NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Parkinson's or brain tumor... (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/63054-parkinsons-brain-tumor.html)

jeanb 12-08-2008 11:04 AM

Parkinson's or brain tumor...

Thw neurologist who diagnosed me said "you either have Parkinson's or a brain tumor." Then he scheduled an MRI for my brain. As it turned out - I did not have a brain tumor - hence the pd diagnosis.

I just received a email from a gentleman whose wife was dx'd with PD 2 years ago - BUT they just recently found a brain tumor. :eek: They are now treating the brain tumor and her PD symptoms are gone.

He says his wife is doing OK, but what a scare!

@chilles 12-08-2008 11:22 AM

Hi Jean, that's why they call it a "practice". The medics will get it right sooner or later.

Gary

jeanb 12-08-2008 11:49 AM

Gary -

You are tooo funny! Hey - I think we're due for our "annual" lunch!

jean

RLSmi 12-08-2008 01:09 PM

Interesting!

This brings to mind events that I expeienced about ten years ago, a couple of years before my PD Dx. I was experiencing fairly significant balance problems and periodic dizzy spells, having had a couple of non-injury falls on stairs at work. I saw a neuro several times who who had me try one or two meds that were little or no help. She then had me take a head MRI, on which she thought there was evidence of small lesions that could have been caused by the TIA (tranient ischmic attack) that I had experienced a year or so earlier.
When the anti-vertigo meds failed to work, the neuro sent me to an ENT doc who is also a head and neck surgeon. I was tested for inner ear dysfunction, which yielded nothing significant.
The ENT had me take another MRI, this time with and without gadolinium contrast, which is supposed to light up tumors. A day later she called me in, concerned enough about a bright spot on the MRI to refer me to a neurosurgeon.
When my wife and I went in to see the neurosurgeon, we expected to hear the worst. I had brought the MRI film taken some 18 months earlier. He put the films up on his light box, pointed to the bright spot and said, "This has not grown in more than a year. It is no more significant than a mole on your face. Go home and forget it." Needless to say, we were greatly relieved, and happy to do just what he said.
I had not thought of any connection between those events and PD until I read Jean's description of the woman with the tumor. I would be interested to go back and see if the location of my lesion is in or close to those affected by PD.

ZucchiniFlower 12-09-2008 10:59 PM

Wow, do you still have the MRI films? That would be really something if that 'spot' is in the basal ganglia.

GregD 12-10-2008 07:24 AM

That is just plain scary jeanb. Like most, I had an MRI during the pre dx days.
For Me that was 10 years ago. I have often asked my MDS about taking another one. She asks if the first one showed anything. I tell her no. She says then there is no need for another one unless something else happens. I wish these doctors would quit practicing and start curing.

GregD

lou_lou 12-10-2008 07:36 AM

dear jeanb,

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanb (Post 421272)
Thw neurologist who diagnosed me said "you either have Parkinson's or a brain tumor." Then he scheduled an MRI for my brain. As it turned out - I did not have a brain tumor - hence the pd diagnosis.

I just received a email from a gentleman whose wife was dx'd with PD 2 years ago - BUT they just recently found a brain tumor. :eek: They are now treating the brain tumor and her PD symptoms are gone.

He says his wife is doing OK, but what a scare!

dear jeanb,
please get you MRI, and take it to a better doctor - and get a second opinion.
there is always a third opinion as well - because if you feel this is something
you should follow up on -do so please...

I have heard of worse and a great conclusion to getting second and or even third opinions...

jeanb 12-10-2008 02:41 PM

had my mri

Tena
Thanks but I don't have a brain tumor. I DID have an MRI which ruled out a brain tumor. I do have PD.

The lady I wrote about DOES have a brain tumor -- and would have avoided much trouble if her neurologist had given her an MRI two years ago.

Best, Jean