NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Home Remedies (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/67808-home-remedies.html)

Kitty 12-30-2008 07:58 AM

Home Remedies

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post435793-4.html

Curious suggested a "Home Remedies" thread....and I think that's a wonderful idea! My grandmother and mother used to use all kinds of home remedies for what ailed us. Some worked....some didn't.....but it would be interesting to hear what others do when they don't want OTC or prescription meds.

Twinkletoes 12-30-2008 10:32 AM

Okay, so how do I cure procrastination? :confused:

tkrik 12-30-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinkletoes (Post 435953)
Okay, so how do I cure procrastination? :confused:

Become forgetful! Then you won't remember that you procrastinated. LOL

Blessings2You 12-30-2008 11:55 AM

I was going to procrastinate, but I keep putting it off.

My grandmother used to give us a big spoonful of melted butter when we had a tight cough. I wonder why?

Riverwild 12-30-2008 01:42 PM

Good Thread!

Honey and lemon for a sore throat= 1 tbsp. honey, 1 tsp. lemon juice, heat and take one spoonful. (from my mom)

Gentian violet= dab on canker sores in mouth (from my mom)

Mud on a bee sting= mix a paste of mud and water and apply to bee sting. Let dry. (from my mom)

Oatmeal Bath for itchies= 1 cup oatmeal (not instant or fast cook!) tub of warm water. Mix and climb in, soak until water is too cold to sit in. Rinse and pat dry. (from my mom)

Baking soda and peroxide to brush teeth when you don't have toothpaste= mix a tbsp of baking soda with a tsp of peroxide. You can flavor it with peppermint extract or other flavored extract. Brush teeth normally. (from my mom)

I've got lots more! (all from my mom! Boy, she was something! I miss her and wish I had listened more when she spoke! :cool:) ((that's for all the moms out there!! kids WILL remember! :p))

Momma's Kids 12-30-2008 01:51 PM

Save your used aluminum foil...its great for cleaning grills, tire rims, etc.

Wasp/Bee stings...you can also use tobacco soaked in water or chew it if you don't mind the taste. Place it on the sting.

Vinegar...cleans and kills most bacteria better than bleach. It also will take the 'heat' of a sunburn. Sit in a tub of warm water and pour over skin, then soak in water for a few minutes.

Baking soda is also good to clean brass and silver...just make a paste, add a pinch or two of salt...clean, rinse and dry with a soft cloth.

Lighter fluid used in small lighters is good for removing oil stains, like chocolate, bubble gum, etc. Just pour around stain and then wipe with a wet hot cloth...wash with regular laundry and most stains will come out.

weegot5kiz 12-30-2008 03:08 PM

I have used most of these too honey and lemon ig good so is and a lot less tasty, warm water and salt water gargle, for sore throats, and for mouth infections, helps draw it out

aspirins crushed and mixed with water form a paste and apply to bite and scratches

oh and for male dogs oops inside use vinegar to clean it keeps them away from marking it again

MelodyL 12-30-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 435905)
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post435793-4.html

Curious suggested a "Home Remedies" thread....and I think that's a wonderful idea! My grandmother and mother used to use all kinds of home remedies for what ailed us. Some worked....some didn't.....but it would be interesting to hear what others do when they don't want OTC or prescription meds.

what a neat thread!!!

My mother (and her mother, and so far back as I could remember), had one remedy for anything to do with congestion. In Italian it's pronounced PICARADDA.

I heard that in the jewish culture, it's called cupping.

Well, here is how it goes. when you have chest congestion, or a bad cold, you lay on your stomach. Someone else has to do this to you, you can't do this to yourself.

My mom had an old italian friend Lia, who came over one day. I thought she was practicing voodoo on me.

She would take a wine glass, then she would take a quarter, wrap a piece of gauze around the quarter.

She then put the quarter on your back, set it on fire (I'm not kidding you).and insert the wine glass over the corner so the rim is flat on your back. All of a sudden you would hear a whoosh sound, and the fire would suck your skin into the glass, putting out the fire. She would do this all over your back. You would be left with round circles all over your back.

I will never forget when she took me to the doctor the next day (the home remedy didn't work, obviously, and I was coughing my brains off).

The doctor listened to my chest, then he raised the back of my blouse, and when he went to put the stethiscope on my back he jumped and said "oh my god, what are these circles?" My mother explained what had happened and he gave her a dirty look and said:

"Listen to me, she needs antibiotics, AND NO MORE VOODOO!!"

I will never forget that conversation if I live to be 100 and that was over 45 years ago.

lol

Buffheart 12-30-2008 06:59 PM

My mom makes sugar with (oatmeal I think) as an exfoliater

Lara 12-30-2008 08:40 PM

Cold tea is good for sunburn too. I guess it's the tannin.
I don't mean that iced tea drink, I mean proper leaf tea brewed and allowed to go cold.

I use aloe vera for burns and stings and such. Just snap off a bit of the leaf and squeeze out the juicy bits.

Vinegar has been mentioned, but I'll mention it again because it's quite the wonder cleaner and it's so inexpensive. (white vinegar I mean, not balsamic or redwine vinegar LOL ! )

Vinegar is helpful to reduce the pain of marine stingers too.

When I used to get splinters as a child my auntie used to make a bread poltice and I thought it was gross and I still do, but it always drew out those nasty splinters.

Lavender oil or whole cloves are good for keeping insects away in cupboards

Gosh, I have more but can't think of them at present.

Melody, there are natural practitioners who do that cupping thing and they sure do leave huge red circles. lol.