NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Tasmania... Last rescued whale joins pod. (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/79972-tasmania-rescued-whale-joins-pod.html)

Lara 03-05-2009 05:25 AM

Tasmania... Last rescued whale joins pod.

I know this forum is about pets, but I have this deep love for whales so I hope you don't mind my posting this here. I shouldn't ask, as I know it's ok. ;)

From Tasmania, Australia...

Quote:

"The whale was seen to swim toward a group of whales in the area, several of which had been tagged by rescuers two days earlier," he said. Volunteers and rescuers saved 54 pilot whales and five bottlenose dolphins, while 116 whales and two dolphins died in the mass stranding on Naracoopa Beach.

Mr Arthur said it was "one of the largest successful whale rescues in the state's history".

Doody 03-05-2009 09:31 AM

Oh my goodness, thank you. I so much would like to live right next to the ocean. If i were there, most likely I'd be right in there volunteering to save whatever needed to be saved, LOL!

It's incredible what these people do for our sea creatures.

Curious 03-05-2009 09:35 AM

Whew...I thought you adopted a whale Lara. :eek:

:p :hug:

Lara 03-06-2009 06:42 PM

LOL! That comment made my day.
Curious, I would if I could. :D

Koala77 03-07-2009 12:42 AM

Thanks for sharing that story Lara.

Being in Tasmania, it was in our newspapers and on our TV, and it was so good to see that last whale swim away. I also just love the dolphins and it was good to see so many of them saved as well.

For such a small community, the residents and visitors did a wonderful job of saving them all.

Lara 03-07-2009 05:48 AM

I actually thought of you when I was following the rescue. Hey Koala, we're in for some seriously bad weather up here. *fear If it's not one thing it's another, hey.

Save the Whales!!!

Koala77 03-07-2009 06:07 AM

I saw that about your weather! Cyclone Hamish is bound to make it's presence known before too long. Stay safe Lara, and I hope you don't get too much of the accompanying wind and rain.

befuddled2 03-22-2009 01:07 AM

Lara, thanks for the story. I hope all is well after that bad weather that was due your way.

barbara

Lara 03-23-2009 05:37 PM

Thanks Barbara.
It's very nice weather here now. The clean up continues but it's almost done as well.

Our minimum temp. expected today in my area is higher than the maximum temp that Koala is due to get today in Tasmania. Koala, must be time to move a little further north, hey? lol

We have more whales stranded today over in Western Australia.

Surviving whales to be 'herded' out to sea

Quote:

Another attempt will be made today to herd 11 surviving whales that beached themselves at Augusta, south of Perth, out to sea.

More than 80 Long-Finned Pilot Whales were found beached yesterday at Hamelin Bay, 300 kilometres south of Perth.

redtail 03-24-2009 02:07 AM

Hi Lara,

I saw this thismorning, and only a few of the many had survived, I had to switch channels as I knew I would start crying if I kept watching. such magnificent animals lying so helpless is so sad, but seeing all those people helping certainly makes your faith in humanity be a little restored.