NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   It's official! I'm diseased and my doctor is a moron! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/77712-official-im-diseased-doctor-moron.html)

legzzalot 02-13-2009 12:25 AM

It's official! I'm diseased and my doctor is a moron!

So I had to follow up with the neuro today after yesterdays trip to the ER. First he tells me the back pain is muscular (like he always does) and has nothing to do with MS (like he always does) I told him he was full of crap, a full day of testing later...My spinal cord is swollen again.

We fought over the ON. He tells me it is mild, I tell him it has been here for 2 months and it is getting worse. He tells me he can't fix it. But he can tell me that the pupil is not responding as well in that eye and my vision is no longer 20/20 with my contacts in. He is just full of useful information that I didn't already know today. Can't imagine why I have been complaining about it for 2 months?

We also discovered I am losing muscle in my left leg and my right leg doesn't respond to the reflex test very well. I am not shocked by this both legs have been numb since August This is what started the whole diagnosis.

But since the ER doc started me on the Medrol Dose pack yesterday he is going to tell me to finish that up and come back in April. Oh yeah he wrote me another prescription for another pain reliever.

I cross referenced all my meds last night and discovered that 8 out of 10 should not be combined. I brought this up today he asked why I am taking all of these. I almost punched him at this point... They were all prescribed by him! And all prescribed since October, do they not keep a record of this in my file??

I am frustrated with my doc. I have to raise my voice to make him listen, and I have to demand action for him to do any testing or change any medications. Needless to say I am looking for another Neuro.

Desinie 02-13-2009 02:57 AM

I don't blame you, Legzz,I'd be looking for another neuro too! He should have been the one to know that there are interactions with the meds you were prescribed by him before he prescribed them.

At the beginning of each of my neuro visits, the nurse asks me what meds I'm on and the dosages. I also have typed out in a Word document all my meds and dosages and vitamins and supplements. Lately, I've just been handing that list over rather than having to remember it all. I take quite a few different vitamins and supplements.

I don't blame you for being frustrated. Good luck finding a more informed, helpful neuro! :hug:

Lady 02-13-2009 03:15 AM

Hi Legzz,
I agree with Desinie.

You should not have to fight with your doctor, ever. Yes, he should know and keep tract of the medications you are taking. You are not getting good doctor/patient care from him. Get a new Neuro, like you said. That is awful what you have to go through with him. :mad:

I always make a list of my drugs, supplements and issues, and hand it to the doctor for my file, just to be sure. My Neuro always knows, but this way we can discuss my issues and be on the same page. I hope you feel better. :)

PolarExpress 02-13-2009 05:19 AM

Sounds like you got a real weener - uh - winner there...Don't even ask me to remember the website, but you might wanna add his info to the rate-a-neuro site to warn off any other possible victims..I know the address is in here somewhere & if I have 2 brain cells to rub together I'll find it..:o

FinLady 02-13-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarExpress (Post 465125)
Sounds like you got a real weener - uh - winner there...Don't even ask me to remember the website, but you might wanna add his info to the rate-a-neuro site to warn off any other possible victims..I know the address is in here somewhere & if I have 2 brain cells to rub together I'll find it..:o

MS Neuro ratings I believe. (brain is fuzzy this morn)

Legz, I'm so sorry to hear about this. :hug:

My neuro starts off every visit asking me about the meds I'm on and how they are working out. After this last round of stuff, I'm gonna take Des and Lady's advice and have a pre written list the next time I go.

Maybe the NMSS could help ya out for the next doc. :hug::hug:

dmplaura 02-13-2009 09:50 AM

Legz that sucks girl. Good thinking on the new neuro, keep us posted and I hope you're feeling better. Spring's coming! :hug:

azoyizes 02-13-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarExpress (Post 465125)

The website is: RateMDs.com

I have it on my favorites, and we have gotten some good use out of it.

Legz, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with such an awful doctor. I'm glad you know it's time to move on and find yourself a new neuro. It's hard. I think neuros as a group are some of the most arrogant doctors there are.

If you like and trust your primary care doc, tell him the problem and ask him to refer you to a neuro who is also a human being, who will listen and not talk down to you. That's what I did, and I got a good one. :)

SallyC 02-13-2009 12:59 PM

Well, Carp, Legz. With Docs like that, you don't need any more enemies..:rolleyes:

Feel better Dear One..:hug::hug:

AZjanie 02-13-2009 03:33 PM

Oh my gosh did this ever bring flash-backs to my Neuro; Dr. Idunnowhachugot. :(

This guy kept telling me my problem was depression (I am not depressed), then the "change" (I already changed 20 years ago), stress (I have NO stress), past drug abuse ( yeah; vitamins!) :rolleyes:

He said: People over 40 do not get MS so you don't have it!! :confused:

Every visit was just a waste of my time and co-pay so I found a Neuro who was willing to accept there was something else going on and didn't treat me like I was a neurotic, crazy old broad!!

When I got my medical record from Dr. Idunnowhatchugots office under diagnosis he wrote: Most likely Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis!

It is time for you to find a NEW NEURO!!

:hug:

sabimax 02-13-2009 05:12 PM

new neuro new neuro new neuro alert!!! fast find a new one girl..and hugsssss
sarah