NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Service & Support Animals (https://www.neurotalk.org/service-and-support-animals/)
-   -   UPDATE on Bearbear, My Service Dog (https://www.neurotalk.org/service-and-support-animals/80122-update-bearbear-service-dog.html)

CrystalSword 03-06-2009 03:36 PM

UPDATE on Bearbear, My Service Dog

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to update you on my service dog, Bearbear. He broke his leg in November and with it not healing, we had it removed this week, he's been through enough.
He's home resting and healing nicely. No problems getting around.

mrsD 03-06-2009 04:26 PM

How unfortunate!

At least he is small and you can carry him around?

Animals seem to adjust very quickly!

just drea 03-06-2009 05:50 PM

My sweet bearbear

I have been so worried about you and your humans....I hope you are going to feel better very soon!

I am so glad you have a loving , caring home to recuperate from your surgery.

Crystal, I know you are doing the best for Bear...and I have missed you in chat...I hope I catch you there soon!

CrystalSword 03-08-2009 12:59 AM

Saturday Update:

He went four days without hardly eating or drinking, he would lap water from my hand, but not from a bowl. Tonight he actually half drained the water bowl and started eating...we put his food in a treat jar....as long as it came from the jar, in front of him, he'd eat it....he's not spoiled or anything, is he??

Had to put a sweater on him to keep him from scratching the stitches, they get removed in a little over a week. He did scratch one, but he barely nicked it.....just keeping an eye on it....don't need an infection.

He was outside this morning and did his business and he decided to walk up the wheelchair ramp....I was so proud of him, he got to the top and sat down, he was tired! He goes into some re-training next week to regain things he hadn't been using, his hand signals and such....I didn't hardly work him while he was hurt....just very basic stuff.

Drea, he's gonna be fine....soon as he gets out of this funk he's in!!!

Doody 03-09-2009 10:01 AM

Oh that sweet, sweet baby. I'm glad he has you to take care of him.

CrystalSword 03-10-2009 12:35 PM

Thank you!

2 Attachment(s)
Bearbear is gaining strength daily, and now just barely tops five pounds....
how I have waited for him to get that "heavy"!! He's been skinny most of his life, I've been accused of not feeding him but he has always had food where he could get to it. Food and water both.

I've added a couple pictures, the one taken yesterday and the other right after surgery....he's getting back to his old self again!!

At first I wondered if I had done the right thing in having the leg removed, but now I see for sure that I made the right choice for him.

just drea 03-10-2009 06:56 PM

Precious bear

good job ...you are a sweet fur baby and I am so glad you are feeling better! You have a great Mamma taking care of you too!:hug:

Taffy 03-10-2009 07:10 PM

I am happy to hear that Bearbear is doing well. He is a good friend to you!

CrystalSword 03-17-2009 01:47 AM

Final Update!

Bearbear received a clean bill of health today, the stitches were removed and he's doing well. We need sweaters/t-shirts for him so that he can keep warm, they shaved half his hair away for the surgery, if he has a sweater on, he'll sleep comfortably, without one, he'll lay there and shiver....its like a sweater or other garment is his security "blanket".

He had a bath late this afternoon and he just stood in the tub and closed his eyes as the warm water flowed over him. I use tearless puppy shampoo because both dogs are so sensitive to some shampoos....they seem to like this one better than others.

Tomorrow I will let both dogs out together, its been almost 4 months since they've been allowed to play and be the loving brother and sister that they are. We'll just have to watch that Munchkin doesn't get too rough!

Doody 03-17-2009 06:10 PM

Awww, bless his little heart! I'm so glad he got a clean bill of health. I know too well what a shiverin pootz is like! My weinie just shivers at the slightest cool breeze, lol!

You are SUCH a good mommy. :hug: