NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Survivors of Suicide (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/)
-   -   Why do some people kill themselves? (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/79007-people-kill-themselves.html)

Doody 02-26-2009 12:44 PM

Why do some people kill themselves?

Found this in Botty's news forum. Interesting read.

Why do some people kill themselves?

SandyC 02-26-2009 01:06 PM

I found the article interesting. I still don't know why my cousin killed herself. She was never the same after her husband died and we all knew she was depressed but was getting treatment. Many years later she went for a job interview and didn't get the job. She went home, parked the car in the garage still running and killed herself. They found her after not being able to get in touch with her. She had one frozen tear on her cheek.

We'll never know why. She had grandchildren, a daughter in the hospital, everyone loved her. She had to feel so lost.

BlueMajo 02-26-2009 01:52 PM

"Most people who commit suicide have a mental disorder - anorexia, major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder are the most common, but an elevated suicide risk is part and parcel of many of the others, too. People who kill themselves also generally feel deeply depressed and hopeless at the time."

Yes.... I remember that the 2 times I was really close to kill myself was because I was feeling deeply depressed and hopeless...

Im sure there is something in my brain too, like low serotonin, that sort of made me feel "out of my mind" and for seconds forget that I have a mom who loves me, a dad.. two dogs that need me... Is like my mind was blocked and the only thing I had was bad and sad thoughts like "Im alone... nobody cares about me... I dont have friends... Everything I do is wrong.... I have nothing... I have nobody.... I hate myself" Even when as like I mentioned, I do have at least, my mom...

I dont know... it's just weird... I remember that I wanted to die but suddenly started to think about my past and God... so, I started crying and feel sorry for me... Then, I decided I just should try to sleep and forget about trying to kill me...

Is like my brain "disconnected" from reality and all I wanted was to die but I was like in a schock... dont know... weird.

:(

Alffe 02-26-2009 02:33 PM

thank you Doody..that really was interesting!

Ok, so now we have anexoria, bipolar, doctors, (http://www.doctorswithdepression.org/)
Iraq war survivors, students, old people, wall streets economists,
homebuilders.......

Obviously, no one is immune. Life is precious...it's a gift! But how do you make someone feel that way if they feel it's more trouble than it's worth.

BlueMajo I'm so glad you didn't act on those thoughts.

Sandy it seems like so often I hear about someone getting treatment for their depression and completing suicide in the process. A psychiatrist
who deals specifically with depressed patients said recently that he considers himself a survivor of suicide because so many of his patients killed themselves.

http://www.afsp.org/images/Homepage_.../nssd_home.jpg

GmaSue 02-27-2009 01:51 AM

Thanks for the article, Doody.

Nik-key 03-05-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

it seems like so often I hear about someone getting treatment for their depression and completing suicide in the process.
I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with the warnings on some of these medications? I know the medications they put me on state:

"Suicidality and Antidepressant Drugs

Antidepressants increased the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults in short-term studies of major depressive disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of Lexapro or any other antidepressant in a child, adolescent, or young adult must balance this risk with the clinical need. Short-term studies did not show an increase in the risk of suicidality with antidepressants in adults beyond age 24; there was a reduction in risk with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults aged 65 and older. Depression and certain other psychiatric disorders are themselves associated with increases in the risk of suicide. Patients of all ages who are started on antidepressant therapy should be monitored appropriately and observed closely for clinical worsening, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior. Families and caregivers should be advised of the need for close observation and communication with the prescriber. "

And on the insert that came with my medicine:

"You may have thoughts about suicide when you first start taking an antidepressant, especially if you are younger than 24 years old. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits for at least the first 12 weeks of treatment with Lexapro.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself."

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

who moi 03-05-2009 08:15 PM

thanks for this article, doody. :hug:

and thanks everyone else for sharing your thoughts...

it IS very interesting and I want to add something that I was thinking about while I was reading the article.

While he pointed out the two factors, there is another factor that I have been thinking about.

Remember that cult where the leader was able to pursuade everyone to commit suicide?

SUPPOSEDLY, they did it to meet the aliens? (Am I correct?)

now, that's one aspect of suicide that have always been interesting to me. It sounded like these people were "happy" because they belonged to a "club"(But were they truly happy or just emotional prisoners) and yet, while they seem "sound" and "happy", and I recall a few of them were doctos or something. I wonder what was going through their minds when they all committed suicides together.

In the second reasoning of how hard it must be to make that decision.

I think about the world trade center bombing when some of them have decided to jump off instead of getting burned alive. Surely they weren't suicidal (or predisposed) but that was a way out instead of the other way.

So many questions, all interesting...but all deadly and leaves nothing but pain for the survivors...

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Buffheart 03-06-2009 04:46 PM

I have heard of many people who try to commit suicide to try and get rid of the voices in their head

DMACK 03-06-2009 08:07 PM

doody....good question why do some people kill theselves?

another question...why do some people kill other human beings..?

Why in 17th centuray church was suicide deemed self murder and haneous too god, where before the church saw this act as Martyrdom...Many Catholic Saints could been seen as those who instigated their own death,,[suicide]

Why is it a person can take the life of another human being in a moment of blind rage...............and escape punishment because the act was an act of Diminished resposibility

Yet a suicide victim....is often not seen after the event of having any just cause or reason to commit such an act upon themselves.

Like Moi pointed out did the WTC 'falling man' ...COMITT SUICIDE OR DID HE AVOID AN AGONISING MURDER that was about to happen.

Did the countless Jewish women in German concentration camps, who took their own life to prevent the humiliation of rape, or the daily fear of in-humaity towards them by their captors............should they be seen as suicide victims ..or .matyrs....even .. heros.....

SUICIDE ...........such a small word........such a huge meaning.

DAVID

Nik-key 03-07-2009 02:15 AM

I will ask for forgiveness in advance in case I offend anyone. But, am I the only one that can see, there is a huge difference between taking ones life because you just give up........ and instances like those poor souls who jumped from the WTC building to avoid burning to death? You just can not compare the two. IMHO.