NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Back to work (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/61066-back-to-work.html)

dmplaura 11-27-2008 03:28 AM

Back to work

Not only did my employer put me on ease back, accommodate my request to work the same hours as my colleague that lives below me (so we can travel together and save on costs), but also ... get this ... sat me beside my friend at work who is the girl I knew with Multiple Sclerosis before I went on leave. :eek:

I thought it was a coincidence, but they actually came to her and said, "We're sitting you with a girl who was diagnosed with MS, so hopefully you 2 can be supportive to one another". She was sure shocked when she saw my face walk up to her desk! She has known me a very long time.

We're now making jokes about how our pod is the most expensive pod in the entire building lol. But I'm SO thrilled to have her there. She's been diagnosed for several years, been on Betaseron for 5+, just had a child (an accident, but a good accident!) and she's a bit younger than I am.... so we connect and always have very well.

So I had a blast Wednesday at work catching up with her. Even our manager didn't mind that we spent basically 4 hours talking about our MS experiences with one another.

I really do feel like I'm truly blessed to be working in such an environment.

Kitty 11-27-2008 06:14 AM

That's great......yes, employers can make or break the environment we have to basically spend the majority of our lives in. It's nice when they realize how important it is for it to be a positive experience. Sounds like you work for a wonderful company.

I miss the social interaction of working. The only thing I don't miss are the "drama queens" in my department.....:rolleyes:!! A hangnail was reason for a sick day!!

weegot5kiz 11-27-2008 07:18 AM

you have a nice employer Laura, glad its working out for you, miss gabbin with ya, still dont over do it:hug:

MSCherokee 11-27-2008 07:52 AM

Laura,

I'm so glad you're back to work and have such an absolutely wonderful employer! Are they hiring in Ohio? ;)

Take care of yourself and don't overdo it! :hug:

tkrik 11-27-2008 10:09 AM

Laura - That is great! What a wonderful boss you have to do that for you.

lady_express_44 11-27-2008 11:27 AM

I had basically the same experience going back to work, Laura, and it sure makes ALL the difference when you get that kind of support. My boss still had his "Type A" personality ;), but the company was fantastic, and he tried really hard too!

My employers "humored" me too, by letting me live in denial about the longer-term probabilities with this disease. Occasionally (every 6 months or so) they'd make little "suggestions" about how I would actually be better off financially and healthwise to medically retire (which was quite true), but they let me come to that conclusion on my own terms, in due time.

I was blessed and it sounds like you are too. :)

Good luck with the transition.

Cherie

dmplaura 11-27-2008 06:23 PM

Sorry not hiring in Ohio, it's a major Canadian bank :p

You'd have to come north haha! :)

ewizabeth 11-27-2008 07:52 PM

It sounds like a great job Laura, I'm happy for you to be working there! :)

SallyC 11-27-2008 08:46 PM

That is just super, Laura..:hug:

Desinie 11-28-2008 01:13 AM

Wow, that sounds great,Laura. I know you know you're lucky. :hug: Glad your first day back was such a good experience.