NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Shots or not? (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/63060-shots.html)

MSDave 12-08-2008 01:27 PM

Shots or not?

[F]In the past, I've always opted out of getting any of the yearly shots (flu, pneumonia and so on). My reasoning has been that an MSers immune system is so jacked up that one could never get sick and, for a number of years this has held true. Right until a few weeks ago that is. I started sneezing in the morning and kept at it almost non-stop the whole day!

At the end of the day I was so stuffed up that even now, about a month later, my nose runs like a faucet. Great for making one work on the breathing, terrible for those who have to do it or listen to it.

So the question to the group is, do you take those shots? I always also thought that they might trigger a flair up, which was another reason I never took them.

Again, considering recent events, I think next year I am going to try them and see what happens.

Dave
[/FONT]

legzzalot 12-08-2008 01:35 PM

The last time I got the flu shot 2 weeks later I had the flu then it went away and a few weeks after that I got the "super flu" I'm not kidding that's what they called it. It stayed in my body hibernated and morphed into a super bug and beat me from the inside out. They gave me Tamiflu which was supposed to help but did nothing but cause it to turn into bronchitis to boot.

I vowed never to get the flu shot again after that.

Jules A 12-08-2008 03:48 PM

I get the flu shot each year and so far, knock wood, no problems.

SallyC 12-08-2008 05:31 PM

Yes, Dave, get the Flu and Pnemonia shots. They are not live viruses anymore, so you can't catch the flu from them now.

Except for the Nasal Spray Flu vac....don't get that...it's live..:eek:

MSDave 12-11-2008 11:29 AM

[F]Okay fine, next year I'll give the two, flu and ammonia (:yikes: ) shots a try, but if I die from them I'm gonna be pretty mad and will not speak to you again!

Dave
[/FONT]

lady_express_44 12-11-2008 12:40 PM

I've been getting the flu shot for the last 10+ yrs, and it usually makes me feel a little sore and flu'ish for about a week. I've avoided all the "BIG" bugs though, and that is much worse for me than feeling a little off for a week or so.

I haven't had my flu shot this year though ~ just haven't gotten around to it. Keeping my fingers crossed. :eek:

Cherie

FinLady 12-11-2008 01:22 PM

I've never had a flu shot in my life, neither has hubby. So we're just a little relunctant to do so right now.

But I think I heard something recently about half doses being ok for adults. I wonder if that could be an option? :Dunno:

weegot5kiz 12-11-2008 02:13 PM

personally i am not a fan of these shots either but, having MS and getting the flu really bite, it can really wipe you out, same with pneumonia, i just don't get that shot because i get pneumonia 1-2 times a year regardless of shot or naught, so why waste money, but the flu one I get that one

ewizabeth 12-11-2008 02:15 PM

I always get the flu shot and glad I did this year. Someone in the office is off with the flu though she came in Monday coughing and looking feverish. She's been very sick for a week! BTW, she never gets the flu shot and got just as sick a few years ago.

dmplaura 12-11-2008 03:06 PM

I had a chat with my parents about this one actually. My father has been anti-drug for anything for ages. Except for his heart attack. He let them do what they needed to do for that, but otherwise, he avoids prescriptions as much as possible.

In 1999, I went home to visit my parents for Christmas and being the thoughtful, caring daughter I am, I brought along a flu bug with me. I was pretty darn sick with the flu as I recall, but I got over it without much trouble (the flight back with stuffed up head, NOT GOOD.. my ears didn't pop for days after!).

My parents on the other hand, got hit wickedly hard with this bug that I brought home (my picture of health brother didn't get sick what so ever, go figure). End result was my mother collapsing on the floor one evening, my father calling 911 and both of them being rushed to the hospital in separate ambulances (he was dreadfully sick as well, but seeing my mother that ill put him into a state of panic and anxiety).

Since then, they've both gotten the flu shot annually and neither of them have had the flu since.

Hearing the story has somewhat changed my opinion of the shot, or got me thinking about getting it. Especially since my father swears by it now, and when he swears by something in the medical world, you know it's good. ;)