NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/)
-   -   sore bones and joints (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/6618-sore-bones-joints.html)

sleepingbean 11-17-2006 07:21 PM

sore bones and joints

Bean has been complaining of sore joints and sore bones ever since school started up. We notice it the most when she is not wanting to do something (then she starts to whine and says she can't because her bones hurt, or her legs hurt, etc). So it is really hard to know if they really hurt or if it is just a method of getting out of doing tasks she doesn't want to do?

BUT since joint/bone pain are so common with Celiac, I can't ignore it, either.
BUT she is gluten free and she's been doing really well for 2+ years. Other then school just wearing her out, I don't get it? Do any of you have ongoing bone/joint pain even after the gluten has been cut out?

I had joint pain as a teen, but only when exercising. I don't notice it much anymore, although I don't "run" or do anything that would hurt my joints.
I don't know. She is not doing well in Gym class either.

Normal kid stuff or Celiac related area of concern???

NancyM 11-17-2006 08:09 PM

It's common in people with AS to develop bone pain as children. I know a lot of the folks at the kickas.org site have mentioned they had terrible pain as children and everyone always said it was "growing pains". I remember having awful pain in my thighs. But I don't think my AS really started kicking in until I was in my 20's or 30's.

Anyway, I hope it isn't AS or any other autoimmune arthritis. But there are other sorts of autoimmune arthritises... if it keeps up, it might be worth seeing a rheumatologist.

RathyKay 11-18-2006 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepingbean
Normal kid stuff or Celiac related area of concern???

I tend to think of dairy with bone pain... but aren't you guys dairy-free?

sleepingbean 11-18-2006 08:52 AM

Yes, we are dairy free. I toyed with dairy yogurt, briefly, but I stoped that after ear infections began cropping up, so no dairy.

I am not familiar with AS
I'll look it up

Mrs. Bear 11-18-2006 09:37 AM

I would bring it up with little Bean's doc anyway. I used to think that Con's joint pain was from gluten and growing pains and tried to teach him to try any way and bio feedback stuff.

Come to find out he really has some ligament issues and he needs physical therapy. Patterofemaral syndrom, some thing compartment syndrom and flat feet. Pretty much just means a life time of joint pain. :(

And little Celiacs don't get lots of vitamins and minerals. Lots of vitamin deficiencies can make us hurt. Like calcium or potasium.

I feel so bad she hurts. Poor little Bean.

Love Erebear

KimS 11-18-2006 09:53 AM

Are you sure that some casein isn't sneaking in somewhere?... Like maybe some rice cheese or soy cheese?

I'm thinking you probably are sure and almost didn't post this... but then thought I should anyway... just in case.:)

annelb 11-18-2006 10:15 AM

Is there any significance that this pain started "ever since school started up". Is there any possibility that she is getting glutened at school?

Sorry she is hurting - hope you find the answer.
Anne

sleepingbean 11-20-2006 11:53 AM

Thanks Erebear :) I will mention it at her next well child check and get feedback!

Kim, there is no way that dairy can sneak in on us. I have a severe reactino to dairy, and I know all the hiding places (after 15 years of dealing with it, I'm not likely to miss something!) Of course when trusted products change their makeup, that is something of concern, but we don't eat any cheese products or anything suspect at present. She does eat Toffuti about once every 3 monhts (I do pizza about once a season for the girls) and that one is dairy free, but it has hydrogenated oils and soy, so it's still crap!

Anne, I don't think she is getting gluten at school right now. The reason I mention the "since school started" is because that is when we noticed it, but it is also a very huge change in her life to go to school every day, after never going more then 9 hours in a week.
I wonder if she isn't just tired and associating achy with fatigue?

Thanks for the brainstorming!
You guys are great.
I am not scheduled to take her to the Doctor until spring, but odds are she will get sick once between then and now, and I will just double up this when the time comes, assuming she doesn't feel any worse. She has all week off this week, so I'll see if the complaints of pain go away when she is at home for the week. If so, I would have to suspect it is fatigue or emotionally relateD?

Hanna 11-21-2006 12:24 PM

anemia and joints

My 14 year old who has been severly aneamic has been suffering from joint pain. I did as a child and now have knees that want to explode.

Also Pamela bread mix has milk in it. I pm 'ed you. I don't know if they changed the recipe or not.

We also find that products are always changing their contents. The surprise glutening.

I hope she feels better