NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/)
-   -   What to use instead of breadcrumbs. (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/80589-instead-breadcrumbs.html)

MelodyL 03-09-2009 09:15 PM

What to use instead of breadcrumbs.

Hi all.

I have a friend who heard about my recipe for sprout patties and wants to try making them....only she can't use any grains. I myself use breadcrumbs added to the mixture when I make my patties.

So what do you use instead of breadcrumbs when you wish to bread something? What are your grain substitutes. She can't use nuts either.

Thanks much

Melody

Lara 03-09-2009 09:53 PM

Hi Melody,
Can she eat rice?

Should be able to buy rice crumbs or herb and rice crumbs. Shops that have kosher food here will often have them as well as the health food stores.

EDITED to add:
I just did some searching in the forum here. If your friend has a bread machine or even if she doesn't she could make her own bread and make the crumbs that way.
http://www.glutenevolution.com/products.html#cornfree
neat site.

MelodyL 03-10-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 478284)
Hi Melody,
Can she eat rice?

Should be able to buy rice crumbs or herb and rice crumbs. Shops that have kosher food here will often have them as well as the health food stores.

EDITED to add:
I just did some searching in the forum here. If your friend has a bread machine or even if she doesn't she could make her own bread and make the crumbs that way.
http://www.glutenevolution.com/products.html#cornfree
neat site.

Hi.

I shall ask her about the rice (and I thank you very much).

Now here's my confusing question of the day.

Even if she had her own bread machine, she can't eat grains so what is she using to make the bread? (Rice?? really?)

thanks much

Melody

MooseasaurusRex 03-10-2009 08:34 AM

Not trying to be a wise guy, but "What to do instead of breadcrumbs" would make a great title to a self help book.

Seriously. That's what I thought of when I read the title of this thread. Remember? Hansel and Gretel hoping to leave markers to get out of the woods?

*ahem. :o Yeah, I love meatloaf. :ox2

Lara 03-10-2009 08:50 AM

Melody,
Well, the site I posted has pre-packaged bread making products. In each and every product they say what it is made from... e.g.

"Pumpkin Bread Ingredients:

Crystallized honey, tapioca flour, arrowroot, chickpea flour, pinto bean flour, navy bean flour, potato starch, millet, Montina™ (perennial bunch grass, achnatherum hymnodies), maple sugar, cinnamon, ginger, clove, nutmeg, xanthan gum, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt."

They have many different types...

Quote:

Gluten, Corn, Dairy, Soy, Nut and Rice Free
GMO Free

Gluten, Soy, Nut and Rice Free

Gluten, Yeast, Corn, Dairy, Soy, Nut and Rice Free
GMO Free (All-Purpose Flour Blend)

Gluten, Yeast, Corn, Dairy, Soy, Nut and Rice Free
GMO Free
Depends on exactly what she can eat, Melody. If she's able to eat rice than I'm sure the rice crumb products in the shops would be just fine.

mrsD 03-10-2009 09:27 AM

many health food stores sell gluten free crackers.

You can just crunch those up.

I assume by "no grains" she means gluten free?

Buckwheat is also allowed on the gluten free diet.

MelodyL 03-10-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 478539)
many health food stores sell gluten free crackers.

You can just crunch those up.

Buckwheat is also allowed on the gluten free diet.

Wow, thanks to you all for all the great information. And yes Moose, that would be a great title for a book. Reminds me of when I was in my local drugstore and I was commenting on what I knew about diabetes and someone overheard me and asked me "How do you know these things?" and I simply said: "Oh, I know a lot of ***** about things". And she burst out laughing and said"

"NOW THAT WOULD BE A COOL TITLE FOR A BOOK"

I'm going to pass all of this info to my friend.

She has to be able to use SOMETHING instead of breadcrumbs.

Thanks again

Melody

darlindeb25 03-10-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

No, when one of us (celiac/gluten intolerant) say no grains, that means no grains. I do not eat any grains, no wheat, no rye, no barley, no oats, no soy, no rice, no corn, nor anything similiar too them. Gluten and soy, give me the same reaction, corn and rice constipate me and also cause me to break out in a nasty red rash. I have been gluten free for nearly 8 yrs, grain free for over a year now, and before that for maybe 2 yrs, the only rice I had was a rice cake.

For some odd reason, I can eat Glutino's Pretzel, they contain rice and potato startch, no flours. They are even better than regular pretzels.

JustWeave 03-11-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlindeb25 (Post 479060)
No, when one of us (celiac/gluten intolerant) say no grains, that means no grains. I do not eat any grains, no wheat, no rye, no barley, no oats, no soy, no rice, no corn, nor anything similiar too them.

I have to respectfully disagree on this one. There is a big difference between gluten free and grain free. I am celiac and follow a gluten free diet. The only things I need to avoid are wheat, barley, rye and oats. I can eat any other grain I want. Sounds like Deb is sensitive to more than just gluten. :hug: That means she is more than just celiac. A lot of people who can't eat gluten must avoid other foods too. So far my only problem is gluten. My heart goes out to those who are more than just celiac. Going GF is hard enough without having to avoid even more foods.

Oh and most of the gluten free breads I've had are made with mostly rice flour. Seriously. :D Often it is a blend of flours with rice (white or brown) being the main one and others added for better flavor and texture. Sorghum, tapioca, and potato are just some of the other flours I can think of off the top of my not quite awake head. It boggles my mind all the different kinds of flours there are out there.

MelodyL 03-11-2009 08:46 AM

I remember (YEARS AGO, LIKE 45 or so, when I began to have weight problems (I used to self-medicate with foods so I could deal with a very over-bearing mother), and she couldn't stand the way I looked so she took me to a diet doctor.

He looked at me disgustingly and said "get on the scale I want to vomit". (never forgot that conversation). Anyway, I will remember what he said if I live to be 100).

he said "go to the store and buy Gluten Bread".

I had never heard of Gluten Bread, I thought "bread was bread", so I said "what is Gluten Bread?" He didn't answer, he spoke to my mother.

So off we went to various grocery stores and then we found a package of GLUTEN BREAD.

I remember my mother slicing it and I put margarine or some spread on it. I don't remember if I toasted it but I DO REMEMBER it was very doughy. It was not packaged sliced. It was a whole loaf of read.

While it didn't taste like regular bread, I remember it was okay. I can see myself putting it in my mouth as I am typing this post.

Imagine, remembering such a thing 45 years later.

I must have some great olfactory sense thing going on.

And I always wondered why Gluten Bread was ordered for someone who had to lose 50 pounds.

Melody