NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   sore back from LP? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/82100-sore-lp.html)

jprinz99 03-22-2009 11:08 AM

sore back from LP?

I had an LP Friday. Yes, I got a wicked headache but it isn't so bad now. Have upped the liquids and caffiene and am eating Tylenol.

My question is did any of you have a painful back as a result of the LP? It seems that the more I sit up or move about the tighter and painful it gets. I can't spend my life laying in bed. Tips please

Thanks
PS How long for results? The radiologist said a few weeks!!! Yikes.

DM 03-22-2009 03:33 PM

Hey Janie! I consider myself lucky when I had my LP, as I didn't get a headache at all. I pushed the caffeine and laid around for a day. My site area and back were tender for a few days, but basically I didn't have much trouble. I know others' have had a rough time w/them though. Hope your'e up and about soon; I can't stand laying in bed either.

Take care.

Riverwild 03-22-2009 04:23 PM

I had pain after the one I had, not from an LP headache but from the fact that the doc went fishin' in my back. I swear he was tugging on my organs! He finally got the CSF on the fifth try!

I did the lay flat for 24 hours. The pain from all the jabs and the organ tugging lasted longer than I laid down, but it was over in a few days.

The results did take a few weeks to come back.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

legzzalot 03-22-2009 05:59 PM

I didn't get the headache until 2 days later. It was horrible. My back was sore for about a week after. My doc was fishing in there too.

Kept hitting the nerve that goes to my hip causing my leg to jump and then kept telling me to be still. I don't remember how long it took to get the results.

NurseNancy 03-22-2009 06:24 PM

hi jane,

sorry you're having a rough time.
keep resting as long as you have to to decrease the sx's.
and, stay hydrated.
i'd call your dr if you're not better.

and, watch that you don't take over the recommended dose of tylenol.
toxicity and liver damage can ensue.

jprinz99 03-23-2009 07:13 AM

:o:oThanks all. Back is a bit better but now have a headache in a huge way. Sitting up jut to check this post is killing me. Am getting a big glass of apple juice and heading to bed - this is horrible! I can't iagine this lasting very long as I may have to hurt someone...

soxmom 03-23-2009 07:44 AM

feel better jane:hug:

MooseasaurusRex 03-24-2009 10:54 PM

Yikes.

Sorry you're in pain beautiful. Don't remember hurting that much after mine.

I would quiz my doc if it continues and yes it took a few weeks to get the results.

dmplaura 03-24-2009 11:05 PM

Mine wasn't painful in the back, but I overexerted myself the day of/after (was in the process of selling my house) and ended up in the ER the following day on IV for the spinal headache (worst headache I have ever experienced).

jprinz99 04-05-2009 03:54 PM

a follow up-
4 days post LP my husband calle neuro as I was getting progessively worse to the point I was voiting from the headache and could not sit up without y vision getting affected. I finally started to cry. They rushed me in for blood patch procedures.

We all discovered something interesting (well, at least to me): since I ambulate with crutches I use a lot of upper body movement/force. This caused the "hole" to not heal and in fact got larger over the next few days. I was leaking like a collander. As the radiologist said "my tank was really low". Used 3 or 4 vials to seal off hole and was put on strict bedrest for 48-36 hours to not disturb clot. I will say the blood patch is an odd procedure:o

Am feeling much better now. Back is a bit sore but headache is gone, etc. The end result is they are bringing it up in next M&M to advise other docs who order this on mobility impared folks who need a LP to try and avoid anyone else from this effect.

Thanks all for you info and compassion!