NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Cervical Spine Surgery (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/82026-cervical-spine-surgery.html)

Risby 03-21-2009 06:57 AM

Cervical Spine Surgery

I had a cervical disc fusion on St Patricks Day and I now sit here with my hard cervical collar on trying to type.
The surgery has relieved the pins & needles in my left hand and the hand is already stronger.
The pain from the incision is minimal but the c-collar is a pain in the **** and I have to wear it for 2 more weeks!! YIKES!:hissyfit:

Of course being a nurse, I had minor complications post op. I had a raging asthma attack[never had asthma before] and bronchospasm in recovery room, which necessitated a stay in the ICU....... which gave my DH a few more grey hairs.
My wonderful sister in law is here helping her big brother stay sane and waiting on me hand & foot. I don't want her to ever leave!!

So I guess I will be spending more time on the computer cause I can't do much of anything else.

Kitty 03-21-2009 08:06 AM

Aw, Risby, I'm sorry you've got to wear that contraption for two more weeks. Hopefully it'll go by quickly. It's so sweet of your SIL to come and help. Maybe she'll stay for a while till you get back on your feet.

Gentle hugs..........:hug:

AfterMyNap 03-21-2009 12:23 PM

So, the surgery was successful, Ris? Good deal, let's hope your recovery is fast and successful as well.

Hey, you could decorate your collar, maybe some major bling? A fake tattoo? A portrait of DM? ;)

DM 03-21-2009 01:22 PM

Hey Risby! Glad your surgery is over and that your'e mending. Those collars always look so uncomfortable, so you've just confirmed it. Hey, your'e lucky you like your SIL and want her to stay. I never want my SIL to come.

Hope you continue to heal and glad we'll be seeing more of you around here.

ewizabeth 03-21-2009 01:26 PM

Thank God for modern medicine! :) I hope you'll be better than new in no time.

My nephew in law had cervical surgery a few years ago. His arm was going numb from a pinched nerve. Now it's like he's good as new, playing basketball, riding his bike, etc... And he's in his 40's.

He's 6'7" tall and had been driving a small car that had him slouched over too much.

I hope the next two weeks will go quickly for you!

SallyC 03-21-2009 01:28 PM

:circlelove:((((((((((((Risby)))))))))))))

NurseNancy 03-21-2009 02:47 PM

i'm glad your surgery was successful.
isn't that always the case? that if you're a nurse something "happens".

i'm a NICU RN but had to retire with my MS. well, i wish i could retire my MS but you know what i mean. :D

get well soon.

Risby 03-22-2009 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseNancy (Post 484662)
i'm glad your surgery was successful.
isn't that always the case? that if you're a nurse something "happens".

i'm a NICU RN but had to retire with my MS. well, i wish i could retire my MS but you know what i mean. :D

get well soon.

Nurse Nancy
I was a telemetry nurse and also had to retire due to my MS. I was pretty sure I would have some problem as DH is a CRNA and with me being an RN I was tempting the fates!! Luckily it was a relatively minor complication.

Dejibo 03-22-2009 07:47 AM

:hug: :icecream: treat yourself. Feel better quick!

whispers 03-22-2009 08:42 AM

I am glad that the surgery was a success. It is too bad that you had to 'visit' the ICU. Super glad that your sister-in-law is there helping you hand and foot.:)

It is too bad that you have to wear a collar:eek: That is not comfortable, I am sure. Two weeks will go by fast if you stay at the computer. You might even finish 'playing catch-up...'

Be sure NOT to use the trampoline or anything like that!:trampoline::yikes: