2007 JAMA

Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Intake and Islet Autoimmunity in Children at Increased Risk for Type 1 Diabetes
Jill M. Norris, MPH, PhD; Xiang Yin, MD, MS; Molly M. Lamb, BA; Katherine Barriga, MSPH; Jennifer Seifert, BS; Michelle Hoffman, RN; Heather D. Orton, MS; Anna E. Barón, PhD; Michael Clare-Salzler, MD; H. Peter Chase, MD; Nancy J. Szabo, PhD; Henry Erlich, MD, PhD; George S. Eisenbarth, MD, PhD; Marian Rewers, MD, PhD

JAMA. 2007;298:1420-1428.

Context Cod liver oil supplements in infancy have been associated with a decreased risk of type 1 diabetes mellitus in a retrospective study.

Objective To examine whether intakes of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are associated with the development of islet autoimmunity (IA) in children.

Design, Setting, and Participants A longitudinal, observational study, the Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young (DAISY), conducted in Denver, Colorado, between January 1994 and November 2006, of 1770 children at increased risk for type 1 diabetes, defined as either possession of a high diabetes risk HLA genotype or having a sibling or parent with type 1 diabetes. The mean age at follow-up was 6.2 years. Islet autoimmunity was assessed in association with reported dietary intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids starting at age 1 year. A case-cohort study (N = 244) was also conducted in which risk of IA by polyunsaturated fatty acid content of erythrocyte membranes (as a percentage of total lipids) was examined.

Main Outcome Measure Risk of IA, defined as being positive for insulin, glutamic acid decarboxylase, or insulinoma-associated antigen-2 autoantibodies on 2 consecutive visits and still autoantibody positive or having diabetes at last follow-up visit.

Results Fifty-eight children developed IA. Adjusting for HLA genotype, family history of type 1 diabetes, caloric intake, and omega-6 fatty acid intake, omega-3 fatty acid intake was inversely associated with risk of IA (hazard ratio [HR], 0.45; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.21-0.96; P = .04). The association was strengthened when the definition of the outcome was limited to those positive for 2 or more autoantibodies (HR, 0.23; 95% CI, 0.09-0.58; P = .002). In the case-cohort study, omega-3 fatty acid content of erythrocyte membranes was also inversely associated with IA risk (HR, 0.63; 95% CI, 0.41-0.96; P = .03).

Conclusion Dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids is associated with reduced risk of IA in children at increased genetic risk for type 1 diabetes.

Author Affiliations: Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver (Drs Norris, Yin, and Barón, and Mss Lamb, Seifert, and Orton); The Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Aurora (Drs Chase, Eisenbarth, and Rewers, and Mss Barriga and Hoffman); Department of Pathology, Immunology, and Laboratory Medicine (Dr Clare-Salzler) and Analytical Toxicology Core Laboratory (Dr Szabo), University of Florida, Gainesville; and Department of Human Genetics, Roche Molecular Systems, Alameda, California (Dr Erlich).

rose 11-13-2007 02:13 PM

Type 1 diabetes

My apologies if this has already been posted here. Just received this in a newsletter from NOW:

Quote:

Intake of Omega-3 Fatty Acids May Delay Onset of Type I Diabetes

Abstracted by Susan Sweeny Johnson, PhD, Biochem, October 11, 2007, from Jill M. Norris, MPH, PhD; Xiang Yin, MD, MS; Molly M. Lamb, BA; Katherine Barriga, MSPH; Jennifer Seifert, BS; Michelle Hoffman, RN; Heather D. Orton, MS; Anna E. Barón, PhD; Michael Clare-Salzler, MD; H. Peter Chase, MD; Nancy J. Szabo, PhD; Henry Erlich, MD, PhD; George S. Eisenbarth, MD, PhD; Marian Rewers, MD, PhD , “Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Intake and Islet Autoimmunity in Children at Increased Risk for Type 1 Diabetes”, JAMA. 2007;298:1420-1428.

Type I diabetes mellitus (also know as juvenile diabetes) is an autoimmune disease in which the body’s immune system attacks and destroys islet cells in the pancreas which produce insulin. Although there is a genetic predisposition for the disease, environmental factors also appear to play a role in determining how early in life the autoimmune process begins and how much time passes between the onset of the first autoimmune response and the diagnosis of Type I diabetes when the islet cells are no longer producing insulin.

