NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Progressive lenses (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/77738-progressive-lenses.html)

Jules A 02-13-2009 11:07 AM

Progressive lenses

OMG I hate these! They said it could take a week for me to get used to them and I'm going to try and stick it out but I am tempted to just buy another pair and continue looking over/under as I have been.

Any experiences or pointers you can share would be most welcome. I'm headed to work so if I don't respond until tomorrow that is the reason, not that I'm not appreciative of your time. :)

wkikta 02-13-2009 11:25 AM

I have progressive trifocals. It took a little time to get used to them, but I have no problems now. I don't like the close area being so small so I wear lined bifocals when working.

Jappy 02-13-2009 07:30 PM

I wear progressive glasses. It took awhile to get used to them,
but know I would not wear anything else.

Just keep in there. You will get used to them and how to work with
them.

I believe it is a little different for everyone in how long it takes
them to adjust.

Jappy :)

Jomar 02-13-2009 08:56 PM

I never did get used to mine.
I was in a RSI/TOS flare with severe neck muscle spasms at the time and having dizzy spells with it too.

The eye doc said I would get used to them and it was mostly a matter of getting them adjusted properly.
NOT!
I think they gave me frames that were to wide and did not fit well to my head - and so the lady could never get them to fit well or comfortably for me.
I even tired adjusting them myself after I gave up on the lady.
I used to wear safety glasses at work so often adjusted those myself.

The lenses made me more dizzy and nauseated -esp while shopping in stores. All that extra head tilting wasn't helping my neck any either.

now I just use off the shelf readers since I don't need any correction for distance anyway.

SallyC 02-13-2009 09:21 PM

I hated mine at first too. I culdn't walk with them on. It was like walking in a room of funny mirrors..LOL.

Love them now, but I still can't walk....not because of the glasses, but the MS..:D

TwoKidsTwoCats 02-13-2009 09:36 PM

I've been wearing Progressives since 2002. It took about two weeks for me to be comfortable with them. THe key is to remember to point your noise at what you want to look at....not just move your eyeballs.

:hug:

Dejibo 02-14-2009 09:19 AM

agreed, its a learning curve. I HATED mine! I wanted to fling them across the room. I felt like i was walking on a water bed. I was unsure of my footing, and didnt know how to tilt my head to see what I needed to see. After about a month, I noticed it came much more easily. After another I found that I got pretty comfortable. Hang in there. I LOVE mine now. I would not want to repeat the learning process, but wouldnt want to trade them in either. :cool:

Jules A 02-14-2009 11:55 AM

Thank you all so much! Its great to hear that so many of you actually said you love them after getting used to the difference.

As "luck" would have it the screw holding the rubber nose piece came off and I will have to take them back for a quick repair so I'm back to my old faithfuls for now. :D

I'm pretty attached to my glasses and very protective of my eyes and balance system since MS. I need to be able to see, totally don't want to be dizzy and am terrified of falling. How sad is that for someone in their 40s?

Oh well it is what it is and as soon as I can get back up to the optical store I'll give them another try. Thanks again. You gals/guys are the best.

Snoopy 02-14-2009 02:36 PM

Hi, Jules.

I am on my second pair of progressive lenses. I hated them at first. I found it very difficult remembering to move my head for the most benefit of viewing with the progressive.

I am enjoying my newest progressive lenses. I made the mistake the first time of getting glasses with too small a lens, I was doing more viewing over them than through them.

I really like the current glasses and adjusting to the progessive lenses seems easier this time, probably because I took into consideration lens size and shape.

I had considered trying lined lenses but I was told if you start with lined stay with lined and if you start with progressive stay with progressive. Apparently many find it difficult to adjust once they are used to either the lined or progressive. I don't know if that's true but what I buy is too expensive to start experimenting :rolleyes:

Umm, just in case I rambled too much.....I love my progressive lenses :p :D

jprinz99 02-14-2009 07:47 PM

hate mine, they gather dust in the cute red case. I really gave it the old college try but am unable to adjust to them.

I do like my old blended bifocals and will ask for a nother set of those.

Just my opinion. Hope you get used to yours (once they are fixed)