NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Autoimmune Diseases (https://www.neurotalk.org/autoimmune-diseases/)
-   -   Autoimmune and Pain - nueuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/autoimmune-diseases/78519-autoimmune-pain-nueuropathy.html)

spkar0517 02-21-2009 11:20 PM

Autoimmune and Pain - nueuropathy

i am seeking members who not only have autoimmune issues (as i do) but other problems such as neuropathy. I believe these issues are related and think we need to join together to get the attention of the medical community. I am not ready to accept a diagnosis of dealing with pain. I have my own autoimmune issues as well as neuropathy and believe there is a connection.

Please see my posting under peripheral neuropathy. i am bound and determined to pursue this.. would love some help.

Nannygoat 03-23-2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spkar0517 (Post 469435)
i am seeking members who not only have autoimmune issues (as i do) but other problems such as neuropathy. I believe these issues are related and think we need to join together to get the attention of the medical community. I am not ready to accept a diagnosis of dealing with pain. I have my own autoimmune issues as well as neuropathy and believe there is a connection.

Please see my posting under peripheral neuropathy. i am bound and determined to pursue this.. would love some help.

Spkar - I have both too. I have a lot of autoimmune diseases which started when I was 15 and then was diagnosed neuropathy after surviving high-dose chemotherapy and radiation. The neurologist said the neuropathy was from one of the chemo drugs - Vincristin. But my mother has it, my sister has it, cousins, etc. It's hereditary. Nannygoat

Fran E 03-25-2009 05:19 PM

me too

Hi, I have peripheral polyneuropathy and have been told I most probably have Sjogren's. None of my tests for Sjogren's as of yet have been positive but I do have severely dry eyes/nose/mouth and quite a few other symptoms (Raynauds etc). I am currently awaiting my second lip biopsy which hopefully will confirm the Sjogren's. I have been told (and have read) that polyneuropathy can be a side effect of a number of autoimmune diseases, including Sjogren's. I believe the medical community is quite aware of these linkages but that there is little being done to figure out cause, treatment etc. I also find it confusing how I can be told there is no treatment for Sjogren's but I could try prednisone for my neuropathy (which is caused by Sjogren's....). Anyway, good luck, let us know how it goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spkar0517 (Post 469435)

crstr 03-28-2009 04:16 PM

I was first diagnosed with Multifocal Motor Neuropathy which started with painful cramping in my right hand and fingers. I have now gone to a diagnosis of CIDP because of pain and severe sensitivity in my right hand plus weakness has now gone over to my left leg and foot.
I am told this is a rare disease so it helps to find people and exchange notes. I am on IVIG treatments which so far have kept things at bay.

maryec 05-06-2009 12:18 PM

I have just been diagnosed with Neuropathy & myopathy due to a connective tissue disease, It is an overlap with my Myasthenia gravis. Back to the Reumy for a look on worsening symptoms !

Grizabella 05-07-2009 06:25 AM

My neuropathy is related to autoimmune diseases. It's genetic, not diabetic or alcoholic induced. I'm on 5mg of prednisone a day to keep it stable.

Fran E 07-13-2009 06:57 PM

Hi - can you tell me how the prednisone is going? One of my neurologists recommended it (the other advised against it) - so far I haven't taken it for fear of side effects (glaucoma, sleeplessness, irritability, weight gain etc). I would love to hear whether all these concerns are valid (knowing that everyone reacts differently)

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizabella (Post 506975)
My neuropathy is related to autoimmune diseases. It's genetic, not diabetic or alcoholic induced. I'm on 5mg of prednisone a day to keep it stable.

lefthanded 07-17-2009 03:23 PM

I have Crohn's, eczema, arthritis, episcleritis, and peripheral neuropathy. I avoid prednisone like the plague, as when I was on it initially for severe ulcerative colitis I became extremelydepressed -- no, despondent -- and suffered many of the side effects immediately (my skin thinned and aged 2 decades practically overnight).

kami 07-19-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefthanded (Post 538940)
I have Crohn's, eczema, arthritis, episcleritis, and peripheral neuropathy. I avoid prednisone like the plague, as when I was on it initially for severe ulcerative colitis I became extremelydepressed -- no, despondent -- and suffered many of the side effects immediately (my skin thinned and aged 2 decades practically overnight).

Also have many neuropathy problems, MS and now at least one other auto-
immune (Collagenous Colitis) plus allergies of various types. I am quite sure
that they are all connected. I have had varied success with prednisone,
doximethazone and Solumedrol, each time different, some bad, others very
helpful. It can't hurt to try, but don't start on or right before a weekend.
You may just need to be in touch with Dr's office! Good luck.

Macophile 08-18-2009 06:09 PM

They tell me my PN is related to the fact I have some kind of AutoImmune Disease, so I am with you.