Studies suggest that early in the progress of the disease, inflammation and the activation of scavenger cells called macrophages by compounds that also induce inflammation may be important1. Since omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to have an anti-inflammatory effect(2, 3, 4, 5) while omega-6 fatty acids have a pro-inflammatory effect5, this study looked at the intake of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in children one to six years old who were genetically at risk for diabetes type I.

In this study, 1770 children were assessed using a food questionnaire given to their parents to determine their average intake of different fatty acids and vitamin D. In addition, the fatty acid composition of their red blood cell membranes was assessed which reflects the actual intake of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. In order to determine onset of the autoimmune component of diabetes type I, blood samples were taken initially and then yearly to detect the presence any of three types of autoantibodies typically present in pre-diabetes type I. If any of the antibodies were detected, the patient’s blood was tested every 3 to 6 months after that. Patients were considered positive for islet autoimmunity (IA), pre-diabetes type I, if the presence of autoantibodies occurred for two tests in a row or if the patient was diagnosed with diabetes type I.

Out of the 1770 patients, 58 developed IA. Statistical analysis showed that the risk of IA was significantly lower in children with higher intakes of omega-3 fatty acids (hazard ratio = 0.45, p=0.04). Also, in support of this result, higher omega-3 fatty acid content of patient red blood cell membranes correlated with lower risk of IA (hazard ratio = 0.63, p=0.03). Neither total omega-6 fatty acid intake nor vitamin D lntake correlated significantly with IA risk.

The average daily intake of omega-3’s during this study was 1.2 g per day, omega-6 was 10.8 g per day, and vitamin D was 400 IU per day. No numbers were given for the highest intake of omega-3.

About 7% of the US population has some form of diabetes. Type I comprises 5-10% of all diagnosed cases(6, 7). Direct medical costs from all types total $92 billion annually8. Using natural products to delay onset of Type I diabetes would save significant governmental and private dollars.

REFERENCES:

1 Chase HP, Cooper S, Osberg I, et al. Elevated C-reactive protein levels in the development of type 1 diabetes. Diabetes. 2004;53(10):2569-2573.

2 Calder PC. Polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation, and immunity. Lipids. 2001;36(9):1007-1024.

3 De Caterina R, Madonna R, Massaro M. Effects of omega-3 fatty acids on cytokines and adhesion molecules. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2004;6(6):485-491.

4 Serhan CN. Resolution phase of inflammation: novel endogenous anti-inflammatory and proresolving lipid mediators and pathways. Annu Rev Immunol. 2007;25:101-137.

5 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...t=AbstractPlus

6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus

7 http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pub...cs/index.htm#7

8 http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pub...s/index.htm#14

Paul Golding 11-14-2007 05:02 AM

Severe DHA Deficiency, and Vegan DHA/EPA Capsules vs Mercury-flavoured Oily Fish

Hello mrsd,

Thank you for starting this thread.

I decided to respond here to your comment about EFA in the other thread, Errors in Pathology..., to keep it all together.

Quote:

Now to move on the your EFA deficiency. I think you should be doing something aggressively to raise your Omega-3 status ASAP. Low EFA status causes heart beat irregularites too. Males are not efficient in converting alpha linolenic acid in food, to the long chain EFAs EPA and DHA. Females who are intended to reproduce and pass these EFAs to the fetus convert much higher.
I saw a ratio once. Males convert about 4%, and females about 20%.
So after you were born, you have to rely more on your DHA that you received from you mother, than females do.
Basically if you are so low in these, you are lucky to be alive now. You just have to have them. Either from eating salmon or taking fish oil. So I hope you are doing that right now.
As I mentioned on the other thread, in May this year I finally found a doctor who has an interest in nutritional medicine; he takes a holistic approach. He was the first to accept that my vitamin B12 deficiency was not "all in the mind". The first test that my new doctor ordered for me was Essential Fatty Acids.

The results, from ARL Pathology in Melbourne, are presented as % of total and ratios, rather than absolute quantities. Here is a link for an example of their reports: http://www.arlaus.com.au/Sample/EFA%20Plasma.pdf

Unfortunately, ARL has the usual policy of refusing to communicate with patients, so I have not been able to discuss my report with them; they ignored my Email request for some technical information. They do have useful general information on their web site. This is a link to their article on EFA: http://www.arlaus.com.au/clinical_gu...FA%20Guide.pdf

Some of my EFA levels were so abnormal that we repeated the test on new samples a few weeks later. The results were almost identical, giving me more confidence that ARL could at least repeat their tests.

