NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   The heat and our pets (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/75340-heat-pets.html)

Koala77 01-30-2009 07:38 PM

The heat and our pets

Australia is in the midst of a heat wave.

Quote:

(from another thread) mrsD......... We just read today in our papers about pets dying in Australia due to the heat wave.......
Your papers are correct mrsD I'm afraid.

In one city alone, 22 people died yesterday from the heat, and many people lost their much loved pets, including our own Jaime S. :Sob:

It got to 42.2 (109F) where I live, and we went close to losing out cockatiel in the heat. I think the only thing that saved him was we showered him with the hose, then kept wetting him down with cold water from a spray bottle.

Extremes in temperature sure is hard on our pets.:(

SandyC 01-30-2009 08:24 PM

I am so sorry for the loss. :hug:

Is Jaime a member here?

Koala77 01-30-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 456980)
I am so sorry for the loss. :hug:

Is Jaime a member here?

Yes Sandy. :

Jomar 01-30-2009 10:34 PM

At our county fairs that are held in mid summer here -
they fill up plastic water or pop bottles and freeze them, then they lay the frozen bottle in the cage with the animals.
The animals will lay next to the cool bottle if they get too hot.

for the cows, pigs, horse and other large animals they have big fans in the barns and take then out to hose them off often.

the frozen plastic bottle is a good tip to remember for smaller animals & birds
you can put a few ice cubes in a shallow dish of water - in case your birdie wants to cool himself off

Koala77 01-30-2009 11:25 PM

Thanks for that Jo.

Our little bird has been too lethargic in this heat to do anything. I couldn't get him interested in his bird bath, hence the spray bottle. We've had a fan on for him as well and he's getting regular showers, as it's almost as hot again today.

I say in today's the RSPCA (animal welfare) are calling for ice cream containers, and yoghurt tubs for freezing water just like you suggested.

Jaime_S 02-01-2009 09:09 PM

Yes, I lost my old dog to the heat, and I know of other people who have lost animals during this heatwave. But also, we've had some fires burning out of control where animals were lost also. It's been a long and very hot summer, that's for sure!
I was worried about our pair of cockatiels too, as we have a young baby cockatiel still in the nest, but luckily they have all survived!
~Jaime~

Koala77 02-01-2009 09:42 PM

Mixed emotions for you then Jaime. I'm still feeling so sad that you lost your dear friend, but I'm glad at the same time that your little birds survived. :hug:

I don't know if you watched Sunrise this morning, but there was a segment about animals in this terrible heart, and they even mentioned cockatiels. It's probably on their website if you're interested.

The fires across the states have been devastating. I know from past experience that thousands of natives like the koala, will have been killed or injured because of the fires..................... and to think that some of these have been deliberately lit.

I know darn well what I'd like to do to the people who lit them.... but I am a lady, and wouldn't print what's going through my mind! :mad:

Koala77 02-03-2009 02:50 AM

Poor hot little koala:

As I mentioned earlier, it's been so very hot here in Australia for over a week or so, with temperatures over 105F+ degrees everyday in South Australia.

I wanted to share this email that I received today.

It shows some photos taken by a woman who lives in Maude, South Australia.

This little Koala just walked into their back porch looking for a bit of heat relief. She filled up a bucket with water and this is what happened!

mrsD 02-03-2009 03:20 AM

Wow...

that is just awful for the animals (and people too).

Our cats don't do well when it hits 90 either. They go to the
basement, lie under bushes, etc.
We only have A/c in the bedroom here.

I hate to see suffering... it must be terrible there. That poor koala in the bucket! :eek:

mrsD 02-04-2009 03:41 PM

Today....

Koala....

Your friend or someone connected to her posted a series of
photos of the poor koala using the rescue water bucket at

I thought you and others here would be interested.