NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Numb hand (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/6478-numb-hand.html)

Silverlady 11-16-2006 11:43 AM

Numb hand

I know a lot of us have compression neuropathy symptoms. But have any of you ever woken up with a numb hand and it doesn't go away in a reasonable time?

Yesterday I went to bed with a perfectly normal hand (except for the usual tingling) and I woke up about 4:00 a.m. and my left hand was numb (pinky, ring finger, middle finger). I didn't think much about it, just thought I had slept on it wrong. So I went back to bed on my back with my arms down by my sides to hopefully let everything normalize. I woke up again and the entire left hand is numb. It is now 10:42 a.m. and the hand is still numb. Everything else seem normal, at least for me.

Billye

dahlek 11-16-2006 01:21 PM

I occasionally have that issue...with the feet...

But did experience it with the hands after I'd acquired carpal tunnel in one hand [did the damage in ONE day]. I'd found that IF I slept a certain way, hand would take a while to 'wake up', when I didn't sleep that way...no problem.

With my feet, it really does matter how I sleep, and then wake up w/or w/o numbness depending on the How of sleeping. It's sort of hard to correct yourself from sleeping wrong when you're asleep tho...unless your spouse is awake to roll you over...Took a long time to 'reprogram' myself about how I sleep...sometimes it works, other times not.

I understand, tho I'm not sure this helps with answers tho - hugs! - j

Silverlady 11-16-2006 02:04 PM

Still there

It's now 1:04 p.m. and my hand is still numb.

Billye

Junie 11-16-2006 02:10 PM

Same thing happened to me except it included my left arm and its been this way 2 months now....plus it slowly moved to my saddle area so it seems I now have cauda equina syndrome to go along with my arachnoiditis! I sure hope yours is temporary.

Aussie99 11-16-2006 03:35 PM

Hi Silverlady

I would notr have actual numbess,but a feeling of numbness in my left hand. Meaning that it felt numb,but if I poked it with a sharp object I could still feel it, or a tickle. So I first had to distinguish between actual loss of feeling,and a feeling of numbness.

It has happened to me on several occassions with my fingers on left hand. It has always resolved. Longest it's lasted was about 2-3 weeks. It generally resolves,it may even be healing as well.

glenntaj 11-16-2006 04:42 PM

Bilye--I know you're going to Mayo soon--

--but if this doesn't resolve, at least somewhat, in 48-72 hours--given, of course, that no other symptoms unusual for you pop up--you might need to go get it checked out. There may be pressue on the nerve roots leading to that hand or on the spine itself, caused by such things as disk slippage.

Another possibility would be a circulatory problem in that hand--blood clots in certain major arteries in the arm or wrist, or compressive swelling (and you're certainly prone for that with the autoimmune issues you have) might produce similar symptoms. Keep monitoring closely, and tell us of any changes.

Are there differences in the degree of the feeling, finger to finger, or on different parts of the hand?

LizaJane 11-16-2006 05:42 PM

I don't like this

Billye---Has your hand been numb ALL DAY? That just seems not good to allow to persist, and, while I'm not sure what it means or what would be done for it, I'd suggest letting your doctor know ASAP. I've awakened with a numb hand, or leg, many times. Compression, even mild compression, makes my body "fall asleep". But it has always gone away in a reasonable amount of time.

Let your doctor examine it, okay?

mrsD 11-16-2006 07:18 PM

Ditto...

This needs a medical evaluation.

Little numbness comes and goes...one that stays? That is a different animal.

Silverlady 11-16-2006 10:05 PM

It's still there

It's now 8:56 and it's still there. I have been better able to analyze it. The little finger seems to be o.k. now and the ring finger is only slightly numb. But the index, pointer and thumb are numb big-time. The hand itself seems to be fine, it's only the fingers. I've also got a very painful neck on that side I've discovered. I don't remember doing anything to my arm or neck. I haven't even been in the pool for a week. I've been packing, training dogs, etc,etc. all the little details that drive you crazy. The hand has been very cold today. I'm hoping that sleeping in a carpel tunnel brace will help it. I tend to sleep on my right side with the left hand braced against the bed to balance me. Maybe I put too much pressure on the carpel tunnel nerves. We'll see.

Thanks for caring everyone...
Love,
Billye

Yorkiemom 11-17-2006 12:55 AM

Hi Billye

Please call Dr. T and tell her nurse what is going on if you wake up like this in the morning. Hopefully, it will be resolved, but if not, someone needs to look at this right away. If you call early enough and are insistent, probably they will ask you to come in tomorrow.
Cathie