The Summary showed that:
  • Total Saturated % was high
  • Total Monounsaturated was normal
  • Total n3 was very low
  • Total n6 was low
  • Ratio n3/n6 was low
This does not necessarily mean that I have too much saturated fat; these are ratios. For me it far more likely to mean that the "good" n6 and n3 fats are too low. I am unlikely to eat too much saturated fat, because I am a vegetarian, with a revulsion for animal fat; even the milk for my breakfast cereal is low fat. I am very slim, weighing 64 kg, with a BMI of 22. I have no evidence of CAD (angiogram), have low cholesterol and triglycerides and low BP for a 54 year old male (120/70).

Perhaps this might explain my revulsion for fatty food:

Quote:

Today, 14 November 2007, has special significance for me.

In 1975, my father died of a heart attack 39 days short of his 55th birthday. For two decades he knew about his problem and was warned to cut his food intake. He was obese, ate large amounts of fatty foods and did not get much exercise. He had high cholesterol, high blood pressure and blocked arteries. Not only did he ignore warnings from his doctors, he also taunted me for being too skinny. Despite his death more than 32 years ago, the argument was not settled .....until today.

Today, I am now 39 days short of my 55th birthday. So far, so good; well, at least there is still a pulse!
I will only include actual % here where it is significant.

The detailed section of the report for the n6 acids shows:
  • LA, the shortest n6 acid, borderline low
  • The four longer n6 acids normal or borderline low
This is unusual because most people, especially vegetarians, are reported to consume too much n6 fats. I am apparently not eating quite enough LA, although what I do consume is being converted to the longer chain n6 acids. I just need to eat more LA; simple.

The detailed section of the report for the n3 acids shows:
  • ALA, the shortest n3 acid, at 0.6% was borderline high (Reference Range 0.3 - 0.6%)
  • EPA at 0.3% was borderline low (Reference Range 0.3 - 0.9%)
  • DPA at 0.3% was borderline low (Reference Range 0.4 - 0.7%)
  • DHA at 0.3% was very significantly low (Reference Range 1.5 to 3.2%)
Now, this is a really interesting, and worrying, result. I am apparently consuming enough ALA but it is not being converted to the longer chain n3 acids. The worst case is DHA, where I am way below the reference range. Assuming a normal frequency distribution for DHA, I fit in the bottom one in 100,000 of the population.

As you said, males only covert a few % of ALA to DHA. The most likely explanation for my DHA deficiency is conversion fault, rather than inadequate ALA intake.

Rather than immediately commence EPA and DHA supplements, I have decided to see if it really is a conversion problem. Here is my three-step plan:

1. Walnut Therapy

For the past four weeks I have been adding six walnuts (12 halves) per day to my food intake. This is the amount recommended by experts to increase ALA to normal levels. I will have my EFA checked again in another two weeks.

I expect to see an increase in both LA and ALA. In fact, my LA should come up to normal because walnuts contain large amounts of LA as well as ALA. I also expect to see ALA increase above the normal range. Whether or not there is sufficient conversion to push EPA and DHA up into the normal range is unknown. I also expect to see my LDL to decrease and HDL to increase, further reducing cardiac risk.

2. Linseed Therapy (you might call it Flaxseed)

If walnut therapy fails to improve DHA, then I will add a tablespoon of ground linseeds (flaxseeds) to my breakfast cereal each day. That should definitely push my ALA way above normal, although my body will presumably be able to regulate it to some extent. Once again, there is no certainty that it will be converted to DHA.

3. DHA Supplements

If walnut and linseed therapy fails to increase DHA and EPA to acceptable levels, I have no option but to take supplements.

This is not so easy for vegetarians or vegans because most of the available supplements are derived from oily fish (yuk!).

Another problem with most supplements, affecting carnivores as well, is the risk of heavy-metal poisoning. So, I will leave it to others to eat their mercury flavoured juice squeezed from bodies of oily fish!

Fortunately, there are now non-animal DHA/EPA supplements commercially available. I imported a three-month supply of "V-Pure" DHA/EPA vegan capsules from Switzerland; they arrived very promptly. These contain oil from farmed algae, and are claimed to be free of heavy metals. You can find the suppler at this link: http://www.water4.net/index.htm

I cannot comment on the effectiveness of the V-Pure product because I am still in the "Walnut Therapy" stage of investigation. I expect the capsules to push my DHA and EPA levels well into the normal range. I will let you know the results.

Paul

mrsD 11-14-2007 07:32 AM

some suggestions...

Since you are eating some ALA... and LA but are not converting you have some options.

1) start using a source of GLA (this is an intermediate step in conversion).
This is a vegetarian product, either evening primrose or borage oil.

