NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Those who frequent hotels, need help!!!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/84247-frequent-hotels-help.html)

SandyC 04-15-2009 12:08 PM

Those who frequent hotels, need help!!!!

OK, so the current bed bug outbreak has me itching before I even get to a hotel. What do you do to keep the bugs or whatever getting anywhere near you? Gosh, I never thought I'd have to go beyond bleaching the whole room.

Yep, I come armed with bleach cleaner and my own wipes and air spray. lol

I plan to bring my own sheets, pillows and cover. BUT, that wont keep the bed bugs off if they are in the mattress! :eek: Plus, I plan to throw away these sheets and pillows so I don't bring anything home.

Anyone have advice on what they do? Is there a spray to kill anything on the bed if there is anything on the bed? I don't care of I don't see anything I am still freaking out about it. We're planning several hotel visits this year. :eek:

Thanks ahead of time!

Kitty 04-15-2009 12:31 PM

Here's what I'd do. I'd buy a rubber mattress cover (the kind you'd put on a mattress to protect it from a bed-wetter). Strip the hotel bed and put the mattress protector on. After that I'd then put my own mattress pad and sheets. The rubber mattress protector should keep any bugs that are in the mattress where they are. I'd get housekeeping to take their sheets, pillows and bedspread out of the room ASAP to get rid of any unseen bedbugs.

If you've got a hand held vacuum you could vacuum the mattress well before you put the protector on it. Spray it with Lysol, too, for extra protection. Sounds extreme but I'm like you.....I'd just about rather sleep in the car than in a hotel bed! :o

** BTW...I don't frequent hotels in case anyone was wondering!! :p **

Chemar 04-15-2009 12:37 PM

bedbugs are said to hate cloves and cinnamon

I make up sachets of crushed whole cloves and cinnamon sticks. laddered stockings/pantyhose are great for making the sachets.

I keep these in clothes drawers and closets too as they seem to keep most bugs away. Nice smell as well :)

SandyC 04-15-2009 12:46 PM

Thanks! I like the idea of the plastic cover. But from what I read they also hide in carpet, baseboards, nightstands, etc. I also heard if they cannot get to you they will literally crawl up the wall so they can drop down on their host! :yikes: How did they get so smart?

I am buying the cloves and cinnamon later this week! Shoot I'll wear pantyhose stuffed with it! LOL

Keep the ideas coming!

AfterMyNap 04-15-2009 01:08 PM

Stay at a better place. I like Holiday Inn Express, they almost always have great housekeeping and they wash everything (ALL the bedding, etc.) fresh for every cleaning.

Fairfield Inns are good (part of the Marriot group), and I'm also partial to DoubleTree or Candlewood. I've never had bugs (except at the Toad Hollow Country Inn & Suites).

Kitt 04-15-2009 01:21 PM

Bedbugs

Bedbugs hide behind pictures, behind the headboard, in the carpet, in upholstered chairs and in the mattresses, on the luggage rack, on the luggage rack deal that you can use to bring your luggage in. A rubber type mattress cover is a good idea but bedbugs are everywhere.

Last fall when we stayed in motels, I was always looking and trying to see if they were there. I was not comfortable at all. There is no spray that you can get that will kill them. The EPA pulled many of the chemicals that were most effective in getting rid of them. Bedbugs have also developed a resistance to pesticides because those chemicals are still in use in other countries.

There are few chemicals on the market that are even approved for use on mattresses and furniture, etc. It's the biggest bedbug outbreak since World War II. The problem has increased greatly in the past number of years due to foreign travel.

Also, you would be surprised what other kinds of things you can find on bedspreads, walls, sinks, toilets and the like in motels. Scary:eek:

Our solution will be to go back to an RV. At least we should have peace and quiet in our own place. I just refuse to stay in a motel/hotel anymore. You aren't totally safe in a better motel/hotel either from any of it. You don't have to be poor to have bedbugs or have an unclean house either. It's who brings them in. Cockroaches would be another wonderful one to have brought into your house :(

Kitty 04-15-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 496154)
I am buying the cloves and cinnamon later this week! Shoot I'll wear pantyhose stuffed with it! LOL

Keep the ideas coming!

