NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   Use of iodine/kelp for FM? (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/7285-iodine-kelp-fm.html)

Sydney 11-26-2006 08:40 PM

Use of iodine/kelp for FM?

I was reading that the thyroid may have something to do with the cause of Fibromyalgia. I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thiroditis (sp.?) but the Dr. has not been treating me with any medication for it. When looking at my bloodwork all the thyroid levels look to be within the normal range.
The Dr. recommended I take one 3 mg/. iodine tablet daily. Also, I heard that often the thyroid panel does not really pick up all thyroid deficiencies. A low body temperature is a predictor of thyroid as well as adrenal system problems. My body temp is always below normal - sometimes even 96.
I went to the health food store to get more iodine and they only sold kelp. I originally got the tablets from my Dr. Is there a difference between taking the iodine or kelp?
Is there a connection between thryroid and / or adrenal function and fibromyalgia.
Anyone know anything about this?
I am sure Mrs. D. does. Thanks, Sydney

orthomolecular 11-27-2006 01:34 PM

Have you heard of the iodine patch test? You get iodine liquid in a drug store and paint on a 2 inch square patch on your skin someplace where it won't be washed off within 24 hours. If that square fades completely within 24 hours than your body is low in iodine. If it is not low in iodine then your body will not absorb it completely in 24 hourse.

Some have said that this test may not be accurate, but I don't remember any explanation. I think it might be useful instead of taking supplements and not really knowing if you need them.

This site says that kelp will aggravate Hashimoto's (in the first question).

http://www.thyroid.ca/Guides/HG13.html#1

mrsD 11-27-2006 05:38 PM

I suggest...

really suggest you have a technicium uptake scan.
Self medicating iodine is not a good idea. I had fairly normal blood tests,
but a goiter, and also some severe signs pointing to thyroid issues.
My antibodies for Hashimoto's were negative.

The radioactive scan showed a very damaged gland. And the upshot was
the assumption that the hormone being made was not bioactive, so even
though my tests were not extremely off, I was pretty bad.

On hormone now, and much much better.
Some general signs:
1) orange discoloration of the skin, most noticeable on palms and feet.
(low thyroid prevents conversion of betacarotene to Vit A...so it is deposited in the skin)

2) hair falling out. Hair on arms and legs disappearing.

3) cold feet --numb feet..painful feet. Carpal tunnel in hands.

4) brittle nails--that break easily.

5) low fasting glucose (blood sugar)..mine was 60-70 ave. After hormone, they are in the 90 range now.

6) swelling of neck/face. My whole face changed when I went on hormone, and people I knew for years, didn't recognize me at meetings!!
7) TSH above 3.0. (new levels)

Of course there may be other signs, but I really don't think taking iodine, beyond what is in a multivitamin is wise. You should have a doctor supervise that.

Sydney 11-27-2006 09:10 PM

thanks ortho and mrs. D

Thanks for the info on the iodine and thyroid issues. It was my Dr. who diagnosed me with the Hash throiditis as well as prescribed the iodine.???????
Based on that article it looks like they' re not compatible. I'll discuss that with him on my next visit.
Mrs. D - I'll check with my Dr. about that scan. However, after looking at the symptoms you described - I don't have any (except cold feet which I've had all my life). Also, my tsh is 1.72 and t4 is 1.09. The research I did on the thyroid (hypothyroidism or was it hashitmotos (I forget-I read about both of them) said your tsh would be high and your t4 would be low if you had either of these conditions. Looks like I am ok according to my test results.
However, I am having the thyroid tests repeated next week as these results are from a year ago.
Thanks to both of you for your help. I just am so grateful for this website and people like you who are so willing to take time to share their knowledge with others.
Sydney