2) You can buy vegetarian DHA... it is common in the states. I don't know what it is called in Britain. Ours is made by the Martek company predominately, but there are others. It is extracted from algae grown in tanks.
One brand is Neuromins, another targeting women is Expecta.
However if you choose this you won't be getting EPA from that source.
EPA is important and acts as a brake to AA synthesis. Excess AA can cause heart attacks/stroke. I don't know of a vegan source for EPA in USA...I think it has to come from fish or you. It is possible you may convert ALA better if you take a GLA supplement like I mentioned above. Your link to the new supplement is interesting, but rather low in EPA. It is the first EPA I have seen, grown from algae. We do not have it here in USA yet. Our algae products only have DHA in them so far.

And just so you know, the processing of fish into fish oil, removes heavy metals. So you are not likely to find mercury in fish oil capsules.
There is a laboratory that tests... www.consumerlab.com
for the fish oil:
http://www.consumerlab.com/results/omega3.asp
The process of distillation removes heavy metals. Fish body oils are much safer to use than cod liver oils in general. Liver derived oils have other problems associated with them.

(as an aside--- there is a movement in the anthropology field, that suggests that humans evolved along coastlines where
there was an abundance of fish. Humans have a huge need for DHA in the brain, we have the highest ratio of any land mammal,
and so fish provided that and enabled brain evolution).

mrsD 11-14-2007 07:45 AM

Thanks to Tessa and rose

for the very interesting and useful article on EFAs/diabetes!

daniella 11-15-2007 01:34 PM

I know I keep asking this but when I read about fish oil pill supplements it said it can contribute to bleading. Is it still safe and good to take 1200mg a day?Its one pill. Or is it safer the ground flax seed?Linseeds are a type of flaxseed or just another name? Please let us know the results and also any changes you feel in your body. Thank you.

mrsD 11-15-2007 02:22 PM

fish oil and Vit E also have a potential

for increasing bleeding.

This is a very small effect, but may combine in people who are
1) low in platelets (a genetic problem)
2) take warfarin (Coumadin) for medical reasons
3) are given Heparin in the hospital
4) take high dose aspirin

Fish oil has EPA in it, which is an anti-inflammatory and suppresses Cox-2
cytokines. The Cox-2 include thromoxane which is a clotting stimulant.

Because this is all dietary the effects are mild, and only a concern when people are doing strong drugs that artificially affect bleeding as well. By itself, fish oil is homeostatic, meaning prevents blood clots. (which is a good thing).

Massive dosing...like 13-20 grams a day should be monitored by a doctor. Some severe autoimmune disease is treated with
massive amounts of fish oil...but not commonly.

daniella 11-15-2007 03:26 PM

Thanks Mrs.D but I'm slow. So is 1200mg ok for me and I should not have problems only benefit? Is the flaxseed also as good of an alternative?

mrsD 11-15-2007 05:17 PM

flax is always good...

Always! The fish oil is less than you would get if you ate a serving of salmon.

We should ALL increase our intake of Flax (ALA ) Omega-3 and the long chain
EPA and DHA from fish.

daniella 11-15-2007 06:15 PM

So the 1200mg fish oil pill I'm taking is good and will not harm?

Paul Golding 11-15-2007 11:58 PM

Severe DHA Deficiency, and Vegan DHA/EPA Capsules vs Mercury-flavoured Oily Fish

Hello daniella,

I am a vegetarian with a strange sense of humour, and multiple nutritional disorders and other problems (see my thread on Errors in Pathology). You need to take my comment about mercury-flavoured oily fish in that context. There are, however, real concerns about contamination of fish, not so much the oil, and a worldwide shortage of fish.

I intend to post a list of links to references, on this thread soon. These might help you.

In answer to your questions:

1. According to my understanding of the most recent post by mrsd, the quantity of 1200mg a day of fish oil is safe. I have not done my own research on this because I prefer my fish to be swimming in the sea.

2. There are conflicting claims about the risk of heavy-metal contamination of fish oil. As mrsd has correctly pointed out, the processing should remove any mercury. I suggest that you look up your brand on the Internet; the supplier is likely to say so if it has been tested. Here are links to reports on this subject (they found no contamination in any brand tested):

http://www.spectroscopymag.com/spect...01/article.pdf

http://arpa.allenpress.com/arpaonlin...C%3E2.0.CO%3B2

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/408125_print

Note the caution in the conclusion of the second report:

Quote:

Finally, it should be cautioned that we tested only 5 preparations of fish oil for mercury content. It is possible that other brands may have more mercury, depending on the source of fish. To circumvent this possibility and to eliminate any risk of mercury toxicity, we recommend that routine labeling of fish oil preparations should include mercury analysis to ensure safety and efficacy.
And in the third report:

Quote:

While this is positive health news, it cannot be assumed that every brand is free of mercury.
3. What is called flaxseed in North America is the same as what we call linseed in Australia.

