NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   B Vitamin Suppliments and nausea? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/84023-vitamin-suppliments-nausea.html)

TallDoode 04-12-2009 01:35 PM

B Vitamin Suppliments and nausea?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else experienced nausea with you B and Folic suppliments? I started taking a B multi-vitamin about three weeks ago and have been sick to my stomach ever since. Feel a bit better after I eat. Problem is that about that same time I dropped to 10mg Prednisone (and am now down to 5mg) so it could also be Pred withdrawal causing the stomach upset. I did switch to a non-multi suppliment so now I take sublingual B12 (changed from Cyanocobalamin to Methylcobalamin) at 2000mcu per day, a B6 (800) and a Folic separate and still am sick. So not sure if it is the B/Folic or the Pred so wanted to see if anyone else had stomach upset on the B.

Oh, I should mention that I am sick to my stomach in the morning before I take the suppliments so I am probably barking up the wrong "what is making me sick" tree... but wanted to check.

Thanks,

dave

mrsD 04-12-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallDoode (Post 494802)
Hi everyone,

Has anyone else experienced nausea with you B and Folic suppliments? I started taking a B multi-vitamin about three weeks ago and have been sick to my stomach ever since. Feel a bit better after I eat. Problem is that about that same time I dropped to 10mg Prednisone (and am now down to 5mg) so it could also be Pred withdrawal causing the stomach upset. I did switch to a non-multi suppliment so now I take sublingual B12 (changed from Cyanocobalamin to Methylcobalamin) at 2000mcu per day, a B6 (800) and a Folic separate and still am sick. So not sure if it is the B/Folic or the Pred so wanted to see if anyone else had stomach upset on the B.

Oh, I should mention that I am sick to my stomach in the morning before I take the suppliments so I am probably barking up the wrong "what is making me sick" tree... but wanted to check.

Thanks,

dave

A few observations:

1) Prednisone can cause gastritis and ulcers. Could be the Pred.

2) 800mg of B6? This is way too much. Is this a mistake, a typo? 50mg is enough of this daily.

Some people get reflux or heartburn from high dose B-complex.
If you take your B12 separately, take it alone on the empty stomach. It has no negative effects. Then take the other Bs after a meal, preferably early in the day (they energize some people).

Many people on prednisone develop gastric irritations. It is best to get that checked out by a doctor.

pabb 04-12-2009 05:40 PM

another B complex nauseated person reporting in.....take with/after a meal;
problem fixed.....good luck

TallDoode 04-12-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 494807)
A few observations:

2) 800mg of B6? This is way too much. Is this a mistake, a typo? 50mg is enough of this daily.

Some people get reflux or heartburn from high dose B-complex.
If you take your B12 separately, take it alone on the empty stomach. It has no negative effects. Then take the other Bs after a meal, preferably early in the day (they energize some people).

The B-6 I am taking is 500mg, not 800mg. The vitamin store I went to only had 100, 500 and 800mg. I went for the middle :-). The multi-stress B-Complex I was taking had 100mg of B6. But you are saying that 50mg is enough? Will 500mg hurt me? The B12, B6 and Folic seem to be helping my feet so I plan to keep taking them but do need to try and get the dosages correct so would love to hear your advice. What about the Folic?.

Thanks!

dave

mrsD 04-12-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallDoode (Post 494873)
The B-6 I am taking is 500mg, not 800mg. The vitamin store I went to only had 100, 500 and 800mg. I went for the middle :-). The multi-stress B-Complex I was taking had 100mg of B6. But you are saying that 50mg is enough? Will 500mg hurt me? The B12, B6 and Folic seem to be helping my feet so I plan to keep taking them but do need to try and get the dosages correct so would love to hear your advice. What about the Folic?.

Thanks!

dave

Over time yes, 800mg of B6 may certainly hurt you! A few doses would not.

800mcg of folic acid is usually enough once a day for most people. If you take any drugs that deplete folate then twice a day is okay to take. Our FDA still has the RX requirement for 1mg and above. Some feel this is unrealistic.

50mg of B6 daily.

Some people cannot methylate folic acid, so there is another form called MetaFolin (by Solgar).
If you are getting results, you don't need to change. But people who take folate and don't see improvement switching to the MetaFolin would be a good idea.

mrsD 04-12-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabb (Post 494862)
another B complex nauseated person reporting in.....take with/after a meal;
problem fixed.....good luck

Yes, my son reacts this way too. I used to have to break his in half. And always give with food.

Once you get going and are feeling much better, sometimes you can reduce the dose you are using, or at least reduce to every other day. Some people can, and others not. Depends on your own chemistry and why you got low in the first place. Some people are always low, and others fix the problem and then a lower dose prevents another dip with the resulting neuro symptoms returning.