You could wear them like a necklace.......sort of like garlic to repel vampires!

You can also ask to see the pest control inspection report for the hotel. That way, if there is a problem at least you're aware of it beforehand.

SandyC 04-15-2009 01:30 PM

Kitty, that's what I plan to do and I will have something in writing. It's the joy of going to a town you have no idea what is the best place to stay.
LOL I told Jim I was going to wrap his chair in pantyhose, cinnamon and clover and then sing a rendition of Crimson and Clover to him!

Cindy, I wanted to stay at Holiday Express but get this, it was shut down by the feds! The only other chains available are the Ramada and Best Western. The Ramada looks like the best one. No smoking but hey I need the exercise and can go outside. haha

I could stay at the Louisville Holiday Express which is only 17 miles from Shelbyville but Trip Adviser gave bad ratings for it. *sigh*

We are staying at the Holiday Express in Indianapolis with my cousin who's racing in May. Wish us luck!

SandyC 04-15-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 496165)

Our solution will be to go back to an RV. At least we should have peace and quiet in our own place. I just refuse to stay in a motel/hotel anymore. :(

I can only wish. We can't afford a RV but the dream is nice. A wheelchair accessible RV is quite expensive not to mention the gas cost.
*sigh*

Kitt 04-15-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 496176)
I can only wish. We can't afford a RV but the dream is nice. A wheelchair accessible RV is quite expensive not to mention the gas cost.
*sigh*

It won't be a new one but a very carefully examined used one. That means everything in it not just looking for bugs.

We don't need a wheelchair accessible one so no worry there.

We would be looking at a camping trailer, not long and huge or a lot of money. The gas cost isn't that much for the pickup we have. For a big RV, yes it is a factor. But, that's not the route we are taking. Over the years, we have had about every kind of RV, from motorhome to Class C to trailers out there, except a tent trailer. And the only new RV was a pickup camper. Wish I still could get into the bed in that easily but not safe anymore.

clouds z 04-20-2009 12:53 AM

apple cider vinegar?

i dont travel

i had tons of cockroaches in my seattle apartment

when the light was off theyd come out more-those were the days-then i bought roachproof

i used to travel for a day or two and stand outside at 3am in 20 degree cold and lay on a sidewalk for a few hours or walk around all night-that was hell

sometimes id stay at my brothers

ive stayed in some trashy hotels in portland oregon

i bet theyr all gone now

NurseNancy 04-20-2009 10:34 PM

i agree with staying at a better place but who ever knows?
maybe call the BBB in that area?
and you're right about them living anywhere. i read that too.

you can rent RV's but probably too expensive.
when do you go?

SandyC 04-21-2009 10:51 AM

We leave at the end of May. We'll be staying in Indianapolis, IN and then Shelbyville, KY. I am researching and going to ask the hotels directly. I am bringing everything you guys are telling me too!

lor 04-21-2009 03:21 PM

You can indeed rent RVs.

SandyC 04-21-2009 03:34 PM

Yes you can but they are expensive to rent not to mention gas money. Oh, and we need a wheelchair accessible one. lol Yeah, we're staying in a hotel.

Kitty 04-21-2009 03:43 PM

One thing you could do is get one of those air-beds (the kind you inflate to the firmness of your choice) and put it on top of the hotel mattress. You could just inflate it about half way so that it's not too tall. It might not be the most comfortable but if it's just for a couple of nights it might be worth it. At least you wouldn't be laying directly on the hotel mattress. After the trip you could use the inflatable mattress at home for guests.

I bought one and it's really quite comfortable. The one I bought is inflated by an electric pump and takes about 1 minute.

Just a thought.........

Kitt 04-21-2009 04:20 PM

We bought one of those inflatable air mattresses. It also has a pump right in it so that when it loses some air in the night, you can just reach and it pumps up again.

