NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Chewie is coming home!!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/74244-chewie-coming-home.html)

Doody 01-27-2009 02:15 PM

Chewie is coming home!!!

Doc called this morning and said dramatic changes had occurred with Chewie since yesterday. His white count is almost normal. His fever is gone. He's eating. So doc feels it best that Chewie go home where he can start moving about. But he has to stay on his antibiotics for the next 3 weeks and special AD diet cat food.

He did vomit his food last night and the doc thinks it's because of the pain. So he was going to dose him again with the pain meds they use after surgery.

His worry is that there are a lot of wounds in Chew's guts and he doesn't want them to abcess. Chewie has to go back on Friday for more bloodwork and a recheck to be on the safe side.

I'm a little nervous. :o

Thanks for all of your support dear NT friends! :hug:

Lara 01-27-2009 02:26 PM

What wonderful news to wake up to. That's so good, Doody.
I can understand your being nervous although it sounds as if he's doing so much better and being home will certainly help him recover faster.

mrsD 01-27-2009 02:36 PM

Wonderful!

Does he have drainage tubes?

We had a cat many years ago, who was mauled by a large dog.
(we did not see it happen).

She developed peritonitis, and had surgery etc.

When we brought her home she wanted to be in the basement all the time. So I spread out a white sheet for her, and changed it every 3 days or so, and she stayed there by herself, for almost a month. The only food she would accept was watered down tuna. (mostly water). I had to clean her drainage tubes all day long. She sort of KNEW what she could do, and was very reclusive. Then one day she just came up the stairs and announced herself like nothing happened!

Chewy might be that way too. Don't expect much from him at first.

Alffe 01-27-2009 04:04 PM

His "siblings" are gonna be so happy to have him back! mama too...*grin

jaded2nite 01-27-2009 06:01 PM

This is the best news I've heard all day!!!!! :D

He will do much better in familiar surroundings!!!

GmaSue 01-27-2009 06:11 PM

Yay!!!!!! Oh, now you get to be mama, vet tech, and nurse all rolled into one.
Lucky Chewie to have you!

Koala77 01-27-2009 06:59 PM

That's wonderful news Doody. I'm sure you'll be pleased to have your whole family back together. :)

Doody 01-27-2009 07:05 PM

My big boy is home!!!

First, thank you ALL of you for your support and prayers and positive thoughts!

He is SOOOOOOOO happy to be home. On the way home from doc's, I had his carrier in the front passenger seat. (He has to use Bruna's carrier, he's too big for cat carriers.) I put my fingers through the door and he rubbed and rubbed and purred and meowed! I laid down with him on the floor when I got home, and he was grunting, groaning, mewing, purring and held my head with both of his paws. LOL!

His poor tummy. As I said, it's stem to stern and I have no clue yet how many staples are holding it shut. I'm supposed to check that closely each day. He goes back on Friday for blood test, etc. He takes 2 antibiotic pills per day and will for the next 3 weeks. His staples come out in 10-14 days. They gave him another pain shot before we left. Something they give after surgery. I don't know how a pain shot lasts for several days, but I guess this does.

((Mrs. D)) no he doesn't have any tubes.

He's not to have ANY dry food until doc says it's okay. He sure doesn't like the Science Diet AD prescription food, sigh. But he will when he discovers I'm giving him nothing else! They said this is temporary but for now he needs this kind of food.

Of course, his 'siblings' have all had to investigate him. :rolleyes:

The actual surgery came to $514.50. Now compare that to the vet college which said minimum $2000. :rolleyes: And as I said, he's a wonderful old vet who lets his clients make reasonable payments when they need to. I don't know WHAT I'll do when he retires! He's a gem. Unfortunately, they don't do spinal surgeries or we'd have taken Otto to him as well.

They also were concerned about the story of Otto and sent home a bottle of a particular liquid B vitamin to give to my daughter for him. They said to give Otto a teaspoon twice a day on his food.

Anyway, my gentle giant is home and very happy to be here!!!

Much love to you all for your kindness and support! :hug:

just drea 01-27-2009 07:26 PM

:yahoo: Chewie is getting better...a lil :Zzzz:and lots of :hug: and kitty will be the fur baby again!

Nik-key 01-27-2009 08:24 PM

A
happy tears! I am so happy for both you and Chewie!:hug::hug: I know he will get the best of care! Wonderful news!

As for Otto, Kasey took liquid B too. As well as Omega fish oil and very high doses of prednisone. (tappered down slowly for 6 months) Keep us posted on your baby and Otto:hug: