NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Hydrocephalus (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/)
-   -   VP shunt conversion to VA. (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/66798-vp-shunt-conversion-va.html)

jadiee-x 12-18-2008 07:19 AM

VP shunt conversion to VA.

Im due in the next couple of weeks to have my VP (VentriculoPeritoneal) shunt converted to a VA (VentriculoAtrial) shunt as my peritoneum dont work as well as before due to multiple surgeries therefore it doesnt absorb the CSF as well as it should.

I am wondering what to expect in surgery.
Whether my stomach will be cut again in order to take the tube out of the peritoneum or whether the tube will be pulled from the incision that will be made in my neck?? (As this is where they will be reinserting the catheter to go into the jugular vein and into my heart.)

Any ideas will be great.
Thank you
Jade xo:grouphug:

Melissa21 12-18-2008 04:15 PM

Hey! Well, I don't have the exact shunt type you have but I can tell you what happened with me when my shunt was changed from a VentriculoPeritoneal to a VentriculoPleural shunt. My shunt was moved for basically the same reason yours sounds like it is. The scar tissue wasn't allowing the CSF to absorb the way it was suppose to and(in my case) causing Pseudocysts.

Now for me they didn't cut my stomach again. They just pulled it out from where they cut me at my valve. Let me know how it works out for you! I've had some issues with my shunt since it was converted in 2007 and come very close to having it changed to a VentriculoAtrial shunt a few times, so I'm interested in hearing how it all goes for you!

jadiee-x 12-19-2008 10:18 AM

thanks alot melissa :)
I've had so much done on my stomach, I've got 2 scars on there and one of them has been reopened 4 times so its a right mess!! :(

I will be sure to update you on how its goes :) x

pamimm 06-09-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa21 (Post 429976)
Hey! Well, I don't have the exact shunt type you have but I can tell you what happened with me when my shunt was changed from a VentriculoPeritoneal to a VentriculoPleural shunt. My shunt was moved for basically the same reason yours sounds like it is. The scar tissue wasn't allowing the CSF to absorb the way it was suppose to and(in my case) causing Pseudocysts.

Now for me they didn't cut my stomach again. They just pulled it out from where they cut me at my valve. Let me know how it works out for you! I've had some issues with my shunt since it was converted in 2007 and come very close to having it changed to a VentriculoAtrial shunt a few times, so I'm interested in hearing how it all goes for you!

My 22 year old son has had 6 revisions with his VP shunt since November, 2009. in March 2010 the distal tubing was pulled from his peritoneal cavity (because of a pseudo cyst that he couldn't get rid of) and placed into his gall bladder. His gall bladder is now failing and it looks like a Ventriculopleural revision is the next option. What problems should we be on the lookout for?

monicad1974 06-11-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pamimm (Post 663115)
My 22 year old son has had 6 revisions with his VP shunt since November, 2009. in March 2010 the distal tubing was pulled from his peritoneal cavity (because of a pseudo cyst that he couldn't get rid of) and placed into his gall bladder. His gall bladder is now failing and it looks like a Ventriculopleural revision is the next option. What problems should we be on the lookout for?

revisions after VA shunts are so much easies than VP I was so scared to go to a VA but I am so glad I did now. I don't frequent here alot but you can find me on facebook. Monica ball ;)