NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Appreciate any suggestions (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/66159-appreciate-suggestions.html)

Silverlady 12-15-2008 12:19 AM

Appreciate any suggestions

I've just recently had to wear a 24hr Holter monitor to monitor unusual heart rythmns(no results yet). The places where the 5 leads were are naturally irritated. But three of them (the ones over bone) are bright red, weepy and really sore after 6 days. I've put Neosporin over them after they were removed because they were so painful. They told me that I could do that if they were bothersome after a few days. Is this a natural reaction or should I see a doctor. I'm not sure what to use on them. I've got what I consider dry, sensitive skin.

Thanks for any ideas.
Billye

mrsD 12-15-2008 07:24 AM

Wow...

That is kind of extreme for an adhesive!

I'd keep the area clean with Hydrogen Peroxide.
Then cover with a bandaid that has a little Neosporin on it.
Hopefully you are not allergic to that adhesive too!

Sores heal faster when covered. Change the dressing daily.

For redness with no weeping, some 1% Hydrocortisone cream may help.

Silverlady 12-15-2008 12:15 PM

As ever

Thanks Mrs. D,
I'll get some larger no stick bandaids. I can always depend on you to come thru. I wasn't sure what was safe on places like these.

Billye

dahlek 12-15-2008 01:00 PM

That adhesive stuff can be nasty....

at best! I've had some problems with different stickinesses and understand it totally!
I suggest you ask Kmeb about this issue as she had a similar issue this past year... apparently there is a less aggravating 'contact' that has less irritating stickiness. She could tell you which one is best as she went thru this with her own holter monitor experiences.
For me? I just get very very red and irritated, usually a hydrocortisone creme or ointment after a swipe w/an alcohol pad to get the 'gunk' off. Just my take on how I do things.
I've not gotten to the point of sores tho, and I'd go w/Mrs D's advice on that aspect. Can I say OUCH! now? :hug::hug:'s - j

BEGLET 12-15-2008 01:45 PM

Heart Leads

Silverlady, good to hear holter ok... but yes, those leads can be brutal... I wear a 24 hour or 21 day monitor every year - and have to use the ones for very sensitive skin, and dont let them scrape your skin first either which they do sometimes to help them "stick" - or the reaction to the regular leads is even worse (you can clearly see red welts for at least a week with the regular leads when I have them and they itch like crazy too)...

I've had the welts last that long before I discovered the hypo-allergenic type - as Mrs D said - I'd use the HP (I buy that couple bottles at a time - very good and inexpensive and help heal fast) - I've never used neopsporin too but again, never asked about it - I'm sure Mrs D is dead on here....

In any case - if they are weeping - definately keep them clean and covered - and sorry you have to deal with this now!