NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Members' Mall (https://www.neurotalk.org/members-mall/)
-   -   Amazon or Ebay? (https://www.neurotalk.org/members-mall/67614-amazon-ebay.html)

Curious 12-27-2008 01:39 PM

Amazon or Ebay?

I have hundreds, if not thousands of books. :o I haven't counted them, but boxes and boxes. I used to have a formal library in our house. The books in there were all hardback. Since we moved, I have only bought paperback.

I need to sell them. I have donated a lot, but I need the moola.

Which would be better? Amazon or Ebay? One of our Yoga instructors works for Half Price Boooks. They have so much stock right not, I would be luck to get 5c per book. Many they would just offer to recycle. :(

I do have many first editoins and some are antique.

Oh, I also need to sell my Curious George collection. :(

who moi 12-27-2008 01:42 PM

if you are going to auction it, ebay gets more notice

if you are going to sell it in bulk, I would go with amazon.

all those rare books might do better on ebay.

You can try both also, I've notice a lot of dealers do ebay and Amazon...

antique books?? :(

bring them here when you come, we have an antique book dealer...she pays %35-50% of value...

Chemar 12-27-2008 02:48 PM

I have sold books on both
eBay is more profitable IMO although Amazon sells well.
Amazon's fees are a bit steeper, especially since eBay recently reduced their fees for books.
I dont sell on auction tho, only fixed price which is currently 15c /30days insertion fee for books while amazon is 99c plus higher commission too. the advantage with Amazon is real easy to list tho longer listing period
Also on Amazon you dont pay the insertion fee till it sells

Jomar 12-27-2008 03:45 PM

If you have sets or rare ones maybe try a few ads on craigslist?
to see if any hits that way?

Or are you thinking a bulk sale of everything at once?

tovaxin_lab_rat 12-27-2008 04:51 PM

I sell a lot of books on half.com, which is part of eBay. I have had good luck. Buyer pays pre-set media shipping costs. When you list the books, the program gives you a range of prices for that book based on the condition of the book and tells you what it is currently selling for and what the last copy of that book sold for and how many are currently listed. You can also set your own price and you don't have to take pictures. You can use the "copyrighted" dust jacket photo of the book as your listing picture. It's really pretty easy.

If you have rare books, or first editions, I would try Craigslist, or an auction on Ebay. You'd probably make more money.

Curious 12-27-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo55 (Post 434648)
If you have sets or rare ones maybe try a few ads on craigslist?
to see if any hits that way?

Or are you thinking a bulk sale of everything at once?

Too much to sell all at once and ship. Where I live is gated and they frown on having pick up here from craigslist, but I can use the gym for that. :D

I'll look at half.com Cheryl, I forgot about that. I really like the idea of not having to take pictures. I know I will have to do that for the old books. I might try and post some at a few different places.

My goal is to get it all sold before we move in the beginning of summer. No way are we moving this stuff again.

Chemar 12-27-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious (Post 434700)
I really like the idea of not having to take pictures. I know I will have to do that for the old books. I might try and post some at a few different places.

both Amazon and eBay main site will give you the
"stock" photo and prefilled info when you enter the ISBN number

dont ever have to take photos for books with either of them and limit description just to condition, as all the other info is "prefilled"

Doody 12-28-2008 12:36 PM

Oh No~!!! Not your Curious George collection! I love my Curious George monkey. ((Curious)) :hug:

Curious 12-28-2008 02:21 PM

Pretty sad huh Doody? You and Bizi have two of my oldest ones. :hug:

I have given some as gifts, but I'm having to part with the rest now. :(

Doody 12-29-2008 04:46 PM

Hey, I know someone in Iowa who would be happy to add another monkey to your collection. I love him but he would go to a good cause...you! :hug: