NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Natasha Richardson brain injured in ski accident (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/81523-natasha-richardson-brain-injured-ski-accident.html)

Dejibo 03-17-2009 06:50 PM

Natasha Richardson brain injured in ski accident

Natasha richardson is being brought back to NYC area to be pulled from life support. She is married to Liam Neison, and daughter of vanessa redgrave. She was on the bunny slope taking a ski lesson in canada, and fell hitting her head. She refused medical help, and an hour later was in horrible pain, admitted to a hospital and has just been pronounced brain dead. Her family is gathering in NYC. New York is awesome for medical care, but this is so tragic.

She played in many movies. I am sure its all over the news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natasha_Richardson

Curious 03-17-2009 06:54 PM

I couldn't find that she is brain dead. All the reports I have read, said head injury and no details.

Was this on TV Dej?

Koala77 03-17-2009 06:56 PM

It was just on TV here and I think they said it was "thought" that she was brain dead. I took that as the media think it, but they also said they were transferring her to a different hospital for possible surgery, and if she was already brain dead, then that didn't make sense.

I wasn't listening very well, so I may have got it wrong.

Koala77 03-17-2009 07:43 PM

Update

I just watched this report on TV again, and this time I took notice.

There are conflicting reports between TV stations and other reporters, but the one I just saw said she is sedated and has brain swelling.

They also said she had been transferred to a hosptital in NY, but again that report is not verified. Some reporters say it was so her family could say their goodbyes, others that she's been transferred for brain surgery.

I guess we just have to wait until we hear the truth, possibly from a family member.

Erin524 03-17-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejibo (Post 482623)
Natasha richardson is being brought back to NYC area to be pulled from life support. She is married to Liam Neison, and daughter of vanessa redgrave. She was on the bunny slope taking a ski lesson in canada, and fell hitting her head. She refused medical help, and an hour later was in horrible pain, admitted to a hospital and has just been pronounced brain dead. Her family is gathering in NYC. New York is awesome for medical care, but this is so tragic.

She played in many movies. I am sure its all over the news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natasha_Richardson

The reports that I read said that she went with the ski instructor to see the doctor at the hotel, and it was while she was there that she started to get the headache and they called the ambulance to take her to the hospital and it went bad from there.

My dad is a nurse anesthetist. He said head injuries always scare him the most because you can appear to be fine, while your brain is bleeding and is about to kill you.

I had a LOT of head injuries as a child. It is so easy to get a serious head injury just from falling down. (got a concussion tripping over a toddler on roller skates at a skating rink when I was 13. Worse pain than a migraine!) Everytime I've had a head injury (I think my record now is 4 or 5 concussions...the skating injury was the worst. I hit polyurethane coated concrete with the back of my head so hard it bounced twice, and I was knocked out for about 2 minutes. Owwww!)

I feel bad that she's probably brain dead. (some news reports are still saying she's just in serious condition and not brain dead. I guess the news reports will update by tomorrow with the whole story)

I just recently saw the movie The Parent Trap that she was in with Dennis Quaid. (missed it the first time around) I really liked her character in that movie, and I saw the movie Nell that she was in with Liam Neeson back in the early 90s. She's a wonderful actress. I'm using my tivo to look her name up to see if she has any movies on cable this month.

I feel bad for Liam Neeson too. He's one of my favorite actors (I've got Batman Begins playing right now...I loved him in that movie!) It looked like they had a rare type of marriage for movie stars. (it was successful! And they have two boys.) They've been together since 1994, and I think it's horrible he's losing her so soon.

ewizabeth 03-18-2009 12:18 AM

I hope the reports are wrong and that she'll recover. What a freak accident! On the bunny slope and with an instructor at that! I guess anything can happen, anywhere. :(

Erin524 03-18-2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewizabeth (Post 482791)
I hope the reports are wrong and that she'll recover. What a freak accident! On the bunny slope and with an instructor at that! I guess anything can happen, anywhere. :(

I agree. I hope the news is wrong.

I dont usually care much about famous people, but she seems to be a perfectly normal person. Not a "wacko celebrity". Liam Neeson too, seems like a normal guy that just happens to be a famous actor. I hope they have a happy ending. (well, maybe not an "ending", but something happy happens for them)

Thumper2 03-18-2009 04:43 AM

Fox News is saying she's being flow to NY to be taken off life support. I hope it's a wrong report and she pulls through. :hug:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509586,00.html

Curious 03-18-2009 05:00 AM

It still says, speculating.....

But they wouldn't be letting someone with a head injury fly. She would have to be stable..no brain swelling. So it does seem that they don't expect her to recover. :(

My prayers for her and her family.

Kitty 03-18-2009 06:39 AM

Very sad. :( GMA had a report on it this morning. I'm praying for her and her family.