NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Denial Letter from Social Security now what??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/76126-denial-letter-social-security.html)

patch 02-02-2009 03:55 PM

Denial Letter from Social Security now what???

Well after waiting 6 months I got my denial letter from social security today. This is what it stated:

"We have determined that your condition is not sever enough to keep you from working. You state you are disables and unable to work becuase of right foot drop, numbness right leg, muscle spasms, vision problems, 6th nerve palsy, depression, memory loss, headaches, back pain, fatigue, loss of coordination. We have reviewed the medical records, and they show that you are being treate for your condition." and blah blah. Are they kidding me.

Yes I'm being treated but nothing is fixed so how in the world amI supposed to act or perform work duties with all these doctor appointments and new medications just to see what will happen.

So now what do I do???

Help

Niko 02-02-2009 04:56 PM

Look into getting a lawyer. That's what I did. The first time I applied - I did it on my own and was denied. Then I got a lawyer and took it to a judicial hearing. I won.

Don't give up!!!

Niko

NurseNancy 02-02-2009 05:10 PM

this whole process can take upwards of 2 yrs. sorry.
it's common to be denied on your first try. i was too.

make sure all your drs are on the same page, especially your pcp and neuro.
make sure they have documented this in your chart. make copies of everything even if you have to pay for them.

then contact a disability lawyer and employ them to file your appeal.
they will take a certain % from any benefits you're initially paid. you don't give them anything up front. and they will usually do a free consult.

i can't emphasize enuf that your drs have to back you up and have their results in your chart.

good luck. and i agree. don't give up.

Grammie 2 3 02-02-2009 05:36 PM

I hired an atty who specialized in SS disability claims. As soon as she heard I had ms and my sx she took my case - the only $$ she expected me to pay were any expenses she incurred and 1/3 of the back $$ from when I first applied. Granted the 1/3 is a goodly amt but she made it so easy/smooth that it was absolutely worth it. She didn't charge me the $200-300 in expenses; I figured it was because she made many thousands from my case.
Good luck,
Linda

Twinkletoes 02-02-2009 06:32 PM

Sounds to me like they need to get "treated" for stupidity! :mad:

lady_express_44 02-02-2009 06:47 PM

How do they expect people to live while they dilly-dally around, and then the lawyers end up taking a large chunk?

Seriously!?!

Cherie

SallyC 02-02-2009 06:54 PM

The Idiots waste taxpayer dollars to take all the time and paperwork to deny all these ligitimate claims..:mad:

Keep in mind, that, if you are 55 and disabled you can collect regular SS, unless that rule has been changed.

Jappy 02-02-2009 07:01 PM

Sometimes I wonder if the Lawyers have and in with the SS board.

It seems the first time is always denied, you get a lawyer and wamo
things start moving. Next you get the approval.

Jappy:(

wkikta 02-02-2009 08:49 PM

Time for a lawyer. They get 25% up to a max of $5300, nothing up front. They can charge you for reasonable expenses, but most lawyers consider that to be somewhat unethical.

GmaSue 02-02-2009 09:02 PM

Good Luck. Try not to get too discouraged. :grouphug: