NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MRI frequency (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/67589-mri-frequency.html)

woodhaven 12-26-2008 08:05 PM

MRI frequency

Once you have been diagnosed with MS, how often does your Neuro want you to have another MRI? Thanks

wkikta 12-26-2008 08:12 PM

Usually every three years.

woodhaven 12-26-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkikta (Post 434349)
Usually every three years.

Thanks, wkikta. The last one I had was Jan., 2008. The Neuro wants another this January. Guess I need to talk to him some more as I don't see the need for another this soon. Thanks again.

MrsBones 12-26-2008 08:32 PM

It depends on your situation and doctor. I was meant to do once a year, but since my MS has kicked up some more and I'll be starting Tysabri soon, I'm at every six months.

My friend is stable on Copaxone and is on a once a year schedule with the same doc I have, while another friend of mine sees a different doc and only gets an MRI if something changes drastically.

tovaxin_lab_rat 12-26-2008 08:36 PM

Happy New Year!

woodhaven 12-26-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsBones (Post 434353)
It depends on your situation and doctor. I was meant to do once a year, but since my MS has kicked up some more and I'll be starting Tysabri soon, I'm at every six months.

My friend is stable on Copaxone and is on a once a year schedule with the same doc I have, while another friend of mine sees a different doc and only gets an MRI if something changes drastically.

Thanks MrsBones. I definitely need to make a decision before the middle of January.

lady_express_44 12-26-2008 08:58 PM

I know I have MS, even though I denied it for many years. :rolleyes: I have had one MRI in 18 yrs, because my doctors feel having another is not going to change anything . . .

Neurology. 2008 Dec 10

MRI as an outcome in multiple sclerosis clinical trials

Daumer M, Neuhaus A, Morrissey S, Hintzen R, Ebers GC.
From the Sylvia Lawry Centre for Multiple Sclerosis Research (SLC) (M.D., A.N.); Technical University of Munich (M.D.); Ludwig Maximilians-University (M.D.), Munich, Germany; Department of Neurology (S.M.), University Hospital of Rennes, France; Department of Neurology (R.H.), University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, Netherlands; Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics (G.C.E.), Oxford University; and Department of Clinical Neurology (G.C.E.), John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK.

INTRODUCTION

T2-weighted and gadolinium enhanced T1-weighted MRI scans measure plaque burden and breakdown of the blood-brain barrier, respectively, in multiple sclerosis (MS) lesions. These have become widely used outcome measures for monitoring disease activity in clinical trials and clinical practice. However, their use as surrogates or biomarkers for disability and relapses, key clinical outcome measures, has remained incompletely validated.

METHODS:

In a clinical trial database comprising 31 relapsing-remitting and secondary progressive MS trial placebo groups, we assessed relationships between 1) T2 lesion load (TLL) change and disability change and 2) gadolinium enhancement of MS lesions and on-study relapses with univariate and multivariate analyses.

RESULTS:

In relapsing-remitting MS, TLL change (n = 223) made no independent contribution to predicting change in disability from baseline to trials' end. Similarly, inclusion of gadolinium enhancing lesions (n = 170) into multivariate models did not independently contribute to the predictive value for on-trial relapses. In secondary progressive MS, a small effect of TLL was found for disability change (n = 355) but in multivariate analysis this accounted for less than 5% of the variance in end-of-trial disability. Results were replicated in independent datasets, more than doubling effective sample sizes.

CONCLUSIONS:

MRI measures widely used in trials of relapsing-remitting and progressive multiple sclerosis add little if anything independently to the clinically relevant relapse and disability outcomes. These results reemphasize the importance of validating potential surrogate markers against clinical measures and highlight the need for better MRI markers of disease activity and progression.

PMID: 19073945

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content...916.38629.43v1

Cherie

MrsBones 12-26-2008 10:28 PM

I think the general idea is not to have one just for the sake of having one, but when used in conjunction with relevant relapse and disability to determine progression , (and yes, for me new disability showed my doc there was a need to switch treatment before I had my last MRI) it can be an important tool.

But it is just that...a tool. Not the end all ,be all of MS diagnosis or treatment. They are only a snapshot in time, what is going on at that very moment. Some lesions disappear and they can take quite a long time to appear in the first place.The lesions may or may not correlate to your symptoms.

All they actually provide you with is an idea of what's going on at the time. So they may help you decide if a drug is not working at the moment , determine that there is nothing beside MS causing a problem or help the doc in diagnosis, but can not predict anything, as I think we all understand. No doctor or test can predict the future here.

Ultimately, you decide when or if you have one.

RedPenguins 12-26-2008 11:22 PM

As of next week, it will be one year since I was diagnosed and had my first MRI (January 4).

I've had 4 MRIs so far....I'm about once every 3 months - though the time between the last two was only 9 weeks as I ended up in a flare and they wanted to see if there was activity, so I went a few weeks early. Part of the HiCy protocol includes continuing the MRIs every 3 months and I'm quite glad as I like to know what's going on up there. Even though it's not reliably a predictor in studies, it seems to be a predictor/indicator in the course of my disease, which is fairly aggressive.

FinLady 12-29-2008 12:12 PM

Currently every 6 months, but am hoping that as long as I remain stable it will change to yearly.