NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Lidocaine IV infusion? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/85189-lidocaine-iv-infusion.html)

daniella 04-23-2009 06:59 AM

Lidocaine IV infusion?

I am going to post this here and on PN so if that is not ok I understand and you can delete one. I have RSD and PN as of now but they are still looking more into figuring this out. Anyhow my new pain doctor set out a treatment course starting with the lidocaine IV infusion which I think is a few hours at the hospital and then possibly oral. We are trying to do a few more less invasive things before the temp scs which is a possibility as well. Anyhow can anyone tell me how they responded to the iv and what relief if any,for how long,and side effects?Thank you

Jimking 04-23-2009 09:24 AM

My wife received a one day 4 hour infusion of lidocaine several months ago with no benefit. She seemed to have taken the infusion well considering having RSD for 7 years as far as side effects. She and I think that she didn't receive relief from the lidocaine, and earlier ketamine infusions and shots, is because of the length of time she's had RSD. She does, however, like lidocaine cream that she applies on her sore areas, temporary as it is.

daniella 04-23-2009 12:43 PM

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry your wife did not see a benefit and hope she has found or will soon some relief. I think this is more to see how I respond and the next step though he did discuss oral if this helps. I have tried the patches though he said this is way different cause those increased my pain. I have it set just a little nervous which I am usually anyways.

SandyRI 04-23-2009 12:55 PM

Lidocaine research info

Hi - The following is a link to an article that is available on the RSDSA website in the medical articles archives area. It is dated March 2009 and is in regards to 5-day continuous Lidocaine infusions, and is written by Schwartzman:

Author: Schwartzman RJ, Patel M, Grothusen JR, Alexander GM
Title: Efficacy of 5-Day Continuous Lidocaine Infusion for the Treatment of Refractory Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
Source: Pain Med. 2009;10(2):401-412.

Other medical articles that might be of interest to you are also available at RSDSA.org. Here is the link to the archives:

http://www.rsdsa.org/2/library/artic...ive/index.html

Good luck. Sandy

daniella 04-23-2009 12:58 PM

Thank you so much I will read that now.

michelles 04-23-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniella (Post 500099)
I am going to post this here and on PN so if that is not ok I understand and you can delete one. I have RSD and PN as of now but they are still looking more into figuring this out. Anyhow my new pain doctor set out a treatment course starting with the lidocaine IV infusion which I think is a few hours at the hospital and then possibly oral. We are trying to do a few more less invasive things before the temp scs which is a possibility as well. Anyhow can anyone tell me how they responded to the iv and what relief if any,for how long,and side effects?Thank you

daniella.. could please tell me what Lidocaine infusion is? i had a beir block and what they did was put a cuff on my lef which made all the blood run out of the veins in my foot and then put in a iv in my foot and in the iv was Lidocaine, they did that for 1/2 hour. is that the same thing? thank you michelles

daniella 04-23-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelles (Post 500252)
daniella.. could please tell me what Lidocaine infusion is? i had a beir block and what they did was put a cuff on my lef which made all the blood run out of the veins in my foot and then put in a iv in my foot and in the iv was Lidocaine, they did that for 1/2 hour. is that the same thing? thank you michelles

No I think it is different. This one you get an iv in your arm of lidocaine for 2-4 hours in the hospital and they see how your pain responds. If you feel relief then you may do more or try the oral.I have PN too and am not sure if this is more for PN or RSD or what as I have not heard that many doing this on either.

GalenaFaolan 04-23-2009 07:45 PM

I know a woman on another board who responded very well to the lidocaine infusion. She still takes some meds but over the course of getting her infusions it enabled her to go back to work full-time. Yet again, it's one of those things you just have to try and see what your reaction is.

Daniella is correct. A bier block isn't the lidocaine infusion.

Hugs,

Karen

angelrsd 04-23-2009 08:18 PM

i have had this once with lido and it is bascily like an iv drip just with the lido.. beir blocks are differnt .. lido isnt a block

hope this helps

carrie

daniella 04-24-2009 07:21 AM

Angel rsd did you recieve any benefits from this and was it the 2-4 hour one and any side effects?
Galena thank you for the hopeful story I appreciate it