NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   C5-6 fusion (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/62688-c5-6-fusion.html)

clintster 12-03-2008 09:56 PM

C5-6 fusion

I had the surgery 4 weeks ago today. The lump was bad at first but semed to go away 2 weeks later. Now i just have this burning pain in my shoulders, Is this normal will it go away over time? What started all this was a pain in my left shoulder and it would shoot pain down my left arm into my hand. I havent felt that anymore since the surgery, just that darn burning in my shoulders. Pain pills help but will i half to take them for the rest of my life? clintster

CZZ74 12-06-2008 07:37 AM

Hi just wanted to say hello

[QUOTE=clintster;419139]I had the surgery 4 weeks ago today. The lump was bad at first but semed to go away 2 weeks later. Now i just have this burning pain in my shoulders, Is this normal will it go away over time? What started all this was a pain in my left shoulder and it would shoot pain down my left arm into my hand. I havent felt that anymore since the surgery, just that darn burning in my shoulders. Pain pills help but will i half to take them for the rest of my life?
sorry I dont know the answer to your qwuestion but saw no oone had answered you yet. I am so sorry for your continued pain. I hope somehone here will help you soon. take care. cz

stiffnecked 12-09-2008 05:45 PM

The burning is normal. It's caused by increased nerve activity. The doctor gave me a low dose of neurotin to help with it. It worked.

futurexboy 12-14-2008 10:48 PM

Neurotin?

Hi, what is neurotin? About your surgery, it seems like everyone is different, a great majority of people still have pain long after their surgery, I do and I had the surgery in 1990, so don't expect the best, but don't hope for the worst. My bone came from a bone bank, some have it taken from their hip which usually works better, a little late for me to find this out but from everything I have ever read, people that use their hip bone have a better outcome, much better. I've never been happy with my surgery, it kept me from being paralayazed, but its hurt ever since, and today its kicked back in with new and worst pain even taking pain pills don't work so good...hey good luck and keep a postive outlook on things, and hope they used your hip bone for the replacement bone...and your walking and using your hands, that's good too.

treeves 12-15-2008 06:31 AM

I have pain between my shoulders and I'm 8 weeks out. Mine are actually muscle spams and were to be expected. I have to take valium to get them to relax. Like you I hope not to have to take it or any pain medicine for the rest of my life but for now I'm glad I have them.

JBirds 12-20-2008 06:51 PM

I had c5 c6 fusion on November 1, 2008 and now have more of a burning sensation in shoulders with almost total numbness of both arms and hands. Including almost total loss of fine motor skills of left hand. Had surgery due to numbness of left side and MRI found that the c5 and c6 had totally "flattened" out putting pressure on spinal cord. Now the problems are worse than prior to surgery. Also have been dealing with numbness in both feet for almost 3 years. Still taking Neurontin (1800 mg day), along with Vicodin and Fetynal patch for pain and Relafen for arthritis issues. NS says that spinal issues caused by arthritis

Anthonymharden 08-26-2009 12:17 AM

I had the surgery 4 weeks ago today. The lump was bad at first but semed to go away 2 weeks later. Now i just have this burning pain in my shoulders, Is this normal will it go away over time? What started all this was a pain in my left shoulder and it would shoot pain down my left arm into my hand. I havent felt that anymore since the surgery, just that darn burning in my shoulders. Pain pills help but will i half to take them for the rest of my life?
I had the same surgery 3 weeks ago today. My shoulder pain has gone away as of a few days ago. I only have tightness in my shoulderblades up to neck which gives me headaches. I'm so much better though as the pain that was shooting down my left arm was killing me. My left thumb is still numb but my index finger is getting better. Im sorry to hear you are still hurting, do you walk much? I walk twice a day, usually totalling 4 miles a day. My hip hurts from bone graft but thats ok. I've read alot that walking really helps and the way I feel I believe it. Good luck!