4. Linseeds are an excellent source of ALA but, unlike fish oils, do not contain EPA or DHA. As previously mentioned by mrsd, females can convert much more ALA to EPA and DHA than males. It is possible to take ground linseeds instead of fish oil if you are able to convert them. I am initially using walnuts because they are an excellent source of both LA and ALA, although not as much ALA as the linseeds.

5. Before commencing any EFA supplements, I suggest that you have your EFAs measured. You need to consider my advice on this in the context of my strong belief in "evidence based medicine", probably the result of my background in applied science and engineering. By this I mean that I ask for scientific evidence of existence of disease or deficiency, and scientific evidence of effectivenesss and safety of any treatment. Others might advise you differently; you need to make your own decision. Here is a quote that I agree with (source: http://www.explorepub.com/articles/nutrition2.html):

Quote:

It is prudent to define the exact aberrations in individual patients through laboratory data rather than administer medication or a handful of "just try this". The exploration of the characteristic features of aberrant fatty acid metabolism and alteration of the blood chemistries of adults and children with neuropsychological disorders is a bold frontier that is merging traditional science with biological medicine -- Brave New Medicine.
If you are in North America, these labs can do the tests (there are probably others that I have not found yet):

Genova Diagnostics

Metametrix

6. I will post the results of my "walnut therapy" after I receive them, in about three weeks.

Paul

sharky 11-16-2007 02:14 AM

I am using Nordic naturals ... the naturpath carried the "pharmacutical " only pro ser5ies which I found had the same amounts of omega 3, 6 and 9 as the non pro ones... it has borage oil in place of flax , and fish oil... Flax oil can be hard to convert to what we need in some ....

I learned of this brand which does extensive tests to ensure the purest product from my vet and the animal accupucturist ... Yes the dogs and cats need Omega fattys too

www.nordicnaturals.com

mrsD 11-16-2007 07:29 AM

Hi sharky....

We give our cats Eukanuba by Iams ..they put omega-3s in the food.
They have done wonderfully since I started that almost 10 yrs ago.
Our oldest cat is very allergic to corn, and Eukanuba fixed her skin sores very
nicely.

Because there are concerns that fish are being over harvested now to provide fish oil, scientists have been working to create a transgenic species of plant to provide this nutrient for us.

Here is a new article on the progress of that experiement:
Quote:

Last Updated: Friday, 16 November 2007, 10:30 GMT
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Scientists harvest fish oil crop
By Helen Briggs
Science reporter, BBC News

Oilseed rape (Rothamsted Research)
Crops such as oilseed rape have been engineered to produce fish oil
Plants genetically engineered to make fish oils offer a new approach to improving diet, say UK scientists.

Experiments have proved that crops containing genes from marine organisms are able to produce omega 3 fatty acids normally found in oily fish.

Adding the oil to animal feed would create omega 3-rich meat, milk and eggs.

Researchers from the EU-wide Lipgene project say such food would help tackle public health issues like obesity.

'Good' fats

Concerns over dwindling fish stocks and marine pollution has led researchers to seek an alternative source of long chain omega 3 fatty acids; fats that have important health benefits, especially for the heart. The best source is oily fish, such as salmon, mackerel and herring, but most people do not get enough in their diet.

Salmon (VT freeze frame)
Most people don't eat enough oily fish

Omega 3 fatty acids are made not by the fish themselves but by the marine microbes they consume.

Scientists at Rothamsted Research in Harpenden, Herts, isolated key genes from a species of microscopic single-celled marine algae known as Thalassiosira pseudonana.

They inserted the genes into crops such as linseed and oil seed rape and found that the plants were able to synthesise omega 3 fatty acids in their seed oils.

"We know that this works, we've done proof of concept studies in model plants and also in crop plants and we can see the accumulation of some of the fish oils we're interested in," said research group leader Professor Johnathan Napier.

"We're still at the stage where we'd want to optimise and improve the levels that we see so I think we're probably three or four years away from the point where we have something ready for regulatory approval for some sort of limited field release," he added.

The eventual aim is to feed GM-enhanced oils to animals such as chickens and cattle, to produce omega 3 enriched meat, milk and eggs.