We used it a time or two at our daughter's place. We thought it would be ideal. It probably is for someone who is more able than I am. And it's probably more comfortable if you are sleeping alone. We grew to hate it as it was hard for me to get up and off of it. When you sit on the edge of it to get up it like goes down some. It even said that in the directions - not to sit on the edge of it. This wasn't a cheapy either.

It is pretty thick but it still is way too low for me to get off of comfortably. It is about 17" high or so. I almost have to be pulled up and off so I don't screw my back up. They do have stands to put them on but I found that they aren't make for a queen size one.

I'm thinking one wouldn't work that well on a bed either. You probably would be too high and anyway the bugs would get to you:eek: JMO

SandyC 04-21-2009 04:21 PM

I had one you could blow up with a hair dryer. Kitt your right, the only problem with an air mattress is those critters can crawl and drop on you. *sigh*

Kitt 04-21-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 499369)
I had one you could blow up with a haor dryer. Kitt your right, the only problem with an air mattress is those critters can crawl and drop on you. *sigh*

Yes they can:Zzzz::Hum::yikes:

Twinkletoes 04-24-2009 08:00 PM

I remember hearing of a kit you could use to get rid of bedbugs. It included a little vaccum so you could get the seams of the mattress. But of course I can't remember what it was called...sorry!

I did find this link, though: http://bedbugregistry.com/

SandyC 04-25-2009 11:09 AM

So far the hotels in Shelbyville have no bed bug reports! Thanks Twinks!

DiMarie 04-25-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 496139)
OK, so the current bed bug outbreak has me itching before I even get to a hotel. What do you do to keep the bugs or whatever getting anywhere near you? Gosh, I never thought I'd have to go beyond bleaching the whole room.

Yep, I come armed with bleach cleaner and my own wipes and air spray. lol

I plan to bring my own sheets, pillows and cover. BUT, that wont keep the bed bugs off if they are in the mattress! :eek: Plus, I plan to throw away these sheets and pillows so I don't bring anything home.

Anyone have advice on what they do? Is there a spray to kill anything on the bed if there is anything on the bed? I don't care of I don't see anything I am still freaking out about it. We're planning several hotel visits this year. :eek:

Thanks ahead of time!

If you contact the hotel ahead to tell them you have hyperallergenic problems they do a deep power clean.
The one thing is, you can see bed bugs in the seams on the mattress cracks, I would not sleep in it.
Also, if you are near sand, like a beach or Disney resorts that have sand beaches those sites carry a sand flea that bites and people mistake the bites for bed bugs.
Di

SandyC 04-25-2009 11:24 AM

Oh don't worry. If I see a bed bug I am so out of there! lol

Kitt 04-25-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 501041)
Oh don't worry. If I see a bed bug I am so out of there! lol

You should be fine:) Hopefully anyway - no you should be fine:D

SandyC 04-25-2009 11:49 AM

LOL Thanks Kitt! LOL

Kitt 04-25-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiMarie (Post 501038)
If you contact the hotel ahead to tell them you have hyperallergenic problems they do a deep power clean.
The one thing is, you can see bed bugs in the seams on the mattress cracks, I would not sleep in it.
Also, if you are near sand, like a beach or Disney resorts that have sand beaches those sites carry a sand flea that bites and people mistake the bites for bed bugs.
Di

Sand fleas oh yes. And when I was in TX, I got bites from chiggers that were on the lawn:eek: Boy, did they ever itch:yikes:

Bed bug bites don't itch unless you are allergic to that kind of thing.

SandyC 04-25-2009 11:57 AM

That's what I heard too and you don't even feel it until days later in some cases. The closest I ever came to a bug in my bed was at a Best Western in TN. The bug was one of those night bugs that look like a roach. That thing was HUGE!!!! It ran across the bed and I freaked the heck out. I immediately pulled all the sheets up after checking for more bugs and slept without them touching the floor. LOL It came in our door while we were bringing our stuff in.

lor 04-25-2009 02:34 PM

Sandy, All the sudden we started find cockroaches in our basement years ago. Turns out they came in inside the new furnace that was just put in.