NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   HOT feet?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/79043-hot-feet.html)

diagnonsense 02-26-2009 07:17 PM

HOT feet??

Ok, so I have been on Gabapentin for about a week now.
I'm supposed to take 900 mg spread out over 3 times a day, but it just is darn near impossible, so I take one when I wake up and one when I go to bed. (300mg tabs)

However, I have been finding for the last couple nights that I have been REALLY warm.
I live in Wisconsin.. Its February, and we just had a major snow dump.

And yet I turned off the only source of heat in my home last night.

I've also been having crazy hot feet. I will take off my socks, and want to put washcloths on them.

Its not painful, but it feels really warm.
I didn't think to touch it to see if its external as well.

I don't have diabetes.
Believe me, I've been tested extensively, and last summer my A1C was 4.9.

Any clues?

Anyone else have this?

Is it a side effect from the Gabapentin??

It made it darn near impossible to sleep.

jsrail 02-26-2009 09:20 PM

Well, I've noticed an increase in heavy sweating in the last 5 months as my SFN progressed very rapidly across my entire body. I wake up and change my t-shirt 3-4 times a night as I wake up soaking wet! I am hot, then cold changing often, maybe 10-15 times an hour. I have taken 3600mg of Gaba for a much longer period of time than this issue, so I don't think it has as much to do with it, but maybe it does. My legs from the knees down thru my feet are always very cold, though I'm not in a cold house or anything like that. And our weather here in AZ is not really cold or hot right now.

I only guess that the nerve damage is just sending screwy data to the brain, some nerves tell your brain parts of your body are hot, and some parts are cold. If the Gaba is causing it, I doubt it, but who knows.

Jay

Kitt 02-26-2009 09:44 PM

With CMT your body cannot regulate temperature very well. Just from my perspective.

jarrett622 03-04-2009 12:42 AM

You might want to look it up but I seem to recall that night sweats or hot flash type stuff is a side effect of Gabapentin. I also seem to recall that I had that problem as well when I took it.

nide44 03-04-2009 09:03 AM

diagno...
I don't think its the meds, but it could be a reaction.
The way that gabapentin (Neurontin) works- is for it to be in the bloodstream/body system at full dose 24/7/365.
You are on a starter dose at 900mgs/day, altho it seems that you are only taking it twice (600mgs/day?).
You wouldn't start to see any improvement or effect until you get to 1800-2700mgs/day, again- at timed doses to keep it at a max level 24/7.
If you don't take it as directed it won't work right.
Lifestyle changes are necessary with PN.
It is chronic and will be with you for a very long time.
The question is, how do you not let it impact you negatively, and keep on with your normal activities.
Taking meds as directed is a necessary part of that.

jsrail 03-06-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nide44 (Post 474599)
diagno...
I don't think its the meds, but it could be a reaction.
The way that gabapentin (Neurontin) works- is for it to be in the bloodstream/body system at full dose 24/7/365.
You are on a starter dose at 900mgs/day, altho it seems that you are only taking it twice (600mgs/day?).
You wouldn't start to see any improvement or effect until you get to 1800-2700mgs/day, again- at timed doses to keep it at a max level 24/7.
If you don't take it as directed it won't work right.
Lifestyle changes are necessary with PN.
It is chronic and will be with you for a very long time.
The question is, how do you not let it impact you negatively, and keep on with your normal activities.
Taking meds as directed is a necessary part of that.

Your spot on Bob! You have to take the meds as directed. I have heavy sweating which has only come on in the last 5 months when my SFN spread over my entire body. I have been on 3600mg of Neurontin for about 3 years and never sweated so before, so I doubt that it has anything to do with the meds. I actually thought I might have some male form of menapause! (no offense ladies) My wife hates that I turn the ceiling fan above our bed on and off all night long! But, I wake up 3-4 times a night and have to change my sweaty t-shirt if I can't tunr the fan on when I need it. Fortunately, in AZ, we run ceiling fans most of the year!

Hang in there man!

Jay
Jay