NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   skin biopsy labs (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/67550-skin-biopsy-labs.html)

sbvcrn 12-26-2008 12:02 PM

skin biopsy labs

Hello all
I posted a few days ago asking if anybody had used Therapath labs for their skin biopsy but no replies. I dont recal that lab being mentioned on the forum...mainly John Hopkins, etc. What labs have "you all" used to diagnose your small fiber neuropathy? Thanks. p.s. Guess I am wondering if my lab was any good (sure cost enough if that is any criteria).

dahlek 12-26-2008 02:38 PM

I guess folks aren't replying because....

they don't know?
Did your doc take the samples? Did you or he/she mail them?
My own experiences were more with blood work and the whole spinal fluid issues....in my case, the doc did take the spinal fluid in his office-then send me directly to an area hospital for blood work and to turn in the vial of fluid.
From the copies of reports I got back some went to Athena labs in CA [even tho there is one on the East Coast?-they send it far away so no one testing will 'know' you-go figger], some went to Mayo and some to Quest or Labcorps... It took about 5-6 weeks to get all results back. Longer to sort out insurance payment issues tho-far longer.
For any skin or nerve biopsies tho, I've read that how they are taken, prepared before sending, how they are sent, and then treated once received can be key to the value of the results. There are a heap of variables in the whole sample diagnostic equation - But, we do what we feel we must to try and GET SOMEWHERE in the whole process. I truly hope that your sample arrived perfectly and that the results are useful for further treatments. It doesn't change your pain levels per-se, but there is sometimes comfort in the knowing what all you will be dealing with.
I truly hope that your holiday was relaxing and even fun! Best always! - j

sbvcrn 12-26-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahlek (Post 434231)
they don't know?
Did your doc take the samples? Did you or he/she mail them?
My own experiences were more with blood work and the whole spinal fluid issues....in my case, the doc did take the spinal fluid in his office-then send me directly to an area hospital for blood work and to turn in the vial of fluid.
From the copies of reports I got back some went to Athena labs in CA [even tho there is one on the East Coast?-they send it far away so no one testing will 'know' you-go figger], some went to Mayo and some to Quest or Labcorps... It took about 5-6 weeks to get all results back. Longer to sort out insurance payment issues tho-far longer.
For any skin or nerve biopsies tho, I've read that how they are taken, prepared before sending, how they are sent, and then treated once received can be key to the value of the results. There are a heap of variables in the whole sample diagnostic equation - But, we do what we feel we must to try and GET SOMEWHERE in the whole process. I truly hope that your sample arrived perfectly and that the results are useful for further treatments. It doesn't change your pain levels per-se, but there is sometimes comfort in the knowing what all you will be dealing with.
I truly hope that your holiday was relaxing and even fun! Best always! - j

Thanks for the reply. I guess my "problem" is I have intense small fiber peripheral neuropathy symptoms and my skin biopsy (by therapath) came back normal so of course the doctor says I dont have neuropathy. My EMG showed some very slight abnormals and the NCV and all the numerous blood tests were negative. The doctor's nurse (RN) did the biopsy in two places...ankle area and thigh and then they were sent back east to therapath. So, you know how it goes...would just like something to come back positive even though it may not change the treatment...it would just lead some credence to all my misery. Hope your holidays are/were great also.

amit 12-27-2008 01:47 PM

Sfsn

I also have SFSN with normal results in my tests. My neurologist believe me for having SFSN and said that sometime the nerves ar OK, no demage to the nerves, but there is a prblem with the channals and the signals that nerves are sending. So, maybe this is the case.
Try do some sport activity in order to help your blood flow.

sbvcrn 12-27-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit (Post 434596)
I also have SFSN with normal results in my tests. My neurologist believe me for having SFSN and said that sometime the nerves ar OK, no demage to the nerves, but there is a prblem with the channals and the signals that nerves are sending. So, maybe this is the case.
Try do some sport activity in order to help your blood flow.

Thank you for your reply. I feel like my doctor thinks I am making this up. He has prescribed Lyrica and/or Cymbalta which I may try after the first of the year. Have tried neurotin without any type of results. As far as exercise, fortunately, I have no motor deficits and am very active...tai chi, dog walking, treadmill, bicycling, house and garden work etc. I do realize that I am very lucky being able to do all of these things and when I am very active I dont tend to notice the burning as much. As you probably know, evening time is the worst! I do believe something definitely is going on but they just havnt found the right test which probably wouldnt change the end result anyway...alas!