NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   M.G. & Alcohol (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/67098-alcohol.html)

littlekitten 12-21-2008 07:15 PM

M.G. & Alcohol

As the holiday season is upon us, I just wondered for those that do drink:

1) Do you still drink now that you have M.G.?
2) How does alcohol affect you now that you have M.G.?
3) Do you find the spirits you once enjoyed you can't because they affect you differently?
4) Did a change in medication cause any difference?

Just some curious questions...

Lydia

redtail 12-21-2008 07:35 PM

Hi Lydia

Alas I can no longer drink, and I use to enjoy the odd one or two or three

The day after drinking my MG is sooooo much worse, so it just ain't worth it, I find that even a few home made Lemon Lime and Bitters(the are 44% alcohol) make me feel a bit dodgy. So I try to stick to one or two, or not put as many bitters in as I like.

hope this helps
redtail

MissyGirl 12-21-2008 07:39 PM

1) Do you still drink now that you have M.G.?
Yes, I still drink---as much as I can! ;) (I love using that line with the neuro's office!)

2) How does alcohol affect you now that you have M.G.?
I often find I can't tolerate the amounts I used to enjoy. I've always been a light drinker, so this is somewhat disappointing.

3) Do you find the spirits you once enjoyed you can't because they affect you differently?
I have found the most difficulty with drinking wine, esp when out in a social situation or a party. I seem to choke really easily on it and it makes it difficult to eat and speak. In fact, one of my first indications I had that I might have MG before I was diagnosed was drinking wine at a party and suddenly not being able to speak.

In general, I find I can drink much more volume when home with my family, and not under social stress. Wine, still is a problem at times, though.

4) Did a change in medication cause any difference?
No, but in general I don't drink if I'm having swallowing issues. Alcohol pouring out my nose is not a pleasant sensation. :(

Hope you can enjoy a cocktail or two this holiday season.

Cheers!

Missy

justdeb 12-23-2008 09:42 PM

Hi, I don't drink much either. I have had a single rum and coke which I nursed relentlessly till it was essentially colored water. LOL
I am going to try daq and wine very soon.
It is like anything else, all things in moderation. Have a few sips, see how it goes. If all goes well, next time have a single drink.
Getting tanked is def NOT an option.
But as I said give it a whirl and see how it goes. That is the only way we will know for sure. We are all snowflakes after all!!
Not all of us can be sauce hounds like SOME people!! ROFL!!!
HUGS
Deb