This would provide a sustainable source of fish oil amid concern over dwindling fish stocks.

"The big problem is that fish (and fish oils) is a very seriously diminishing natural resource," said Professor Napier.

"There are big problems with the sustainability of natural fish stocks and there are also concerns about pollution of the marine environment so we're interested in trying to produce a sustainable alternative source with these fish oils."

Consumer issues

Professor Ian Givens from the Nutritional Sciences Research Unit at the University of Reading said he believed that consumers would see the benefit of such foods, despite the fact they come from transgenic crops.

Salmon (VT freeze frame)
There is concern over dwindling fish stocks

"There has been a lot of concern and resistance about the whole GM technology in the food chain," he said.

"Things move on. When people are able to see more clearly what the benefits to them are from these sorts of approaches, rather than the benefits to others, I suspect that mindsets will change but it will take time."

New figures released by Lipgene show that only 30% of the UK population is consuming the recommended 450mg/day intake of omega-3 fatty acids.

Teenagers, especially males, and low income groups eat the least of all, said Professor Givens.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) recommends that everyone should eat two portions of fish a week, including one portion of oily fish.

But because fish can contain pollutants such as dioxins and PCBs, there are limits to the amount that should be consumed, particularly for women who are pregnant and breast feeding.

An FSA spokesperson said an expert committee reviewed the evidence on the relationship between long chain omega 3 fatty acids and cardiovascular disease in 2004.

"Two portions of fish per week, one white and one oily, provides the amount of long chain omega 3 fatty acids that can help prevent heart disease," said the spokesperson.

"The Agency recommends that it is better to eat fish, especially oily fish, rather than fish oil supplements or fish oil fortified foods because as well as being rich in long chain omega 3 fatty acids, fish also contains essential vitamins and minerals and is a good source of protein."
from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7097094.stm

I don't know how this will be received by the American public, who have in the past fought aggressively against transgenic species.

sharky 11-16-2007 01:23 PM

I dont do any engineered food stuffs... but that is me I think it may be a great idea for those who dont have issues with it ...

in dog s and cats the omega 3 should be found with far more omega 6 ///

ratio s typically found to be good
10 to 1 down to 5 to 1 .... omega 6 to omega 3...

daniella 11-16-2007 02:00 PM

Thanks. I know there is an issue with mercury in some fish. I used to eat too much tuna so I lowered the amount. I heard its not a concern though in the pills. I was more concerned with any other issues it could cause. Mrs. D do you take these? So would you say my 1200mg fish oil is good?
Paul I like your opening about you. That was cute. Please let us know about the therapy?Do you feel any difference though in your body in the sense of pain/fatigue?

mrsD 11-16-2007 03:14 PM

we've used

EFAs for over 10 yrs. The kind I have now are double strength, enteric coated.

I started my son on them, long ago, and they fixed his acne and ADHD, so he
could stop Ritalin. Did you not read the beginning of this thread?

If you have qualms, then certainly don't use them. I don't understand your
reasoning however. The body cannot live you know without them. They are called essential for that reason.

I suggest you read the book:

The Omega Diet: The Lifesaving Nutritional Program Based on the Diet of the Island of Crete by Artemis P. Simopoulos and Jo Robinson
Check it out at Amazon.com
Dr. Simopoulos MD has specialized in this subject for over 25 yrs. She is an expert.

anasazi23 11-16-2007 03:44 PM

I use nordic naturals as well, and recommend them to patients all the time.

daniella 11-17-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsd (Post 168311)
EFAs for over 10 yrs. The kind I have now are double strength, enteric coated.

I started my son on them, long ago, and they fixed his acne and ADHD, so he
could stop Ritalin. Did you not read the beginning of this thread?

If you have qualms, then certainly don't use them. I don't understand your
reasoning however. The body cannot live you know without them. They are called essential for that reason.

I suggest you read the book:

The Omega Diet: The Lifesaving Nutritional Program Based on the Diet of the Island of Crete by Artemis P. Simopoulos and Jo Robinson
Check it out at Amazon.com
Dr. Simopoulos MD has specialized in this subject for over 25 yrs. She is an expert.

Thanks. I just have become so nervous about everything and fear it may cause a problem even if its one in a million.I'm trying to work on that. I know its a supplement and people take them all the time. I will look through those. I'm sure after all the years of abuse to my body I'm lacking this omega. My old psych encouraged them for the mental issues I was going through. He was a great psych cause he encourage a combination of things not just anti depressents.