NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Better late then never (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/62735-late.html)

jakatak 12-04-2008 11:38 AM

Better late then never

My history is well known....drugs, surgery, therapy and the unrelenting pain of PN. This isn't Earth shattering, and, common knowledge for many. However, my system removed from alcohol has begun to respond in a positive way. Yes, the numbness from the surgery won't ever get better, but the burning, aching and zapping have pretty much come to a cessation. I still am troubled with tight shoes, but the improvement is close to 75%. No Lyrica, no tramadol, no vicodin, no nothing! I am grateful for this improvement. I remember Bob talking about paying the price for the occasional glass of wine. I had that small glass of wine three weeks ago, after not consuming any alcohol for a month....and OMG! Not worth it!!! I have nobody to blame but myself for the damage I've done. I can only stay focused and stay the course with the hope of alerting those that have dismissed alcoholic neuropathy as a possible cause. It doesn't have to be due to a lack of nutrition either. Although the abuse of alcohol can certainly strip the body of nutrients. Nice to be back!

Silver Swan 12-04-2008 12:29 PM

So happy

remember Bob talking about paying the price for the occasional glass of wine. I had that small glass of wine three weeks ago, after not consuming any alcohol for a month....and OMG! Not worth it!!! I have nobody to blame but myself for the damage I've done. I can only stay focused and stay the course with the hope of alerting those that have dismissed alcoholic neuropathy as a possible cause. It doesn't have to be due to a lack of nutrition either. Although the abuse of alcohol can certainly strip the body of nutrients. Nice to be back![/QUOTE]

to see you posting again, Jak. And delighted to learn that you think that alcohol was causing a lot of your problem and you are cutting back (or perhaps, out). This is so helpful to others and also a caution to some. :cool:

I have been wondering about you and glad to hear that you are doing so well. Let us hear from you more regularly.

Shirley H.

Brian 12-04-2008 04:16 PM

That's great news jakatak, I am glad you’re doing so well.
As I have been through the regeneration process don't get discouraged if you have some unexplained flaring of symptoms, it's completely normal as the nerves are trying to regenerate and the numbness seems to take the longest to repair.

Brian :)

nide44 12-04-2008 05:49 PM

Hey, Hey, Hey !
(as Fat Albert once said-Cosby)
Good to see you, again.
Keep posting.
Venting is good as long as it doesn't start on a downward spiral.
We'll be here to help, if we can.

jakatak 12-05-2008 10:12 PM

Lyrica

It is so strange how the nerves can ebb and flow with pain. No sooner than I typed the post, and the next morning my feet hurt again. I hadn't taken any Lyrica the day before....just to see how my feet would react to no meds. Not Good! As much as I detest the weight gain, and the occasional drowsiness....Lyrica does settle down the aching. I just have to watch my sugar and alcohol intake, and hopeful I can keep this beast under control.
On another point....I am so glad to be back among friends. I will try to be supportive and encourage those that also suffer. Hi everyone! Especially Bob! :)

pabb 12-06-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakatak (Post 420188)
It is so strange how the nerves can ebb and flow with pain. No sooner than I typed the post, and the next morning my feet hurt again. I hadn't taken any Lyrica the day before....just to see how my feet would react to no meds. Not Good! As much as I detest the weight gain, and the occasional drowsiness....Lyrica does settle down the aching. I just have to watch my sugar and alcohol intake, and hopeful I can keep this beast under control.
On another point....I am so glad to be back among friends. I will try to be supportive and encourage those that also suffer. Hi everyone! Especially Bob! :)

have you tried benfotiamine? and if the sugar as well as the ETOH is bothering you, you "should" be eating a diabetic sort of diet.......but you know that, lol.....have you tried going wheat/rye/barley free? ie celiac disease diet?

dahlek 12-06-2008 04:55 PM

Good to see you back

Keep it together and Try different 'diets' ...in a way that won't put you on lettuce for life? And see.... Something may be a key to helping those slow nerves grow back!
Remember that you will get zaps and zeeps once they start to heal, but they will be much more random. While painful, they usually don't last longer than an hour-key tho, is to work your body gently and correctly so's you don't overdo and give these new nerves a way to go? It can be scary when they start, but just keep telling yourself... well, you know.
Hugs and hope always - j