NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Fruitcake Poll (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/67014-fruitcake-poll.html)

Blessings2You 12-20-2008 07:58 PM

Fruitcake Poll

Fruitcake has kind of a reputation. You know: OH NO, somebody gave me a fruitcake, who can I pawn it off on? I was wondering about your opinion?

SallyC 12-20-2008 08:21 PM

Although I put, deserves it's rep. my friend's aunt make a mean home made fruitcake.

ali12 12-20-2008 08:21 PM

I voted for 'Yuck, it deserves its reputation'! I cannot stand fruit cake - it always makes me feel really sick and I will NEVER eat it at Christmas, usually I end up having a cake and the rest of our family has the fruit cake. It annoys my mum sometimes that she has to buy one whole cake just for me LOL.

The rest of my family love Fruit Cake so I just let them eat it and I have something completely different!

I don't like sprouts either, they make me want to be sick everytime I eat them! Even the thought of them makes me feel sick!!

Momma's Kids 12-20-2008 08:22 PM

It's one of the foods I will gladly spit out.

Gazelle 12-20-2008 08:35 PM

I like dark fruitcake fed with rum and cognac and aged a year. Most I can't stand. They're too sweet and disgusting.

But the dark stuff..... oh man.... it's great.

And I make my own. People who haven't liked fruitcake have liked mine. Julia Child's recipe. :)

LavandulaCanadensis 12-20-2008 08:37 PM

i'd live for awhile on fruitcakes, thick farmer's cream or vanilla ice cream, and milk... yummy... good homemade or bakery fruitcakes, not the cheap ones from the grocery store... i voted 'i love fruitcakes'

unfortunately, i'm intolerant to gluten, lactose and any form of sugars... i had totally forgotten about fruitcakes :eek: but you're making me droll... :p i'll have to find a receipe that is made of buckwheat and rice, with more spices... :D

SallyC 12-20-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazelle (Post 431071)
I like dark fruitcake fed with rum and cognac and aged a year. Most I can't stand. They're too sweet and disgusting.

But the dark stuff..... oh man.... it's great.

And I make my own. People who haven't liked fruitcake have liked mine. Julia Child's recipe. :)

ummmmmmm...that's the kind my friend's aunt makes. She stores it in the cellar, only disturbing it to add more cognac.:D

Lara 12-20-2008 09:25 PM

I just stumbled in here and voted not realizing where I was. lol :o

I like certain fruit cakes. Home made ones. I just made one a couple of days ago. It's a dark fruit cake. I'm going to cover it with very very thin layer of marzipan (almond) and then white fondant icing and I decorate it with xmas ribbon or usually Tartan ribbon and stick some little things on the top that I've had for years. Xmas tree decoration and a little sled with santa and presents etc.. I don't mind a little bit of home made fruit cake with a cuppa tea. I can only eat a very small piece though. Could never eat huge slices.

I'll tell you something though. They're not cheap to make at home these days. By the time I bought all the ingredients including a miniature bottle of alcohol I could have bought quite a number of cakes in the shop.

weegot5kiz 12-20-2008 09:34 PM

fruitcakes make great door stops

thecatsmeow 12-20-2008 09:40 PM

I like the dark homemade kind. Soak it in enough rum and I am a happy girl!

Joyce :)