NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Shoes (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/80297-shoes.html)

Doxie 03-08-2009 12:28 PM

Shoes

At the same time I was diagnosed with PN (and some other bothersome conditions), my husband and I moved from the family nest to a warmer climate. Therefore, it made it very easy to get into the habit of going barefoot at home most of the time and always when the ole' footsies are burning.

Even though I am going through a troublesome time with the PN right now, I am still excercising and walking as much as I can. I wear sandals only.

Is there a great shoe for neuropathy that doesn't kill the toes???

THX,
Doxie

FlyingDutchWoman 03-08-2009 12:49 PM

Yes. Size 46 :cool:

sadfeet 03-08-2009 12:55 PM

shoes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doxie (Post 477180)
At the same time I was diagnosed with PN (and some other bothersome conditions), my husband and I moved from the family nest to a warmer climate. Therefore, it made it very easy to get into the habit of going barefoot at home most of the time and always when the ole' footsies are burning.

Even though I am going through a troublesome time with the PN right now, I am still excercising and walking as much as I can. I wear sandals only.

Is there a great shoe for neuropathy that doesn't kill the toes???

THX,
Doxie

I like Birkenstocks and new Balance

Kitt 03-08-2009 04:14 PM

SAS is another one.

jakatak 03-08-2009 05:26 PM

Birks are the best....I even wear the in the winter. Because of their width, NB are very good tennis shoes. (Sneakers for those out east.)

Augie 03-08-2009 06:11 PM

shoes

I've had painful PN for five years and, through a process of trial and error, wear only Rockport World Tour Classics (wide). I'm a man, but they make them for women too (I made a mistake in ordering and got a female set once). You can buy them on line at places like On Line Shoes. You can look on the On Line Shoes website to see if they reach your standards of style! I wear Dr. Scholz padded insoles too. Good luck!

Raglet 03-09-2009 02:41 AM

I wear teva sandals and chaco sandals in the summer. In the winter I wear new balance, asics plus I have recently bought some incredibly ugly but oh so comfortable Instride shoes made specifically for diabetics. I am not diabetic, but due to my motor neuropathy I wear AFO's (braces that go into my shoes and continue up to just below the knee) so they have to be factored into footware choices for me.

Instrides are fabulous because they have no seams at all inside (nothing nasty to rub your foot), and they each come with three innersoles of different sizes so if you have orthotics you can remove some or all of them and your shoe will actually be comfortable instead of squeezing the heck out of you because of the orthotic. They are designed for diabetics, who have a lot of the same problems as I do (numbness, PN, etc etc). I just getting over an infection on my leg which I didn't notice as it developed, caused by my orthotic rubbing. I continued wearing the orthotic as I hadn't made the connection between the infection and the orthotic, and of course I don't feel the rubbing. This makes seamless shoes absolutely wonderful for me as it helps eliminate anything that might damage my skin (I know, I should check my feet and legs every day - my bad, I forget).

I think that instride shoes will be my basics from here on - sandals don't really work as they don't hold my AFO's well

if anyone wants to check them out, here is a link to them

http://www.instrideshoes.com/

nide44 03-09-2009 08:45 AM

New Balance 'Walkers' #574 in the lace or velcro (I prefer velcro),
have a large box toe area and are very comfy.
Also enough room to put in gel inserts.