NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   ? about buying a used scooter (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/72185-buying-scooter.html)

doydie 01-18-2009 10:57 PM

? about buying a used scooter

My daughter has a coworker that has a used scooter he would like to sell to me for $300.00. My daughter hasn't asked him what kind it is. My ? is this. He says the battery is dead because of the scooter being in his garage for a year not used. The story on this scooter is that it was his Moms' and she used it for 1 month before dying. So he is saying it is literraly a brand new scooter. So can a battery 'die' due to not being kept charged? And can it be recharged or do you have to buy a new one? Thanks!!!!!

weegot5kiz 01-19-2009 12:15 AM

yes a battery can die down some can be recharged, also if the person had taken said battery out and left it on a cement floor that will kill the battery also, dont ask I am not sure how that one works but cement floors an batterys dont gel, even with dead battery it sounds like a pretty good deal

doydie 01-19-2009 12:42 AM

I guess I'm going to have toncheck it out for myself. I would prefer a scooter with a basket since the only time I use one now is at amusement parks, etc. I know someday I may need one at other times. With the other kind of scooter you have to worry about whether it is right or left handed. Or maybe that can easily be remidied?

TheSleeper 01-19-2009 02:10 AM

Batteries can die with age if they are not kept charged, if it had been used 1 month and is 5 or 6 years old it is possible. Condition, especially tire and seat can give an indication of use.

All the scooters I have seen or used have two batteries a 24 volt operating system like some electric trolling motors, more volts and amps = more power.

Some brands are no longer made, getting parts to repair them could be a problem. Some are more reliable than others.

Steering on a scooter? Tiller bother or either hand, on an electric wheel chair, joy stick and some or most can be moved to either side.

Mine came with a basket on front, it was simple and cheap to install one myself on the rear also.

Lady 01-19-2009 02:55 AM

Doydie,
I think you will have to look at it and maybe have it checked out for wear and tear. I have one, a small three wheel scooter, that I use when necessary, like you said for travel or parks and uneven ground.

I use the store scooters when necessary, or my cane. It depends on relapse time. :) I have a basket on mine and a soft bag to hang on the back and a pole on the back to stick an umbrella in for the sun. It was $1000.00 new.

I don't charge mine unless I plan to use it. It could go dead I guess when not used or charged. So far I have been lucky.

I can't imagine the price of a new battery, but it has to be cheaper than buying a new scooter yourself. Find out the brand and check their web-site.
It sounds like a good deal.:)

CrystalSword 01-19-2009 03:36 AM

Batteries

I bought a used Rascal two years ago, this one was $6800 with hoist, ramp, grocery basket, etc. and the batteries were shot. It had been used 5 - 6 times and the man who had it passed away. His wife had a golf cart she used, said the scooter was too small....its perfect for me. She charged me $500 for the works and allowed me to make payments, two weeks after we made the last payment, she passed away....a very sweet lady.

Batteries can be gotten from Interstate Battery or go to www.monsterscooterparts.com and type in scooter type and it'll tell you what you need to know. I paid $96 for my first set of batteries and $271 for my second set. I've used it for two years and its been a godsend but I have been getting out more lately and actually walking.

oldsteve 01-19-2009 06:46 AM

Back to the original question. Yes, batteries can lose charge after prolonged periods of non-use. If it's plug in-able (is that a word?) plug it in and see if it charges up. If not, replacement batteries are easy to find.

I have an older Rascal that I 'inherited' from my mother after she developed Alzheimer's and could no longer use it safely.

I have found batteries at a local tire/auto parts shop for a lot cheaper than from the manufacturer or an online vendor. I don't think it really matters what name is on it. They're all manufactured in China, anymore so who cares?

And Frank's comment about cement floors is true. Never store an automotive battery on a cement floor. For some reason it saps the voltage right out of them. Not sure exactly why. Maybe the combination of residual moisture and "grounding". I just remember being told by shop teachers and shade tree mechanics to always place a battery on a piece of wood.

weegot5kiz 01-19-2009 09:07 AM

makes you wonder what the CEEment is doing to use standing on it:yikes:

I liked the suggestion take a look at it for wear and tear, tires seat etc... good luck I hope it turns out to be a nice deal

kicker 01-19-2009 10:03 AM

There was a Grey's Anatomy episode where a young boy/man was encased in cement. In such quantity it leeches moisture and stuff out of you so don't stand barefoot on cement for long times!!!

janlici 01-19-2009 10:05 AM

You can buy batteries for your scooter if yours have died. I did, and it cost me a whopping $80. :) I bought them online through mobility direct and I called them to ask any questions I had.

Three hundred dollars is cheap for a scooter! Maybe you could keep it as a back-up if you decide to buy it. :)